Is the Stono dead

I’ve been fishing the Stono for 30+ years but the last couple of years the catch has certainly slowed down. What is caught on the trout side is usually under-sized fish. Bass are too big, not many young and slot fish anymore, just old stock. Monday I trolled off and on from behind John’s Island airport to Wadmalaw Sound and only caught two undersized trout. That’s unheard of for October.
Fresh water intrusion has taken a large toll but, seems there are other factors influencing the fishing.
Any ideas?

Old Chicken Make Good Soup

Fishing in the Stono has been slow for the last 5 years. With that said, I have been catching legal trout and lower slot reds recently mostly fishing the “best” docks and structure with live shrimp under a float. However, like you say it is not nearly what October should be. I don’t think it is the freshwater as the decline has been presetn for a number of years and I often have better success in the areas that have lower salinity like around Rantowles.

Iain Pelto
Sea Hunt Triton 160 - 90 ETEC “JB3”
'71 Scout “Ugly Duckling”

I’ve fished that area for a long time myself. It’s the worst I’ve seen.

it seems to me that there’s a lot more pressure on the Stono both in fishing and in recreational boaters. maybe all of the extra traffic is turning off the bite?

quote:
Originally posted by sea tonic

it seems to me that there’s a lot more pressure on the Stono both in fishing and in recreational boaters. maybe all of the extra traffic is turning off the bite?

I don’t know about that. There are spots on the ICW in the IOP and north area that you can always catch fish and that has a ton of traffic too. I wonder if it’s the “muddiness” of the Stono.

Spoke with DNR, they point to oxygen concentration as a factor.
Oyster beds in the Wadmalaw Sound are not for consumption due to low oxygen concentration and higher bacteria due to the small amount of water exchange during the tides. I agree with that but how about up by the airport, seems to be plenty of water flow. Something just don’t jive!

quote:
Originally posted by early

Spoke with DNR, they point to oxygen concentration as a factor.
Oyster beds in the Wadmalaw Sound are not for consumption due to low oxygen concentration and higher bacteria due to the small amount of water exchange during the tides. I agree with that but how about up by the airport, seems to be plenty of water flow. Something just don’t jive!

That contradicts what their website shows, I have eaten many oysters from S172. It is currently closed from the Matthew. [url]http://www.dnr.sc.gov/marine/shellfish/State_Shellfish_Grounds/Charleston/S172.pdf[/url]