Installing VHF Radio - Pics Added

Gonna install my radio Friday before my trip down to Hilton Head this weekend (hopefully the weather will hold out)… anyway, would there be any problem with my VHF sharing a switch with say, my stereo?

“Getaway”
2008 Sea Fox 197 CC
2008 Suzuki 140

The stereo and the VHF are both power hogs. I would put them on a sepaerate switch in order to bypass any potential problems that might occur from overload when both are turned on. I would also make sure you have a big power supply wire coming into the panel. For what it is worth.

Rog

“Double Trouble”
2001 Sea Fox 230
2001 Merc 200

What he said.

“The Fish Whisperer”
Goose Creek, SC

yep run seperate switches.

No one knows if YOU are THE village IDIOT or not until YOU open your mouth and speak!!!

Seperate switch, If for no other reason it’s nice to be able to turn off the stereo quickly to hear something on the VHF. If you don’t have any extra switches open, one could just run the (fused) hot wire from VHF directly to the positive stud feeding the switch panel and run the ground to a common ground, usually a post as well.

Russ B.
Psalm 55:22

Depends on which stereo power wire you have running to the stereo switch.

If you have the stereo’s power-on lead (RED wire) running to the switch, it only pulls a max of 1 amp, so you’ll be fine piggy-backing the VHF on the switch (My VHF has a 6 amp fuse, your’s should be similar). However, if you have the YELLOW wire from the stereo running to the switch (or both the RED and YELLOW), that wire pulls 15 amps or so, and I wouldn’t advise adding the VHF to it.

Baker
Old, beat up 17’ McKee

Seperate switches…I learned the hard way. Also…if you have a T Top on your Seafox and you plan on having the VHF in the box; when you run the power through the T top make sure you route it so it won’t chafe (sp?) and short. I had a bad experience with that too. For what that’s worth

Mike
“Seahawk” 204CC Angler, 150 Merc

The way that I deal with this issue on my boats is to install a headlight / foglight relay picked by an accesory switch and controlling a high current supply to a terminal strip. Radios, sonar and such are wired to the terminal strip. The relay is rated at 30 amps and I fuse the supply at 25. The real benefit is that I can use a minimal amount of current to control large amounts from the battery of my choice, be it the house battery or one of my trolling motor batteries.

Thats like putting all your eggs in one basket. If the coil on the relay shorts or opens up, you have lost it all.

that’s why you carry a spare…or simply move the primary wire to the terminal strip. i thought it through and i’m ok with the risk. of six relays in service for more than five years i have yet to have a failure…if i do, i have a plan.

Install COmplete - Pics

“Getaway”
2008 Sea Fox 197 CC
2008 Suzuki 140

nice job, clean install

I’m now at www.teamcharlestonmarine.com

Nice install.

Been down to Beaufort a few times always wanted to head on down to HH, please post how it went.

Hey next time wave at me with all your fingers.

Went great, we had AWESOME weather for the trip down on Saturday and back on Sunday. Took between 5 and 6 hours from County Farm Landing to Harbourtown Marina. A lot of no wake zones make it for a slow trip at times, but we were in no hurry and had a blast. Water was a little rough in Port Royal Sound on the way down, but everything was smooth as glass on the way back. Used right at 60 gallons of fuel round trip. The folks at Harbortown Marina were great. We never left the area right around the marina because there was plenty to do right there. We ate at the Crazy Crab and the food was either awesome or I was starving. I’d definitely do it again, but I’d make it a 3 day weekend next time. Saw hundreds of porpoises which kept the ladies entertained. It was a great trip.

“Getaway”
2008 Sea Fox 197 CC
2008 Suzuki 140

You are hired for the next install job. Very professional presentation. Glad you had a good trip!!

Rog

“Double Trouble”
2001 Sea Fox 230
2001 Merc 200