How The Oil Pump Works

Can someone 'splain to me how the oil pump works or is supposed to work. I’m talking about the one from the reservoir/sub tank that fills the little tank on the outboard. Let me see if I have this right…

So, the on-engine little tank gets filled from the sub tank once the smaller tanks sees a low enough level? And should trigger the sub tank to fill the engine tank before the red light and buzzer come on?

Then once that little tank gets full it stops the pump until needed again?

Now, if that’s correct and I’m getting the left red light and buzzer with a full enough sub tank to fill the little one, yet the smaller tank is not filling, is it safe to assume the oil pump in the sub tank is bad or not getting power at a minimum? I even held the toggle switch on the motor to force fill the little tank to no avail also. Once I manually added some oil to the little tank the light and buzzer stopped and got me through the day, thank goodness a fella at the landing had a quart he gave me although I forced two 5$ bills in his hands quickly during the handshake which I refused to not let him accept. Anyway, just trying to see where I’m at with this thing… ordered and whole new tank assembly and stainless bracket too, mine literally fell apart as I was pushing and pulling on the tank to do an inspection…

I would highly recommend doing away with that auto injection system and mix your own.

Sooner or later if you dont you will wish you did.

I know stuff, by experience. My experience says keep it simple, like you are seeing, there are to many moving parts

Plus, its just easier

Back in the day yes, And I did on most all with oil injection. Seen too many plastic gears strip out on a metal one driving it. Today’s 2 cycles are pretty bullet proof IMO and then you have to bypass the safety lights and buzzers if you don’t want to see them. But … If you don’t mind the aggravation of measuring and mixing that does make it foolproof.

What engine? Could be something as simple as a clogged pick up tube screen.

I had a Mercury 60 horse was going to disconnect the oil pump but was told they were pretty much bulletproof.
The pump was but the check valve was not. And of course no buzzer or warning light. Cooked a cylinder.
I know that don’t answer your question. I thought I’d put that out there…

06 Vmax 150, carbed

There’s a small filter on those engines that clog. A common problem for them. Follow the supply from the large tank to the small one. Usually it’s near the bottom corner, of the big tank.