Internet sales tax

If a retailer does not have a physical presence in the state then they are not required to collect sales tax correct?
Or has this been changed recently??

Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by ReelShock

If a retailer does not have a physical presence in the state then they are not required to collect sales tax correct?
Or has this been changed recently??

Thanks

c/p - A June Supreme Court decision in a case titled South Dakota v. Wayfair opened the door to new tax revenue sources for states, municipalities and other taxing jurisdictions.

In that decision, the court overturned at 26-year-old precedent and ruled that states can require online retailers to collect and remit sales taxes regardless of whether they have a physical presence such as a warehouse in the state.

Thank you for the schooling.

It’s a bunch of BS is what it is.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Definitely sucks having to pay sales tax online. But hey, the gov will always find a way to take their share.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Most Ebay sales are still tax free but all larger operations seem to have jumped on the band wagon. What I wonder is how many of these operations without any operations in SC (or other sates with no physical presence) are actually pocketing the tax money.

It raises the question how does the state have any idea what was bought? If the state isn’t able to prove what it is “owed” then why would the companies pay it?

I sell on line. It will be nearly impossible to track.

c/p - If you’re not charged sales tax by the retailer, you’re not off the hook. Every state that imposes a state sales tax also imposes a state use tax. A use tax is imposed on goods that would otherwise be taxable inside a state when sales tax has not been paid. In other words, if you buy something that wasn’t taxed when you live in a state which does impose a sales tax, you owe the tax anyway. Instead of paying the tax to the retailer, it becomes your responsibility to figure and remit the tax to the proper authorities.

quote:
Originally posted by Bayrider7365

c/p - If you’re not charged sales tax by the retailer, you’re not off the hook. Every state that imposes a state sales tax also imposes a state use tax. A use tax is imposed on goods that would otherwise be taxable inside a state when sales tax has not been paid. In other words, if you buy something that wasn’t taxed when you live in a state which does impose a sales tax, you owe the tax anyway. Instead of paying the tax to the retailer, it becomes your responsibility to figure and remit the tax to the proper authorities.

IMO this is how it should be done the purchaser should have to report it to their state on their tax filings. There are 46 counties in our relatively small state and nearly everyone has the option tax and some have to filed down to level of the local municipality inside that county. For example in Horry County you as the seller you have to file which town/unincorporated area that purchaser is located in. With all the potential “option” taxes and ways one has to file this is going to be a (**() NIGHTMARE for people who sell across the country. I’ve been told there will be thresholds set where if you don’t sell X amount it won’t apply but my understanding is those too will be variable by state. Can you imagine the insanity of a state like TX with over 250 counties or even GA with over 150. I can deal with filing in the state you have a brick and mortar presence, but each company should not be expected to keep up with the potential of tens of thousands of local tax rules and file for the other 49 states they do business with.

You gonna talk or FISH!

Hear one thing very clear as a business! You don’t need to have physical nexus in another sales tax jurisdiction to be required to submit sales tax, only ECONOMIC nexus is required which is defined as a remote sales force and/or an online presence…

States don’t go after the individuals often, they go after businesses because with one audit they can catch much more revenue! It’s like cane pole fishing vs. netting as the business will ultimately be held accountable to pay it…

RBF

I bought an outboard in Ga. and had to pay sales tax in my county here in S.C. $1260.00 you cant hide long!

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

I bought an outboard in Ga. and had to pay sales tax in my county here in S.C. $1260.00 you cant hide long!

What really ticks me off… I buy an outboard, I pay taxes on it… I decide to sell it, the buyer then has to pay taxes on it AGAIN!! Good Gracious, America were everyone came to get away from over taxation and threw the Boston Tea Party over tax on …TEA!!. We have the three fences up and the fourth is being erected.

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:

What really ticks me off… I buy an outboard, I pay taxes on it… I decide to sell it, the buyer then has to pay taxes on it AGAIN!! Good Gracious, America were everyone came to get away from over taxation and threw the Boston Tea Party over tax on …TEA!!. We have the three fences up and the fourth is being erected.

The Boston Tea Party was about “no taxation without representation”, not “over taxation.” Also, people came to America for religious freedom, not tax purposes…

RBF

We also have to pay taxes for owning it every year and they are not cheap! I remember a while back about a patition to tax boats like travel trailers. What happened there?

quote:
quote:

The county still shows that I owe taxes on a boat I sold 8 years ago. I couldn’t tell them who has the boat or why they haven’t paid the taxes.

quote:
Originally posted by ReelShock
quote:
quote:

The county still shows that I owe taxes on a boat I sold 8 years ago. I couldn’t tell them who has the boat or why they haven’t paid the taxes.

There is a form you are supposed to fill out at the time you sell your boat with the buyers info. You send in the form and it lets you off the hook for future taxes and they know who to go after.

One Simple Thanks!!

http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

I fully expect this State to come up with another tax scam like the real property tax where they establish a higher tax rate for internet sales by out of state vendors.

quote:
Originally posted by Beavertail

I fully expect this State to come up with another tax scam like the real property tax where they establish a higher tax rate for internet sales by out of state vendors.

You mean like the rollback tax on ag property improved to residential? That’s a pretty good scam there too.

There is a form you are supposed to fill out at the time you sell your boat with the buyers info. You send in the form and it lets you off the hook for future taxes and they know who to go after.

There is a check box if you have sold a boat. However in my case, the bill of sale was destroyed and I have no way to find who bought it. So there is no way I can fill out the form, I have not applied to have stickers for the boat.
So now what, I die and they state seizes my estate?

End of the day, I said I sold it. It is not my job to lead them to their next victim, and it is not up to me to prove i am or am not telling the truth.