Is the internet to blame?

To Andy’s point - parenting. Value based parenting is a screen, Skinee. Fear of repercussion. Teaching values and respect. Being accountable as a parent for that moment of pleasure that has become a member of society. It doesn’t have to be amazingly religious parenting or incredibly educational. Just basic respect and guidance, dictated from a home.

Vinman
“Every saint has a past, every sinner a future”
www.summervillesaltwateranglers.com
2011 Carolina Skiff 178DLV
90 HP Honda

Good points btw

Vinman
90 HP Honda

quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

This kid is another Charles Manson.

Yeah but unlike Charles Manson and California, SC will try him and fry him.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

“Try Em n Fry Em”

The wheels are turning.

quote:
Originally posted by Vinman

To Andy’s point - parenting. Value based parenting is a screen, Skinee. Fear of repercussion. Teaching values and respect. Being accountable as a parent for that moment of pleasure that has become a member of society. It doesn’t have to be amazingly religious parenting or incredibly educational. Just basic respect and guidance, dictated from a home.

Vinman
90 HP Honda

This kid said that he was not raised in a racist home. Sure, you can choose not to believe him, but he didn't seem to hold anything back in his manifesto. You can't blame the parents for everything. Sure, there are certain things you CAN blame parents for, but not everything.
quote:
Originally posted by marshgrass

Fred, I think you have been misinformed.

Here is a post by Tom Clements in response to folks who defend that the confederate flag should still fly at the statehouse :
Read the “Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union,” of December 24, 1860 and search for words associated with “slavery.” Count 'em - 18 times in a 3 page transcript of the document: http://www.teachingushistory.org/?/ImmCausesTranscription.p?. It’s focused on the perceived hostility to slavery and how that harmed those who created the document. So, the historical fact that secession was pursed to protect slavery is affirmed by the guilty parties.

Marsha
22 Sea Hunt

:question::question:

In 1860, seven Southern states decided to secede from the Union and form the Confederate States of America. They would later be joined by four other states. They were fighting to defend their “right” to continue to own the more than 3.5 MILLION African slaves of the South2, who performed unpaid and arduous labor for slave owners, many of whom owned large plantations. As Southerners fought and killed to defend slavery they did so under the battle flag of the Confederate Army, which we know today as the Confederate flag.

Still don’t believe that the Confederate flag is a clear symbol of racism and hatred toward Blacks? Yesterday, Ta-Nehesi Coates unearthed a quote in his impassioned piece in The Atlantic from the Confederates themselves proving this notion true:

“Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical and moral truth…”
In that time – and to this day – there was a group of people who believed what Confederates described as “the great truth” that “the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition.”

Marsha
22 Sea Hunt

Fred: more proof

Pulitzer Prize-winning author James McPherson, as quoted by the Civil War Trust, explains:

The Civil War started because of uncompromising differences between the free and slave states over the power of the national government to prohibit slavery in the territories that had not yet become states.
McPherson adds that the government refused to recognize the secession because they feared it would result in the U.S. turning into “several small, squabbling countries.”

It was not until long after the Civil War ended, however, that the battle flag began to take on even stronger connections to racial injustice.

In the late 1940s, the flag was adopted as a symbol of the Dixiecrats – a political party devoted to, among other things, maintaining segregation. They also opposed President Harry S. Truman?s proposals to instate anti-discrimination laws and make lynching a federal crime.

Some of the Dixiecrats went so far as to declare their commitment to ?white supremacy,? according to The Confederate Battle Flag: America?s Most Embattled Emblem by John M. Coski.

Coski writes that though the Dixiecrats soon faded into obscurity, their campaigns ?made the flag a fixture in places where it had been only a novelty before.? Coski gives the example of the University of Mississippi, which he notes rarely used the battle flag as a symbol prior to 1948. He says the university began heavily incorporating the symbol into school activities and events a few months after students protested against Truman?s civil rights proposals.

Notably, Ole Miss is the same institution that erupted into riots in 1962 when the federal government insisted that the school accept a black student.

In 1963, the year after the Ole Miss riot, Alabama Gov. George Wallace raised the flag over the state Capitol in protest against desegregation, as described by the Georgia State Senate Research Office in a 2000 report.

The same report found that the integration of the battle flag into the Georgia state flag in 1956 was ra

quote:
Originally posted by marshgrass

In 1860, seven Southern states decided to secede from the Union and form the Confederate States of America. They would later be joined by four other states. They were fighting to defend their “right” to continue to own the more than 3.5 MILLION African slaves of the South2, who performed unpaid and arduous labor for slave owners, many of whom owned large plantations. As Southerners fought and killed to defend slavery they did so under the battle flag of the Confederate Army, which we know today as the Confederate flag.

Still don’t believe that the Confederate flag is a clear symbol of racism and hatred toward Blacks? Yesterday, Ta-Nehesi Coates unearthed a quote in his impassioned piece in The Atlantic from the Confederates themselves proving this notion true:

“Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical and moral truth…”
In that time – and to this day – there was a group of people who believed what Confederates described as “the great truth” that “the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition.”

Marsha
22 Sea Hunt

Falling on deaf ears unfortunately. Everyone’s daddy’s daddy told them that the War of Northern Aggression was just big bad Lincoln taking away the South’s rights.

Do any of you that are freaking out fly the stars and bars at your own home?

For the record, the battle flag and the “stars and bars” are not the same flag. One represented the Confederate States, one represented the actual army.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:

Vinman
90 HP Honda

This kid said that he was not raised in a racist home. Sure, you can choose not to believe him, but he didn't seem to hold anything back in his manifesto. You can't blame the parents for everything. Sure, there are certain things you CAN blame parents for, but not everything.

Agreed, but I have a 16 and 14 year old and my wife and I are aware of their leanings. And our 2 parent household guides those leanings.

I in no way claim to be the worlds best parent. Far from it. But my wife and I are actively involved in creating productive, responsible future adults. I’m not counting on or allowing anyone else - the school, the church, the internet, the neighbors, their peer group - to negatively alter their heartfelt values. They can influence them, but they aren’t the ultimate guide.

And when they leave this nest we will continue to. That’s where social media is you’re pal! LOL! You used to have to worry about a phone call!

Parenting can help monitor, filter and explain the plethora of info youth is exposed to. And in my opinion a respons

quote:

Agreed, but I have a 16 and 14 year old and my wife and I are aware of their leanings. And our 2 parent household guides those leanings.

I in no way claim to be the worlds best parent. Far from it. But my wife and I are actively involved in creating productive, responsible future adults. I’m not counting on or allowing anyone else - the school, the church, the internet, the neighbors, their peer group - to negatively alter their heartfelt values. They can influence them, but they aren’t the ultimate guide.

And when they leave this nest we will continue to. That’s where social media is you’re pal! LOL! You used to have to worry about a phone call!

Parenting can help monitor, filter and explain the plethora of info youth is exposed to. And in my opinion a responsible, value based, two parent system that teams up to produce eventual adults is becoming less prevalent.

Vinman
90 HP Honda

Your kids are NOT psychopaths!!! Roof was pretty clear in his manifesto that his parents did not teach him racist things. He claims that he didn't start exploring this dark path until the Trayvon Martin case was publicized on TV. And he claims that he used the internet in his "learnings". That was only 3 years ago which would have made Roof 18 years old at the youngest.