Identification

Two things first of all what type of fish is this, jumps a ton and was really fun to pull in… About 18 inches long, in the Intercoastal. Secondly, hooked into something today that spooled my 6000 FG reel , full drag barely slowed it down, also snapped the rod when the line got to the end oops… Any comments about what it could be in the Intercoastal , thank a ton for all the information in here…

Ladyfish and Big AZZ shark

NN

07, 23 Key West, Twin 115 Yammys

“Coastal Bound”

www.joinrfa.org/

That picture is of a ladyfish. They are notorious jumpers, good for shark bait and known as the Poor Man’s Tarpon.

You probably got spooled by a 150-200 lb tarpon. Remember that if you never saw it, it could be whatever you want it to to.

Guess I’m going to buy a bigger rod and better reel this week, lol… Thank you for the help…

175 Scout SportFish

" full drag barely slowed it down, also snapped the rod when the line got to the end oops"

comedy right there!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Skiptyler1

Two things: First of all, what type of fish is this, jumps a ton and was really fun to pull in… About 18 inches long…

First: The fish is a "Ten Pounder".

And B: That’s one of my favorite measuring devices; Deck Boards. I’ve got pictures of 5-Boarders and 6-Boarders but, that was back when they used 6" boards. :smiley:

Fun report, Skiptyler1. When you re-rig; remember what happened and try to think of a better place for your set-up to break and ‘design’ it into the mix.