Hook sizes?

OK, for you guys tying flies or even buying them, what is the general consensus for hook sizes when targeting Redfish or trout?
I’ve tied a lot of this type flies, and usually that meant anything from a 4 up to 2/0.

Also, do you guys go to different sizes in the shallow waters than you use in deeper water situations?

I’m looking to tie up some flies & would like some opinions on what you local folks feel is the best all around size for the Charleston area. I don’t have a lot of time for tying right now, so want to concentrate on a size that I might get the most use from.

Thanks!
Jim

I primarily choose hook size based upon the size of fly I am tying. I am primarily going after reds and trouts . For a small sparse clouser I go with a 4, and so on. I generally do stay in the 1/0 thru 4 as far as a range goes. It is a game of preference that comes with experience, You will discover that you will have your favorite sizes based upon the conditions you fish, when I go up in the grass with crab patterns # 2 seems to be my go-to, for shrimp patterns in the grass I prefer a #4 , again just one man’s preference. To stay weed free in the grass smaller always works better for me. If I am fishing a current slot between structure I love a 1/0 as I like a bigger profile so the current can impart better action on the fly… Hope this helps

18 ft Flats n Bay ----150 yamaha

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! Appreciate it! Unfortunately, what you’re doing is what I’ve always done, so not really narrowing it down for me. LOL!

I agree about tying based on the fly size. I was hoping there might be a single size that might get used more than any other.

I’ve been at this for about 48 years, but not much in this area as yet. Fishing for Striped Bass back in MD, I knew what I could get the most use from. I like what you’ve said about the different profiles for different situations, that’s a help.

My go to in grass back in MD was a size 1, but as I said previous, my range was generally 4 to 2/0. In deeper, more open water situations, I used 1/0 & 2/0 most, primarily with baitfish patterns.

Hopefully I’ll get a few more replies, but may just have to go with a couple sizes.

Thanks again!
Jim

I fish a lot of smaller profile baits during the “winter” or times when the water temperature is cooler in Charleston. I have caught a ton of fish on the San Pedro Crab in the past few years during the cooler months. I tie it on a 4 or 6. I use primarily Gamakatsu B10S hooks but they will bend if you put to much heat on them. Tie on a hook you’re confident in for sure success. I rarely find myself fishing anything over a 1, but that is strictly my personal preference.

If I had to go with only 1 size it would be #2, most of the patterns that catch red and trouts can be tied on it…

18 ft Flats n Bay ----150 yamaha

Thanks for the responses! That’s some help! Sounds like I may need to keep things on the smaller end of my size range. I already have plenty of flies tied that I’m sure will be productive here. However, they were tied for back in MD waters primarily, so most are on the larger end of the range. I have to look at my hook supply & see what I have available.

Thanks again!
Jim

Ok well first off all of the responses are pretty much crap unless you know what style hook they are talking about…

A #2 in a B10s is the same as a #1/0 in the SC15… and thats just one example from one hook manufacturer…

Each hook manufacturer measures differently based on the respective style of hook… so really you need to have the hook in hand and look at it to determine if the size is right… as a general rule I like a wide gap, sturdy, and sharp as hell hook… small hooks dont stick as well… at least on redfish… so you’ll never see me tie anything on a #4 in any style hook for a red.

For crab patterns or sliders, or pretty much anything other than a baitfish fly like a clouser lets say, I use the same hook… Gamakatsu SC15 1/0… its pretty much perfect, unless you want to use bead chain, at which point it won’t roll over and ride hook up very well… in those cases you can use a B10S #2, but beware, these hooks will rust, break, and bend… pretty much a crappy hook that I avoid at all costs… sure they’re cheap, but if you’re into tying flies to save money, you should probably just quit…

For anything that I need a longer shank for… say a clouser, or something… I’ll use the SS15, or if I feel like I need the hook to be extra strong, the SL113H… I usually use a 1/0, but that will all depend on how big I need the fly to be, and still keep it proportional…

Mustad makes a few good hooks and there are some other good brands out there… but here in charleston, for availability over the counter, and just general quality, its hard to beat Gamakatsu…

I’ve tied on everything, and I guess in the end this is just my opinion… but you asked… so you got it…

Mad Mike

"to hell with insane… I’m OUTsane!!! "

quote:
Originally posted by Mad_Mike

Ok well first off all of the responses are pretty much crap unless you know what style hook they are talking about…

A #2 in a B10s is the same as a #1/0 in the SC15… and thats just one example from one hook manufacturer…

Each hook manufacturer measures differently based on the respective style of hook… so really you need to have the hook in hand and look at it to determine if the size is right… as a general rule I like a wide gap, sturdy, and sharp as hell hook… small hooks dont stick as well… at least on redfish… so you’ll never see me tie anything on a #4 in any style hook for a red.

For crab patterns or sliders, or pretty much anything other than a baitfish fly like a clouser lets say, I use the same hook… Gamakatsu SC15 1/0… its pretty much perfect, unless you want to use bead chain, at which point it won’t roll over and ride hook up very well… in those cases you can use a B10S #2, but beware, these hooks will rust, break, and bend… pretty much a crappy hook that I avoid at all costs… sure they’re cheap, but if you’re into tying flies to save money, you should probably just quit…

For anything that I need a longer shank for… say a clouser, or something… I’ll use the SS15, or if I feel like I need the hook to be extra strong, the SL113H… I usually use a 1/0, but that will all depend on how big I need the fly to be, and still keep it proportional…

Mustad makes a few good hooks and there are some other good brands out there… but here in charleston, for availability over the counter, and just general quality, its hard to beat Gamakatsu…

I’ve tied on everything, and I guess in the end this is just my opinion… but you asked… so you got it…

Mad Mike

"to hell with insane… I’m OUTsane!!! "

Very informative – thanks for p

Mad Mike, Thanks! I tied commercially for about 15 years, so I’m familiar with most brands, styles & sizes and keep a good stock on hand.

Yes, I asked for opinions. Yours is very much appreciated. I don’t consider any opinion or response as crap. I believe I’ve got the information I was seeking. :wink:

Thanks again guys! :smiley:

I mostly use Gamakatsu SL11-3H size 4 around here or 6 in winter as hurricane suggested. If I want something that sits higher in the water column, SS15 size 2.
Inland stripers and large redfish, SL11-3H size 1.
I typically have the same patterns tied with those 4 hooks.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the reply! :smiley:

But Mike, are you really SURE??? LOL

I haven’t got set up as yet here in SC, but I had a nice tying & lure making room in my basement back in the house I had in MD.

Here’s one of my hook walls. I think I have the hook selection covered pretty well! :smiley:

Here’s some pics of flies I’ve tied for Redfish, LM Bass, Striped Bass & Seatrout.

A few more. :smiley:

Nice ties…where you located if mind me asking?

“Living’s mostly wasting time and I’ll waste my share of mine”

I live in Manning. I’m actually outside of town, near Lake Marion down Rt 260. I’m only about half mile from the dam. :smiley: