James B Edwards Bridge

We’re screwed.

Interested in the thoughtful deliberations of this bunch of MENSA level minds.

My commute time from the house to the office doubled today. I stopped for a half minute and pet the cat.

I don’t know a lot of segmental box bridges other than what I’ve watched in a few videos, but man…I’d hate to be on the repair crew. It’s going to be a job my dad would have said took “Mane, strength and awkwardness” to get done.

I think I heard that 1000 feet of cable needed to be replaced. Not sure if that number is correct, but that is a lot of tonage to manhandle.

First you gotta find the cable…saw the truck with a spool in the news.

Next you gotta find a hydrolic cable tensioner. I’ve suspect they’re a bit hard to come by.

I don’t know if they are using an elevator to get up into the segment boxes or through a scuttle hole in the bottom of the bridge - I suspect it’s just a scuttle hole. You’ve got to get all that weighty cable, tension device, scaffolding, torches, steel cutting saws into the scuttle.

Then you have to hand carry the stuff.

Whether it’s 100 feet of cable to repair or 1000 feet, you have to cut the broken cable in to man sized pieces. Then you have to somehow beat, pull, push, cut out the cable that runs through the segment box ends…pretty sure it’s tight as dicks hat band and even if you cut the cable at the box ends, it ain’t sliding out easy.

Then the fun part begins…threading 100-1000 feet of full length cable back through multiple segment box ends and applying tension from 2 ends.

Even if they cut the cable to splice a piece in with a ton of cable clamps…they still got to run the new piece through the segment box end and apply tension.

June 11th? They wish.

Inside view in the Wando bridge segment box. You can see a man just on the other side of the threshold. That gives you an idea how tall the over head area is…all scaffold work.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
2007 Grady W

My concern is now that one has popped, how long before another, and another, and another? Sure doesn’t put a warm fuzzy in me once it’s “repaired”. East bound side will be next.

WTF did we have to build the bridge(s) over the Wando that dam high in the first place? I can understand navigable waterways…but kinda like North of the 41 bridge, are there really that many big a$$ boats coming down that river?

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

From what I was told, the cable that popped isn’t even one they were “watching”. That bridge was designed to last 70 years. I don’t see that happening. I know I am no engineer but, what a strange design. Supposedly such a design leaves a small “environmental footprint”. Whatever that means.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

From what I was told, the cable that popped isn’t even one they were “watching”. That bridge was designed to last 70 years. I don’t see that happening. I know I am no engineer but, what a strange design. Supposedly such a design leaves a small “environmental footprint”. Whatever that means.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

That would explain the immediate closure.

On the other question about the height, if you remember, when the bridge was designed and built, Daniel Island was still the wilderness with only a few poor people living in mobile homes and substandard houses There was talk of putting a port terminal on Daniel. Plus, Rebublic Contracting has a yard up there and they were pretty active using their yard with barges and cranes back in 1989. The bridge was probably build with more industrial development in mind up the Wando.

~my dad

Equipment:
2007 Grady White 222 Fisherman / 250 Yamaha
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1- 23 boy that won’t move out)
1 - 19 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Hopefully Charleston officials will realize that our infrastructure is not suited for what we have going on in a serious growing city. We have to stop letting so many people keep coming in, we are overpopulated

There is no substitute for hard work-Thomas A Edison

I don’t think there is any way to keep people from coming here so they really need to get a plan together that does not involve raising our taxes AGAIN. Unfortunately i think the first word out of their mouths is going to be we need to raise taxes to meet all of these needs.

Seems like this little outage has reduced the the traffic @ Costco

We all need to push getting the Inland port back on track. It’s gotta be a very special need before I’ll go anywhere near the Charleston / Summerville area. Traffic is ridiculous even when it is flowing at it’s “best”. Not mention all the inconsiderate people that could have never had any kind of driver training behind the wheel of so many cars. There is barely any courtesy left on our roadways.

On this current issue, it is hard for me to comprehend the power/force behind breaking a 4" cable!

As of now June 11 is the target date to re open bridge. They have already found other “issues”. Memorial day weekend will be nasty I’ll bet.

