Horse carriage tours

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aUbfVFrxNAg

What is yalls opinion on this…

It’s a good thing those same people never saw a horse pull a plow. Get a grip people…

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

What kind of reaction would you like?? A carriage horse trips and falls on a street in Charleston. And it’s considered a news story? Why?
Horses and mules are beasts of burden. Have been and always will be. The carriage company needs healthy horses so that the companies can stay in business. Anyone who believes that these animals are mistreated hasn’t any idea of how well they are actually cared for. The horse remained lying on the ground until the operator removed the harness and made it SAFE for the horse to stand back up.

I wonder if the local news would put as much coverage into an elderly tourist who trips and falls over the bumpy sidewalks in Charleston?

quote:
Originally posted by sea tonic

What kind of reaction would you like?? A carriage horse trips and falls on a street in Charleston. And it’s considered a news story? Why?
Horses and mules are beasts of burden. Have been and always will be. The carriage company needs healthy horses so that the companies can stay in business. Anyone who believes that these animals are mistreated hasn’t any idea of how well they are actually cared for. The horse remained lying on the ground until the operator removed the harness and made it SAFE for the horse to stand back up.

I wonder if the local news would put as much coverage into an elderly tourist who trips and falls over the bumpy sidewalks in Charleston?

Great answer!

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Yes, the horses are TRAINED to remain on the ground until the handler gets them up. This is done to keep them from entangling themselves in the harness, and doing more damage to themselves in the panic, or hurting the equipment.

The real reason is the City of Charleston. They make the carriage companies use some two-tiered horse shoe setup that is far from natural feeling for the horses. The City demands this to not harm the perfect roads of downtown Charleston. This reason is the biggest of them all for why these horses fall down occasionally.

And, yes, these horses are treated better than most people’s pets. They’ll gladly let you take a look at their facilities if you ask nicely…well, they used to - might not now with all this buzz.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

People against it are ignorant. Even reading the comments it’s all, “these horses deserve to live their life in grass on pastures!” Who the hell is going to pay for that? Them? Horses are not cheap. If it weren’t for these carriage tours, there would be no need for these horses and they’d probably be put down.

I think maybe put in a moratorium on how long they can be out after it gets up to be a certain temperature (this may already exist), but that carriage with those chubby Ohioans on it is nothing for those animals to pull. Just people with nothing better to do trying to save the world. There’s actually other things out there that deserve their attention.

quote:
Originally posted by TheMechanic

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aUbfVFrxNAg

What is yalls opinion on this…

Brendan Clark hits the nail on the head in his opening line..... "This story is getting A LOT of attention on social media"

Every statement here is right, furthermore, a horse doesn’t deserve to just live their life in a pasture, they need exercise too. They need to be tacked up and ridden at least every other day. Carriage horses are no different, I do agree with shutting down at a certain temp, as we adhere to the same rules in equitation.

so it sounds like everyone has the same point of view as me :smiley:

and yes, they are treated better than most pets. hell they are treated better than most employees. that last tour i went on was a couple years ago, but at the beginning of the tour the tour guide went over they horses break schedules. they basically pull one or two tours, then get a 15 minute break and get to eat and drink all they want. i dont even get that good of treatment at work.

the owner of the company failed to make a statement on camera, which kind of upsets me. i wish they would go on camera and show/explain everything that goes on behind the scenes to stop the ignorism. (yes i just made up that word)

quote:
Originally posted by TheMechanic

so it sounds like everyone has the same point of view as me :smiley:

and yes, they are treated better than most pets. hell they are treated better than most employees. that last tour i went on was a couple years ago, but at the beginning of the tour the tour guide went over they horses break schedules. they basically pull one or two tours, then get a 15 minute break and get to eat and drink all they want. i dont even get that good of treatment at work.

the owner of the company failed to make a statement on camera, which kind of upsets me. i wish they would go on camera and show/explain everything that goes on behind the scenes to stop the ignorism. (yes i just made up that word)</font id=“red”>

That would’ve made too much sense and therefore probably wouldn’t have made it into the article. People can’t say “those poor horse” when the truth is highlighted.

No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how far you fall…you are never out of the fight.

quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

People against it are ignorant. Even reading the comments it’s all, “these horses deserve to live their life in grass on pastures!” Who the hell is going to pay for that? Them? Horses are not cheap. If it weren’t for these carriage tours, there would be no need for these horses and they’d probably be put down.

I think maybe put in a moratorium on how long they can be out after it gets up to be a certain temperature (this may already exist), but that carriage with those chubby Ohioans on it is nothing for those animals to pull. Just people with nothing better to do trying to save the world. There’s actually other things out there that deserve their attention.

From my understanding, having known some of those that run Old South, the horses temperatures are checked quite often in the warm months. If they’re nearing being too hot they’re quickly removed from the job and sent to cool off and rest up.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

exactly

Horses are people too!

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

and lots of people are donkeys…get it?? har har

Beefarino strikes again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lroZLN1gQnw

RBF

Unfortunately, I think the horses will be gone in a few years because of a few people that have nothing better to do than to take up the cause. Like so many others issues around the country.

These animals are the carriage company’s bread and butter. Of course they are well taken care of.

HLM!!!

No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how far you fall…you are never out of the fight.

quote:
Originally posted by bangstick

HLM!!!

i tried googleing that, then i stopped and thought about it :clown_face:

LOL!!! Get onboard the movement!!

quote:

Perhaps the horse was illustrating to the BLM movement how to handle a situation if approach by the 5-0…

RBF

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Beer Froth
quote:

Perhaps the horse was illustrating to the BLM movement how to handle a situation if approach by the 5-0…

RBF

lay down and wait for your owners to come tell you its ok to get up?