Hooked on a rock or Door Mat

Started late today waiting water rise in Bushy Park. Tried a drop shot rig and lost quite a few tackles in the stumps and nothing to show for it. Move on up the Copper and started fishing a new spot but dropped one at the boat. fished the area for quite a while drifting through then starting over again thinking there has to be another flounder here and behold am i pulling a rock?

Suddenly it started swimming and I hit the spot lock on the foot pedal, got the net in place and up comes this door mat and I calmly got it in the net before i got excited. Measured 23" Tagged and released.
. Drank a cold one and headed to the hill. Dropshot 0 original with swim mullet 2-Hooked 1-Landed.

7 Likes

Nice! Thanks for the report!

WOW…
Way to go…

Sweet, that’s a big azz flattie

Camera man, back of the boat please! Make sure you get it all in that frame!!! New name change gonna be Flatrat357

2 Likes

Legend. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks fellows. This area I have never fished before but while travelling up the river some areas just look attractive and I fished it for awhile before hooking this baby.

1 Like

NICE fish!

1 Like

Wish i could hit the flatties like that man!

Great fish pal. Make sure to enter it at releaseover20.org I’d love to see you win the prize!

3 Likes

Will Do!! As you reported you like scouting other areas is how I lucked up on that Door Mat venturing in new waters

2 Likes

Keep them coming brother.

1 Like

Nice Flounder, congrats Fatrat! Glad to hear you are a tagger too.

1 Like

Nice to see you back!

Congrats! Can you describe what makes an area "just look attractive’?

1 Like

Structure, moving water, bait, ambush point

1 Like

Well mdl5155 I look for side streams, definitely sandy area, pockets slower moving tide a few hours before HI or Low. This works for me and rocks of course with that swimbait or minnow falling.

3 Likes

Thanks Fatrat for the info, hard to come by info sometimes

Using artificials, no need to count to 10 or anything like that. They thump it hard! And often that thump will feel like getting stuck on an oyster clump that you slowly drag back to the boat…until it starts head shaking :exploding_head:

1 Like

I look for creeks that often go dry at low tide that have decent oysters. I try to avoid mud bottoms , it holds little life. Along some shore lines you will see areas covered with oyster s with bare sandy areas in between. Ideal spots for flounder

1 Like