I-526 bridge needs to be replaced now, S.C. Senate transportation chair says
• 47 min ago

I-526 Wando River bridge (copy)

Sen. Larry Grooms, R-Charleston, Transportation committee chairman, has called for replacement of the Wando River bridge.Westbound lanes on Interstate 526 over the James. B. Edwards Bridge near Mount Pleasant remain closed. Alan Hawes/Provided

The James B. Edwards bridge over the Wando River westbound Interstate 526 should be replaced, Sen. Transportation committee chairman Larry grooms said. Grace Beahm Alford/Staff

Sen. Larry Grooms, R-Charleston, Transportation committee chairman, has called for replacement of the Wando River bridge. File/Andrew Brown/Staff

It’s time to replace the Wando River bridge, says a state Senate transportation committee chairman. Engineers are worried for the ongoing safety of the bridge even after repairs are made.

“The long-term confidence in that bridge is not there,” Sen. Larry Grooms, R-Charleston, said after speaking with engineers on Thursday. “Similar bridges have not performed as hoped.” Grooms’ district includes Daniel Island. The bridge runs over the river between the island and Mount Pleasant.

The committee will begin asking the S.C. Department of Transportation and experts about the expected life of the bridge, ongoing maintenance and costs, as soon as repairs are made, he said.

“I believe the time is now to start talking about replacement of the bridge. My concern is that now, two years after we closed the bridge for cable problems, we’ve had a complete cable failure,” he said. The life span of the nearly 30-year-old bridge was expected to be 50 years.

Grooms said the bridge replacement could be folded into the overall improvement plans for the bridge. The new bridge should not be as comparatively costly as the current span, because it won’t have to be built as high, he said. The current bridge was raised to accommodate the former Navy base needs for work at the Detyens Shipyards upstream.

But, in terms of t

quote:
Originally posted by StumpNocker

Any truth to this do you think? Got this in an email forwarded to me.

I’d hope so, If we are seeing this kind of failure now, it’s not worth a single life lost to a collapsed bridge. Going forward lets add six more lanes as well.

Sounds like someone is being proactive. I could only imagine the lives lost and lawsuits if this thing collapsed in rush hour traffic.

They left plenty of room on either side to start building a new bridge, oh wait…

quote:
Originally posted by StumpNocker

I-526 bridge needs to be replaced now, S.C. Senate transportation chair says

Sen. Larry Grooms, R-Charleston, Transportation committee chairman, has called for replacement of the Wando River bridge.

“The long-term confidence in that bridge is not there,” Sen. Larry Grooms, R-Charleston, said after speaking with engineers on Thursday. “Similar bridges have not performed as hoped.” Grooms’ district includes Daniel Island.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

If that don’t give you the warm and fuzzy’s nothing will.

~my dad

Equipment:
2007 Grady White 222 Fisherman / 250 Yamaha
Simrad NSS evo2 and G4
1- 23 boy that won’t move out)
1 - 19 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

still waiting on the Mensa crowd to weigh. I know most of yall. you didn’t get in.

here’s one workaround:

http://fauxcountrynews.com/

SC outlawed impact fees. I don’t know why they can’t just raise the price for a building permit. That would slow growth.

quote:
Originally posted by Redstripe

SC outlawed impact fees. I don’t know why they can’t just raise the price for a building permit. That would slow growth.

Maybe. Maybe not

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/soaring-impact-fees-pump-money-into-mount-pleasant-but-are/article_8fd1a45e-4d46-11e8-9ba2-fb1da25cc43b.html

“The impact fees for a single-family home are rising from less than $2,000 in early 2017 to more than $6,000. A 7,500-square-foot restaurant that would have paid $57,716 in impact fees this time last year would now pay $166,082, and there’s one more fee increase still to come on July 1.”

$642K for the home depot.

[/quote]

Any truth to this do you think? Got this in an email forwarded to me.

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”
[/quote]

They need to complete 526 to JI and Johns Island, before any talk of anything else.

02’ Seapro 17’CC w/ 90 yamaha 2stroke