It's Topwater Time!

Bait has moved in and TW is hot!

Pics and report here
http://ralphphillipsinshore.com/blog/

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

Still have yet to catch a red on top. Water looks a little high in this pic, did you sight cast or just cast near a mouth/point? Awesome fish!

2007 Pioneer 17’5 Baysport

2012 Malibu Stealth 12 Kayak

“If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles”

I rarely sight fish, because where I fish usually the water is too deep or dirty, so you simply can’t see them. Instead I cast to structure in its various forms, where I think the fish are gonna be. Sometimes It works, sometimes it doesn’t :slight_smile:

Edit to add: This fish was hanging near a grass island just a few feet from a rip.

You cant beat the strike on top! Good looking fish.

Thanks for the input Optiker!

2007 Pioneer 17’5 Baysport

2012 Malibu Stealth 12 Kayak

“If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles”

This thread is titled Topwater Time, and I see a picture of fish with what is clearly not a topwater bait in his mouth. I’m confused, which happens easily.

Charleston City Papers Best Guide of 2014

If you read the report on the blog, you will understand.

Fritz I had about 7 fish on top but nothing pic worthy. Thanks for your concern. smh.

Nice catch!

2008 War Eagle 15ft
1995 Johnson 25hp

thanks for report optiker. hope to do some shore topwater over the next few days

good input fritz! LOL [:0]

“mr keys”

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

This thread is titled Topwater Time, and I see a picture of fish with what is clearly not a topwater bait in his mouth. I’m confused, which happens easily.

Charleston City Papers Best Guide of 2014

For this post alone, I’m going to get to your dock behind Goat extra early and just wait and when you ask if you can squeeze your charter in there I’m gonna say SURE! and then start chunking my Carolina rig with day old crab towards you until you get the hint…

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

Great report and appreciate the info. Tell me a bit more about the top water. Time of day, water depth, tide and clarity if you don’t mind. I’ve been doing just ok with the trout on top water but its been at sunrise and usually with a moving tide over shallow oyster banks. I’m in 0 - 5 ft of water pretty much exclusively in the kayak and the water has been filthy. There are mullet all over the place. Sunday I hooked and then proceeded to lose the biggest redfish I’ve ever seen inshore on live shrimp. Nearly spooled me out until I cranked down the drag and it threw the hook shortly thereafter.
I’m thinking of going out Friday at low tide and hope to find a few reds schooled up in the creek mouths staging the flats.Id love to get a few reds to hit the topwater.

Trout like that kind of structure, but they like deep water close by usually. My best trout spots all have that in common. A shallow flat or ledge (1 to 6 feet deep) with a hard bottom, and a drop off nearby. (I credit Bob Sanders for teaching me that. If you have a favorite trout spot, I bet it will share these attributes) They won’t always be in the same pattern like reds will, so you need to have a few of these spots in your back pocket and hit them till you win. I mostly go early morning. Pre dawn till the sun gets about 10 deg above the horizon. Then I will switch to jigs.

I have caught many reds on top in 1 ft of water on a big flat. If there are mullet around and reds, try a skitter walk and work it slow. They will hit it. In my experience they like the skitter better than a spook. I think they like the size and low pitch clack sound.

On your red that you lost, there is no reason to get spooled or lock your drag on a yak. Just go after it. As long as you have a smooth drag you should be able to catch the biggest red inshore on 10 lb line. Just go for the sleigh ride and enjoy! Now if you are in heavy dock pilings your probably gonna get broken off because you will not be able to turn it on 10 lb line until it tires out. Sorry you lost it but that will keep you coming back :slight_smile:

If only I could be half the fisher person you are :). Thanks for the report and tips!

miss’n fish’n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

Thanks Penny I’m lucky to have Ralph for a mentor. I’m only half the fisherman he is

Thanks for the info. Going to try in the am.

http://youtu.be/A5UNpsBlUQg
Hope this works.
Thanks

Cool video and nice trout. I was not expecting a trout in that little ditch. Thought red for sure :slight_smile:

I tried topwater at Pitt Street Bridge and had no luck friday night. It was gorgeous out there though.

What was that trout caught on?

First, Most, Biggest
I want to catch them all

quote:
Originally posted by Great White

I tried topwater at Pitt Street Bridge and had no luck friday night. It was gorgeous out there though.

What was that trout caught on?

First, Most, Biggest
I want to catch them all

Skitter walk “redfish”