Huge grouper, deep dives, sharks. Slay Rides Again

The Slay Ride finally got back on the water and Capt Les was due some fish in the boat! We also had Gina, Gordo, Greg, Mr Bob, and Ronnie on board.

Trolled around Edisto banks trying to locate a couple of wrecks and Gina put a dolphin in the box. Gave up on locating the wrecks and did a trimix dive on a confirmed wreck we have dove before. Cold thermocline at about 85’ that looks like you are hitting bottom. Zero vis from 85 to 110’ but clear blue water above and very dark 30’ visibility below I put a nice fish in the boat on the wreck. Les got a nice scamp and saw a 50+ grouper that wanted nothing to do with us.

Half a day gone and we didn’t have much groceries in the boat. We head to a spot nearby that we affectionately named “Harris Teeter” (good for groceries) in 165’. I shoot a some nice fish and have to promptly send it up on a liftbag when the tax collector showed up. The shark had its fins down in that aggressive posture. Swam at him fast gun pointed and he took off. In a sharks mind food doesn’t swim towards you. :slight_smile: At the end of the ledge I spotted a hole between rocks Already well into deco I took the gamble and went down to check it out. I was hanging upside down and could just make out a gags tail. Held the gun sideways across my body figuring where the kill spot would be and pulled the trigger with my thumb since i couldn’t see and shoot. The shaft didnt move, figuring I missed i started pulling the shaft out of the hole and I’ll be damned if there wasn’t a mid 40+ gag stone cold dead on the end. Of course on cue the shark shows up again. Lift bagged up that gag while i watched one of the biggest cobia I’ve ever seen cruise right up to me and swim off. Well into deco while liftbagging a charcoal belly and fighting off sharks is not the time to wrestle a monster cob so I let him swim.

That shark left but during Deco another 250-300 pound shark came in agitated. That didn’t bother me… what bothered me was the large 1 1/2 foot bite mark in that shark that was still oozing

good grief!!! can i ride with you guys sometime?

AWESOME!!!

Pioneer 220 Baysport
Yamaha F250

www.monckscornermarine.com

In 165’ of water, how much sun light do you have and do you ever take pictures that deep?

Fun day. Long day on the Slay Ride is always a good day. Glad to be back in the water.

Lobster for dinner. Tasy.

Awesome! What did that big Gag weigh? I am glad that divers are not allowed in Phins’ Grouper / Snapper challenge. Great picture of the Sheik!

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

quote:
Originally posted by sellsfish Great picture of the Sheik!

A very rare picture indeed. He has a way of sneeking around the camera for some strange reason…I think he’s a spy!!!

Be there or be on the Short Bus!!

2005 236 Sailfish
225 Yamaha 4-stroke

Nice work Slay Ride team. We did a few dives in 100’ yesterday. I would say, “not much to see”, but I couldn’t see even that far. Viz was 5-10’ at best. I’m glad we didn’t have any sharks that I know about or my fins would have been half way down his throat before I could see him. Lobs still have eggs on them so had to let some go. Also had a really mean lobster put a vice grip on my hand for a few seconds which kind of hurt.

Awsome!

What kind of sharks were they? I have heard enough shark stories from you “Extreme” dive boys lately to make me weary of just riding in the boat. I have seen tons of pics of you with big fish and lobster, time to shoot a BIG shark. Come on what say? These fish are going to begin associating divers with food and I don’t see where it would hurt to remove one of them before they remove a few of us. Not suggesting to kill big numbers or destroy the resource. Just shoot one big one. I am sure we can find someone to eat him so that it does not go to waste. Take it to the homeless shelter or something.

Lets see it.:wink:

REPUBLICAN
Because not everyone can be on welfare

All Rise - 31 Contender Fish Around with a pair of 250 Yamahas

WOW
I dont what to say other than wish I could catch one of them around Bushy Park or have you send me a live one down to one of em ; ) . That story is just plain excitin. Thanks for sharin.

Go Wildcats!

14’ Pamlico 140 Angler w/ rudder
Switching to lead-free tackle.

i wanna comment on the beautiful lobster…like to have a bite of that tail haha…great fishing guys

Great pix…and great report. Thanks for sharing. I’m like Scoutin…why don’t you shoot one of those BIG sharks and post the pix. That will solidify my reluctance to dive any more. I’m afraid my family will be calling me for dinner…and one of those big sharks will have already had dinner…ME! NOT a pleasant thought.

quote:
Originally posted by hwilcox

Great pix…and great report. Thanks for sharing. I’m like Scoutin…why don’t you shoot one of those BIG sharks and post the pix. That will solidify my reluctance to dive any more. I’m afraid my family will be calling me for dinner…and one of those big sharks will have already had dinner…ME! NOT a pleasant thought.

Not sure he has it in him…:smiley:

“No tail like Split Tail…”

quote:
Originally posted by Split Tail

Weren’t you supposed to come pick up some grouper today…

Rob Harding
Charleston diving
http://www.charlestondiving.com
(Fish not Biting? Try a fast presentation of spring steel)</font id=“green”>

I need a boat!

quote:
Originally posted by hwilcox

id call it bad ju ju. dont F with the top predators and hopefully they wont F with you:smiley:

quote:
Originally posted by CharlestonDiving
quote:
Originally posted by Split Tail

Weren’t you supposed to come pick up some grouper today…

Rob Harding
Charleston diving

I need a boat!

I’ll be there today…stop yelling!

Nice fish when are goin`:stuck_out_tongue:

Split Tails 15 pounds of grouper filet’s are up for grabs if he’s a no show again today. :smiley:

When it comes to shooting sharks I don’t shoot anything I’m not going to eat. But If I’m truly in danger of bodily harm I’ll shoot them in a heartbeat but i try not to whenever possible.

Rob Harding
Charleston diving

I need a boat!

It’d be a lot of fun to hang on the anchor line and watch you guys fight those big’uns.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 13 year old
1 - 9 year old
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC / Talk Carolina/Clemson sports @ Palmetto State Rivals www.palmettostaterivals.com