Improving Truck's Appearance

My oldest son is driving a 1999 Chevy S10 that only has 67,000 miles on it. It runs great and for the most part is in good condition and looks pretty good. The clearcoat on the hood is starting to peel so its starting to look a little raggedy. I’ve seen those films you can apply and have considered doing the hood a matte black (truck is dark cherry). Does anyone have any experience with this film or have any suggestions for making it look more presentable? Can the hood be wet-sanded and a new clearcoat put on? Just looking for relatively inexpensive options.

I’m looking to hang on to it a while longer as my 15 year old will be driving soon and the truck will become his.

Thanks

I would be very interested to hear what you find you my truck has the same problem with the paint peeling off on the hood. Last year, I replaced the actual headlight covers since after 13 years mine were so faded. It was incredible how it made the truck look so much nicer. I found them online for $120 for the whole set and installing took maybe 10 mins.

17’ Mako

Good old Southern sun and a clear coat!

I got my youngest a Mazda B2300 and it was doing the same. I took it to Maaco 4 years ago and spent $399.00. If it quits raining I’ll send you a pic of it. They did a great job, and it’s holding up good. They seem to run all kinds of specials from time to time.

They tried to talk me into a lot more stuff, but I was adamant about just the basic base coat/clear coat. To have several small dings and a little better quality paint was going to be $1100. Which really isn’t bad considering the cost of a paint job from most body shops.

Yes you can fine sand and reapply a rattle can clear coat, but if the hood is doing it the roof and rest will be right behind.

Edit: with that low mileage you could easily justify a complete paint job. Used trucks over the past few years are ridiculously pricey. Not sure what rims are on it (some of the s10 had some nice factory ones), but a ramble through Craig’s list may produce some sporty rims and tires for it… ?

“Why Bruce?”

I would sand it smooth and plasti-dip it. Rattle cans work well if hook is standing up, just follow directions to a T.

Also, at www.dipyourcar.com you can buy it in kits to do the whole truck for just north of $200…stuff is really cool and is very durable if applied properly.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy

I would sand it smooth and plasti-dip it. Rattle cans work well if hook is standing up, just follow directions to a T.

Also, at www.dipyourcar.com you can buy it in kits to do the whole truck for just north of $200…stuff is really cool and is very durable if applied properly.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

That’s the ticket!

Conner can knock it out in a weekend!

If you can feather sand the old clear and scuff the entire truck without cutting through the base “hard to do” its possible to shoot a top coat of clear and it will look fairly good…Try wet sanding with 1500 max grit;;;Matte black hood would look awesome on dark cherry red vehicle!!

Maco

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

hey doug, im in columbia too. I have some matte black leftover from painting my M3. you can bring it over and we can sand it down, primer it, and shoot it if you want. just bring the beer…

If I’m posting, its because I’m sitting here at work, dreaming about fishing.

You can also swing by a sign and vinyl shop. I’ll bet you could get the hood vinyl wrapped for about $100.

Otherwise, go with MAACO. Don’t even go for the base/clear, just get the single stage special.

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boat drinks!

Did the hood scoop and tail on my Subaru with the rattle can metal flake base and clear coat. It turned out pretty well. I had to do a lot of sanding getting the rattle can base coat to get it ready for the clear coat.

Sanded 400 to solid surface.

Sanded 600 and then 800.

Vacuum and acetone wipe.

Shot 3 coats of base color.

Sand 600, 800, 1000 to nice smooth mat finish.

Vacuum and acetone wipe.

Shot 3 coats of clear coat.

Sanded 1500.

Buffed.

It turned out pretty well. Color match to the rest of the car is not perfect. But, you have to look to see it.

It took me at least four hours to get those two fairly small parts done well.

If I had the time, and your base coat is still intact, I’d sand all the clear coat off and reapply.

If I didn’t have the time, I’d pay someone to do it.

17’ Henry O Hornet w/ Johnson 88 spl
26’ Palmer Scott project hull
14’ Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25

If you decide to go with new wheels and tires let me know. I have a practically new set of AR Bullet hole rims and tires that only have 5000 miles on them. Put them on a 99 S10 Blazer and it broke down. Only thing keeping me from scraping it is the wheels.

how many miles on that s10 bigfishfan?

i may be interested in buying it. i could use a little beater. did the motor blow?

PM sent so as not to high jack this thread

Columbia Pull a Part has 7 on the lot of your same body style. Might worth taking a look and seeing if they have a better hood you could pick up reasonably and might get the same color. I don’t recall their being many color options on those. Like red, black and white seem to always be common so might luck out.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Thanks for all the input guys, gives me some options to think about.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

if I had your money, I’d buy him a new truck. he’s probly got straight A’s to boot. turn loose of some of that $ DF

I need a beater too. i’m interested in bidding against themechanic

I looked up the wrap for my Bronco hood. It started at 300. Seems a bit much for a huge sticker. I could get a new hood, even carbon fiber one for not much more. Sand it and rattle can it otherwise. .

He does very well in school Pea but, I’m driving an 11 year old truck so no new one for him. Planning to get him (with him contributing some of his own $) something newer as I worry about him driving back and forth from CofC home. His little brother will be driving next spring so the plan is to give him the S10. It’s a good little truck, hoping to squeeze a few more years out of it. It isn’t the mileage, its the age.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?