Inshore Kayak newbie

I’m looking for advice / pointers. First, a little back ground info. I started fishing for reds in Winyah about 3 years ago in my Key West CC…basically, using a cork and shrimp. Last summer, I purchased a kayak and started kayak fishing (freshwater) and I’m hooked ! So, this year, I’m headed to the coast with my yak to chase reds, trout, and flounder ( I’m 50 years old and I’ve never caught a flounder) I’m looking for areas with kayak access around Georgetown or Murrells Inlet…also in the Charleston area. Also, being new to inshore fishing with artificial bait, and wanting to keep my gear to a minimum (kayak)…looking for suggestions for baits and techniques. Thanks in advance for any info.

Welcome to the addiction! There is a launch up at Murrells at Oak Creek - I think it called the “oyster shell recycling” area, but there is a hard-bottomed area that is a popular spot to launch. It is past Brookgreen Gardens on the right, before the Hwy 17 split.

Closer to town is Paradise boat ramp in Awendaw…very popular with the kayak fishing crowd, along with nearby Gadsdenville Road launch into Copahee Sound. Good luck!

-Lewis
http://www.lowcountrykayakanglers.com
http://www.facebook.com/groups/lowcountrykayakanglers/

search youtube for toobusy . He has a lot of great videos published regarding kayak fishing advice and techniques.

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there’d be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

'88 Henry 'O Challenger
Malibu X-13
WS Pamlico 120 Angler

I’m headed down the G-town / Murrells Inlet area this weekend to do a little pre-spring scouting. The oyster landing on Oak creek is on my list of places to check out. Awendaw is a small town…I’m assuming that if I stop in and ask, someone could point me in the direction of Paradise Landing.
Looking at Google maps, there is a nice looking boat ramp way in the back of North Inlet(creeks)…The only way in is a dirt road that goes through Goat Island…does anyone know if this ramp is public access ?

2003 Key West 1720 Sportsman
2015 Ocean Kayak BG2

Paradise Boat Ramp is at the end of Chandler Road.

-Lewis
http://www.lowcountrykayakanglers.com
http://www.facebook.com/groups/lowcountrykayakanglers/

Thanks, elgeebee…I found it…about 46 miles south of G-Town. I’ll check it out tomorrow. I had no idea that area was Awendaw. I thought Awendaw was just the little town just south of McClelanville…As you can tell, I have a lot to learn about the low country.

2015 Ocean Kayak BG2

quote:
Originally posted by Bowfin

search youtube for toobusy . He has a lot of great videos published regarding kayak fishing advice and techniques.

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there’d be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

'88 Henry 'O Challenger
Malibu X-13
WS Pamlico 120 Angler

Thanks for the endorsement. Glad the videos are still helpful.

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boat drinks!

I just subscribed to Too Busy’s channel and watched about 23 of his tech tips. Good stuff ! Thank you sir for taking the time to make the videos…they are a wealth of information for us newbies.

2015 Ocean Kayak BG2

My favorite one is the one where he shows you how to use crab to catch reds. 30 seconds after he throws his line out he has a bite. I look hard and never can spot the scuba diver has has to have in the water sticking that redfish on the line.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

My favorite one is the one where he shows you how to use crab to catch reds. 30 seconds after he throws his line out he has a bite. I look hard and never can spot the scuba diver has has to have in the water sticking that redfish on the line.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Yeah…that one was pretty sweet.

2015 Ocean Kayak BG2