Independence day fishing

Had been fishing the past few months but were running after whitings and been hitting them pretty good with some nice size to them. One was so nice I thought it was a spottail at first but it was a nice Bullhead whiting. Anyway, Got up a bit late but that was ok because of incoming tide at Bushy Park. Ran around a curve or two up the Cooper River and Hooked a couple bigboy whom were not interested in being Netted. Well let the tide push me on up the Cooper and missed a couple flounders and as I was retrieving a minnow here comes a flounder that swiped at my bait. Kept drifting and caught three Reds and one flounder. Man was it hot or I’m getting too Ole for these mid day gleaming Sun.

2 Likes

The King! Welcome back sir. Real good to see you reprting again, and congrats on some hot weather fishing… And no way you’re not too old, it’s just that dang hot! You catch your minnows or get em from Blackwells?

You and the pup stay cool, see ya!

1 Like

Glad to see you back here Fatrat. Thanks for the report. Do you do better on the flounder with live baits or artificials? I’ve been trying to train myself to fish artificials for them.

I perfer finger mullets but my casting sucks but I do well with mud minnows for flounders. StumpNocker I normally get them at Blackwell but had to hit Haddrells in Windermere West Ashley knowing I had to wait on tide getting up a bit to get out.

2 Likes

Nice post, good to see you back! I’m like you brother, not real keen on that midday sun during the summer. You always seem to catch at least one flounder.

DFreedom I strickly fish for flounder when I’m out there but after setting hooks for whitings I gotta get my mindset back to being patient with flounders.

I only catch flounder by accident when I am dragging a mud minnow on a jig head across the bottom.

I had to work at it and at one point I was missing alot of fish and a co-worker said I probably was pulling bait from a flounder and sho nuf I went back to some of those same area and was surprised to start catching flounders. All my rods, reels and jigs are the same. This way I get the same feel for my flounder strikes. So far so Good. Headed out tomorrow morning.

2 Likes

Hope to see you continue posting Fat!