Hydraulic Steering - Baystar or Uflex?

Thoughts on which one will serve me better? I have only had experience with the Baystar and Seastar units, some good, some bad, mostly just they work but take a lot of maintenance to keep in good shape.

If you had your druthers, which one would you go with and why?

Where to buy? Amazon seems cheapest, but surely someone local could match a similar price? $540 for the Baystar on Amazon.

Thanks

I’ve only used Seastar steering units. I’m certainly not a “Seastar guy”, they’ve just always been on the boats I’ve owned. Never had any issues with them.

I also use only Seastar and Baystar. The only difference between them is the HP rating. I think Baystar is rated for 150 and Seastar for up to 300 or so. Both are quality units and don’t require much maintenance. Never tried a Uflex, don’t know.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

The Uflex Hytech unit supposedly has more robust seals and even “double sealed” according to some reviews. It’s a bit more expensive ($50 more), and it looks better in my opinion.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

if you can buy a baystar steering system for $540, you need to do that, that is below my cost.

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org
IF I RESPOND IN ALL CAPS, ITS NOT ON PURPOSE, AND I AM NOT YELLING

quote:
Originally posted by chris V

if you can buy a baystar steering system for $540, you need to do that, that is below my cost.

www.joinrfa.org

(**(), that’s just on Amazon.

Chris do you have any experience with the Uflex systems? The more I read, the more I’m convinced to spend the extra little bit of money.

Wadmalaw native

Had a Baystar System for 7 years. No issues at all. I probably would step up to Seastar if I had a 150 though. I think 115-125 is realistic range for Baystar.

Chris, you need to find a better distributor. They are all over the web for $540.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

I’m still running a carbed 150 and put the Baystar on about 5 or 6 years ago. I have had no problems thus far. Hell, my boat came with a single Teleflex cable. Good product in my mind.

Being superstitious is bad luck.
21’ Wellcraft “Drama Queen”
Time and tide wait for no man.

I went with the Hytech 1.0 system from Uflex…I’ll report my thoughts back ASAP.

Wadmalaw native

WE HAVE USED A FEW UFLEX SYSTEMS OVER THE YEARS, AND SEEM TO BE OKAY

www.joinrfa.org