Hydrogen Powered Outboards

Yamaha Develops Hydrogen Fuel System with Roush and Regulator Marine, Hydrogen Outboard Unveiled at - Yamaha Outboards

Was bound to happen. Seems like a better option than electric for water/saltwater to me. Of course it’s Yamaha and Roush leading the way. I like that.

Electrolysis only produces a small amount of Hydrogen. Other than that, producing Hydrogen requires more, conventional,l energy to produce, than it puts out.

I can only imagine the size of the fuel cell to carry enough Hydrogen to facilitate a recreational fishing trip?

Sounds like another, expensive, virtue signaling, venture?

Sooner or later… it’s coming. Just like electric…

Most hydrogen come from the decomposition of natural gas (methane). Just cut the base of the triangle and run stuff on LNG. In a lab, some of us old timers managed to liquefy natural gas with a little home spun engineering. I understand about 40% of homes are passed by a natural gas pipe line. I have pondered for years why we don’t produce an air conditioner size unit to liquefy gas and pump it into a tank on your car.

Some good points and something to think about. Thanks.

The home refuel condenser? … A couple of interlocks for safety and seems like a skid/unit for something like that would be feasible. Probably would have a more reliable or consistent mpg’s than electric that depends on the so many variables.

Back to the outboards, they would need to be ‘refilled’ also… guess I better read up on that part too. Hasn’t hydrogen power been around for a long-time kind of already? Technology might be catching up. We will see it appears.

@EngineeringExplained
1 year ago (edited)

The video demonstrates the problem that’s likely the most difficult to solve relating to hydrogen combustion vehicles, though there are other technical challenges. The fueling infrastructure doesn’t exist, but it could. Most of today’s hydrogen comes from natural gas reformation (hence, carbon emissions), but it can be made cleanly with electrolysis, if the energy source is clean. Making clean hydrogen energy requires tons of energy, but if you’re able to generate abundant clean energy, it’s slightly less of an issue (efficiency will always matter). Combustion inefficiency makes hydrogen driving quite costly considering it’s the equivalent of paying $15/gal. Hydrogen combustion also has NOx emissions, despite no CO2 (okay, a little CO2 from engine oil). NOx is difficult to avoid with combustion engines. Realistically, today’s hydrogen engines are less efficient than gasoline/diesel (meaning the bucket situation is very likely worse than shown in the video), but they haven’t been perfected as much as gas/diesel. Still, fuel cells & EVs will always be more efficient. And you still need to make sure the 10,000 psi pressure vessel has a safe location in the vehicle. There are many challenges, but it’s an interesting subject. Below are related videos, if you’re interested in learning more! Gasoline vs Hydrogen Engine Differences - https://youtu.be/l6ECwRnJ0Sg How Toyota’s Hydrogen Engine Works - https://youtu.be/3IPR50-soNA Mazda’s Rotary Hydrogen Engine - https://youtu.be/U-n5L0cXcpg Why Hydrogen Engines Are A Bad Idea - https://youtu.be/1Ajq46qHp0c How Hydrogen Fuel Cells Work - https://youtu.be/0jnZFGx_4kY

Found this on a very interesting youtube vid…
c/p

Very well explained and busts a lot of bubbles along the way. Still, innovation is coming on daily, there’s no telling where this will actually end if you ask me.

The Unfortunate Truth About Toyota’s Hydrogen V8 Engine - YouTube

I really am perplexed as to why any decent sized corporation would chase H2 as a fuel.

The push for it is rooted in the global warming scare mongering. Gotta get off of fossil fuels or we’re all gonna die.

The issue with H2 lies in the distinction between a fuel and an energy SOURCE. H2 is a fuel but not a source. To make H2, you have to use some other energy source… so H2 is just repackaged something else. In reality it will always be repackaged fossil fuels. The renewable/green (not renewable and not green) options (wind/solar) can’t operate at sufficient scale to produce enough H2 to make any real difference.

Just so we understand how inadequate wind/solar are… A real scientist guy (Pielke) had an article on forbes.com 5 yrs or so back where he took the amount of energy the world uses in fossil fuels and what it would take to replace that amount of energy (Net-Zero) by 2050. The answer was in order to do that with windmills, you’d have to literally carpet an area the size of the continental US with 'em. To do just the oil/gas the US uses (not the world) it would take a windmill farm the size of the state of Montana. And, that would assume you could find enough locations with appropriate environments to put up the ■■■■ things.

The environmental costs would be like nothing humans have done to our planet, yet… and by many multiples.

So, if CO2 is the issue, H2 is not a solution.

Just in case anyone’s wondering… No, CO2 is not a problem. It is plant food.