How Hard a Job Is It?

Knowing you are rooting for me is the wind beneath my wings. I’ll keep you posted.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

I worked at an alignment/brake shop back in the 70s’ and used to be comfortable working on stuff like that. But anymore, I’d just as soon have a pro do it. Like PeaPod, I’ve seen my work.:frowning_face:
For example:
I changed the impeller on my '87 Merc. 45hp. motor. I did my research, looking at online manuals and watching you tube videos. “Seems like a pretty straight forward job”, I said to myself.

I already had taken the lower unit out earlier in the week, it was clamped in the vise, cleaned, dry, blown out and ready to go.

The 1st time I put the lower back on, it wouldn’t pee. so back off it comes, to make sure I put all the pieces together right.

2nd time in. I couldn’t get the driveshaft to line up or go in right. I’d forgotten about the rubber bushing/collar that went on the drive shaft and I jammed it in side ways.(30 min. with a piece of welding wire and a flashlight to fish it back out)

3rd time in, what could go wrong? I got it back together and fired her up for testing. Everything worked great! strong stream from the pee hole, everything seems as it should. I put it into forward & looked back, something didn’t look right. The prop was going backwards! Shifted into reverse and the prop went forward. Well I guess on the last go around, I somehow managed to move the shift dog. Back apart once again.

4th time back together and I think I’ve got it! Woo Hoo! Everything works right!:smiley::smiley:

It only took me 3 hrs. for a 20 minute job.:dizzy_face:

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
Custom Aluminum Fabrication
803-727-4069

I’m pretty good with my hands and at $300+ I’ll give it a go. With a kid in college, every $ saved helps. I feel ya Bob, I have had a few experiences like that myself but, I have uauslly learned from them and it adds to my list of “have dones”.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

With a kid in college, every $ saved helps.

I’m rapidly approaching that time, myself, and I hear ya loud and clear!

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com | www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
President, Summerville Saltwater Anglers

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Luckily my son isn’t currently driving the truck as he is away at school and can’t have a car freshman year. Since it is just sitting, I am trying to fix a few things to get a few more years out of it. It is low miles (only 57,000) so it should last a little while longer.

Peapod, if something bad “happens”, I’ll instruct my wife to post it here so you’ll know. I don’t want you to wonder and worry.

I’ll have to look into that “string technique” Fred. Never heard of that before.

Great Goodness… 57,000 on an 1999 S10! You’ve got many miles to go!

Hear ya on the collage thing. My last daughter started, even with a life time scholar ship it still takes a chunk of change.

On the string method. The rear axle is fixed (no adjustment) when you run a string around all four tires (very tight) you can see the gap on the front tires telling you which way they need to go to align with the back axle. this will give you toe and most likely caster and camber will be ok unless the truck has taken a hard impact or off from the factory.

When I worked at the afore mentioned alignment shop, we would “scribe” the tires to get toe-in/out measured. We had a special little tool, but just about any sharp pointy thing would work. Something with a handle, like an awl. Jack the vehicle up so the tires are just off the ground & make sure the wheels are pointing straight ahead. Firmly hold the awl in the center of the tire, at the lower fwd. side, facing rear and just spin the tire. You are basically dragging the awl on the tire. You should get a nice crisp line to measure. I hope this makes sense. It reads a lot harder than it really is.

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
Custom Aluminum Fabrication
803-727-4069

If you use Happy Bobs method(which I would), after scribing the lines, set the front end down and take the measurements across the marks on the front and rear of the tires. Adjust until the front measurement is 1/8" to 1/4" less than the measurement at the rear. Will be more than close enough to get you to the alignmnet shop.