Hook Sizes?

Inshore fishing I have had a hard time setting the hook, what are the recommended sizes for trout, reds sheepshead?
Also I have never been one to let the fish play with the bait too long, If i feel it grab i usually try to set it, thoughts on my process? Should i be doing anything different.
Thanks to all!

You have two ears and one mouth, science would say you should listen twice as much as you speak.

For reds and trout (i dont sheepshead fish) make sure you Use circle hooks and don’t “set” the hook…pick up rod and just start reeling. Let them take the bait…reds will always take bait and run with it when they have it good. Pick it up too early and you’ll lose them every time. Trout the same…set the hook hard on a trout and you risk ripping right through their lip. I typically use 1/0 or 2/0 (and occasionally 3/0)most of the time for both trout and reds. I’ve caught some 35-40" reds on a 2/0 hook without problems and regularly catch 25-30" on them. If i know I’m in big red country (grillage or jetties) ill go 4-5/0.

My experiences…I’m sure others have different ways and tactics.

I use 1/0 owner for just about everything on a carolina rig. The hook is perfect for fiddlers, mud minnows or finger mullet. Very strong and sharp so it doesn’t take much pressure to set the hook.

If your insisting on using a J hook, use a 2/0 for reds and trout. Circle hooks are much more fish friendly and a 1/0-2/0-3/0 is perfect, match bait size to hook size. A 1/0 kahle hook is deadly on flounder and under corks. Try sheephead fishing with a #1 or 1/0 owner mosquito hook, sorta pricey but completely worth it!

I guess I’m using slightly larger hooks than most for reds and trout. I use 3/0 and 4/0 circle hooks with baits like mud minnows and shrimp. And I use 5/0 and 6/0 circle hooks with live mullet and other larger baits. I agree the #1 and #2 Owner Mosquito are great for Sheepshead very strong and very sharp. Hope this helps out and good luck out on the water.

2005 180 Flats Fox w/115 Yamaha 4 stroke
1996 1436 War Eagle w/25 Evinrude 2 stroke

For inshore fishing I always use the smallest hook that I can get by with and still effectively hook the bait. It seems to work for me.

Narcosis

I have been using the 1/0 Mustad Octopus hooks for quite awhile for float rigs and fishing bottom rigs (not from the rod holder). Haddrells sells a large pack of 100ct or so for around $12 bucks. Lately I have been using Owner #1 Mosquito hooks. I got them specifically for sheepshead, but I found the are exceptional for inshore as they are small and light, but very strong. They also very resistant to gut hooking; less so than cirlce hooks when fishing with the rod in the hand. The limits is that 26"+ reds will straighten them out with a heavy drag.

Iain Pelto
Sea Hunt Triton 160 w/ 90 ETEC “JB3”
Native Manta Ray 14

Thanks for all of the input, heading out for the James Island Yacht Club tournament this weekend so i’ll give it a shot. I have not heard of this mosquito hook, i’ll head up to Haddrell’s and check it out.
I’ll post next week with any results from the weekend.
Thanks again.

You have two ears and one mouth, science would say you should listen twice as much as you speak.

Thanks for all of the input, heading out for the James Island Yacht Club tournament this weekend so i’ll give it a shot. I have not heard of this mosquito hook, i’ll head up to Haddrell’s and check it out.
I’ll post next week with any results from the weekend.
Thanks again.

Always tend to see a variety of hook sizes used on here but the common theme is be careful with “setting” the hook. The way it was explained to me is that most of the inshore fish eat shell fish and tend to take the bait in their mouth and crush it first before completely swallowing it (as opposed to immediately inhaling it like a bass). If you immediatly yank on it, you can just yank it out of their mouth. If you just start reeling, they’ll turn away and the circle hook will just do its job in the corner of their mouth. This could be completely wrong, I’m not sure, but seems sensible and goes with a lot of the advice about letting them take it and just start reeling. I typically give a firm rod tip lift (not a yank) at that point just to make sure the hook fully sets. Good luck this weekend!

Just took a trip to Haddrell’s. The guy who worked there set me up with 4/0 circle hooks for reds. I see people saying on here to use smaller, but I trust his judgement.

4/0 is nice for bull reds, but inshore #1 & 1/0 is all you need.

Match hook to bait
1/0 mudminnow under cork (both lips)
2/0 mudminnow on carolina rig (both lips)
2/0 2-4" finger mullet on carolina rig (hooked in back behind dorsal fin)
2/0 frozen shrimp on Cork (thread hook down tail and out)
2/0 frozen shrimp on Carolina rig (thread hook down tail and out)
2/0 live shrimp (hooked in head or tail)
4/0 4-8" mullet on carolina rig (hooked in back behind dorsal fin)