Is this a scam or what

Wife gets a phone call this morning , this call is from IRS , supposely . She is told that she has a legal matter against her and to call this number 310-362-5540 and ask for Rick Brown at Legal Affairs of U S Treasury . The IRS toll free number is 1-800-829-1040 . Wife said this guy sounded like he was a Indian . I told her not to call .

I DONT HAVE A BOAT
BUT LOVE TO FISH> HINT

Scam! The IRS will contact you by mail.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

It seems like a scam has been going around for the last few years with this method.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/31/pf/taxes/irs-phone-scam/

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

Scam! The IRS will contact you by mail.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I can vouch for that!!! They will flood your mailbox!!!

First thing I do with these types of calls is Google the number. More often than not you will find repeated complaints of scams coming from the number, often the very same as the one you got.

John

15’ Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

quote:
First thing I do with these types of calls is Google the number. More often than not you will find repeated complaints of scams coming from the number, often the very same as the one you got.

This. We kept getting calls from a # in New York, asking when my wife would be home to accept papers from a lawsuit. I googled the # and saw several pages of complaints. They were calling my cell # so I just blocked the number.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom
quote:

This. We kept getting calls from a # in New York, asking when my wife would be home to accept papers from a lawsuit. I googled the # and saw several pages of complaints. They were calling my cell # so I just blocked the number.

You would think a guy like you would know a guy who knows a guy…

I just got a call saying I was selected for a $50,000 home makeover from direct buy. It was an automated message that was made to sound like I was actually speaking to a real person… I hung up about 10 seconds into the call and read this post shortly thereafter. I googled the number and sure enough, its a scam.

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-310-362-5540
Yep APOB, its a scam.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
You would think a guy like you would know a guy who knows a guy.....

Oh, I KNOW a guy.

quote:
quote:
You would think a guy like you would know a guy who knows a guy.....

Oh, I KNOW a guy.

I had a buddy one time actually put “GGTK” on his business cards.

GGTK: Good Guy To Know

As I checked the phone number , I did find it was a scam . Thanks for all your help .

I DONT HAVE A BOAT
BUT LOVE TO FISH> HINT

I recently received a call from a woman claiming to be from Microsoft Customer Support claiming that I must have downloaded some corrupt files and that they were receiving error messages from my computer. I quietly listened to her as she told me I would need to turn on my computer and she would walk me through setting up remote access so she could repair the damage. When she finished, I told her I would be happy to once she provided an incident number and I was able to call Microsoft directly and verify her claims… She hung up on me!! I guess I still have corrupt files… lol

A bad day fishing is much better than a good day at work.

I recently got a call on the cell phone from a # in NJ. Don’t know anyone up there so I didn’t answer it. I figure if they knew me or it was important, they would leave a message. They didn’t, ergo, I assume telemarketer or scam.

Also, I have heard where calls are coming in and when you answer someone in a real aggressive way says they must speak to … (and they actually name a person in your household) … and that it is a very important matter (taxes, bills, or something else). If you try to question them to get specific information on the matter they get even more aggressive. SCAM! Just hangup (after you tell the scum sucking loser to kiss your baby smooth a$$)

j

Hey Pit, I got the same call from a guy that spoke very broken English. I decided to have some fun. I told him that I did not have a computer. He said that their records showed that I did. I told him no, I did not have one and that I really hated technology. Hated it so bad that I did not even have a phone. He paused and said, “you don’t have a phone”? I said, “nope, no phone”. He was speechless and then hung up.

quote:

Hey Pit, I got the same call from a guy that spoke very broken English. I decided to have some fun. I told him that I did not have a computer. He said that their records showed that I did. I told him no, I did not have one and that I really hated technology. Hated it so bad that I did not even have a phone. He paused and said, “you don’t have a phone”? I said, “nope, no phone”. He was speechless and then hung up.

No phone? No computer? Oh, I got it. You’re at the library. I’m not stupid.

Pioneer 197SF

I got a call from some guy with a Indian or Pakistani accent that said he was from Windows and they had detected a problem with my Windows computer. I said in a very concerned voice “Oh no…which one?”

click

I guess he didn’t know.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 19 year old (boy of leisure)
1 - 1 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Don’t call that 800 number either…they’ll just take your money too.