How much electricity do we need?

NN. I think we all learned about the laws of thermodynamics around the 7th grade. I should have asked you how much the losses were and if we are using mostly fossil fuels to make power for cars the carbon footprint probably won’t change that much. I read some numbers recently that showed that wind ( bird killers) and solar were very small. I like the idea of more nuclear power. I was stationed on board the USS Wainwright. The first nuke ship in the US Navy and it was fast Powerful, Clean and dependable. I’m not so sure the renewables will catch up so fast. What say you Double?

China to activate world’s first ‘clean’ nuclear reactor in September | Live Science

Advanced Small Modular Reactors (SMRs) | Department of Energy

The utilization of thorium in Small Modular Reactors – Part I: Neutronic assessment - ScienceDirect

Development of Tiny Thorium Reactors Could Wean the World Off Oil In Just Five Years (popsci.com)

We all see it and know it for what it’s worth. The Troll is now scrambling for relevance. Thorium reactors erected in a Cookie cutter fashion would be great. But why do we need to be weaned off Fossil fuel so quickly? The infrastructure is here. Our government could step in and start Drilling and drive the price of fossil fuel down even lower than Trump had the prices 2 years ago. While we are going through the cheep readily available resource we could spruce up Battery technology and then maybe start pushing solar. A couple hundred years is a lot of time while using fossil fuel. Heck, today’s diesel emissions are cleaner that the air they use to run. we are putting the cart in front of the horse.

Sorry CFC for feeding the troll, but it’s just so aggravating seeing through the what it has done to this place and now seeks relevance. Like the little boy that cried wolf.

1 Like

Rather interesting the state with the majority of fossil fuel production leads in wind and solar… Geez, I wonder why… Ironic it is a Repub state…

Wind and solar power are ‘bailing out’ Texas amid record heat and energy demand | CNN

Interesting it mentions storage is critical… When there are more EVs, and they’re plugged into the grid the power companies can access this reserve power with the EV owners permission… EV owners can actually make money via rate arbitrage… Power up in the evenings and allow the power companies to use the capacity during peaking times… EVs will be able to stop it when the batteries reach a certain level determined by the owner… Meaning if you only wanted to sell half you energy storage to the grid you could do so, and then have enough to get back home if you were at work, etc. depending on the range needed… Then, just plug back in at home and recharge at night… Huge opportunity for energy companies and related grid management… All the EV battery management conditions can be set by the owner via smart phones…

Read an article yesterday that they were successful with mixing 20% hydrogen with Natural Gas producing, I think 265MW during this test with 7% reduction in carbon. It was in Ga.

NN

NB, gotta have the storage for the renewables to get best bang for the buck.

As we all have seen, politics runs this show…I do know many solar projects planned for the next year or so are being pushed out/delayed…supply chain???

NN

So according to the laws of thermodynamics there will be a power loss putting the power in storage batteries ,and a loss taking it out. So since this is so politically charged what could possibly go wrong?

Also double N , since the price per barrel of crude oil is high , then are the power companies paying more ? Or are they protected by long term contracts.

One other thing NN , during the Trump years fuel prices jumped up once but Trump quickly got the prices back down . Did he make OPEC an offer they couldn’t refuse ?or did we drill and pump like crazy?

that’s some neat stuff! Hope nobody ends up dead over it. lot’s of potential in Hydrogen.

I really wonder just how many alternative energy sources and supplies have been swept under the rug through patents being bought out and silenced? I remember reading an article on GM having a v8 with a single barrel carb getting 50+ mpg in the 50’s.

That would have been Smoky Yunick’s hot vapor gasoline engine. Instead of the usual carburetor feeding the engine atomized gasoline . The fuel was heated in a loop of exhaust pipe until it vaporized. The engine never made it to a nascar track because it certainly was not stock.

Smoky was an interesting man and he studied nascar rules and found the loopholes. On a the Petty #43 car there was a rule about how much fuel the tank could hold so Smoky replaced the standard 1 1/2” fill pipe with a 3” fill pipe shaped like a sideways S Once he inflated a basket ball in an oversized fuel tank for the pre race inspection then deflated it and topped off the tank just before the race.

Smoky passed but his daughter has the hot vapor engine in his museum that used to be his car repair shop in Daytona Beach Florida. “ Smoky’s best dam car shop in town”. I think the hot vapor engine had some cold start issues and some occasional explosions. But back then 60 mpg at 180 mph was incredible

that’s not the one I’m thinking of, but dang it, old boy had it going on! Better emissions and fuel milage on a carburetor than on any modern computer controlled engine.

1 Like

So EVs are really the ultimate virtue signaling of current climate change activism. In essence if you support EVs you are supporting China and in favor of killing Congo children at the expense of your cult like activities. How else would you put it?

I’m really liking Truth Social. The real truth !

1 Like

1 Like

e765d198-5f99-4a00-9402-a5fcb754cdc0-VPC_GRETA_THUNBERG_EMOTIONAL_DESK_THUMB

1 Like

Man, Obama is doing it up right… He’s gonna have a huge outdoor grilling party when Drumpf gets locked up… YEEHAW!

Oh yes, almost forgot… Since folks above have inserted politics into the discussion, this needs to be moved to the proper forum…

Cp. Clearly, we cannot expect wind and solar to ever be ramped up to meet our energy needs, even in combination with hydro.

:point_up_2:t2:We need to face this reality