Jasper motor

Jasper motor.
They have a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty.
Put a Jasper motor in my truck January 2018. 96,000 MI on it 3 years 1 month
Yesterday’s she died… She made it almost 30 days past the warranty and she’s done for.

I am fragile. Not like a flower. But like a bomb.

22 life’s a day

Looks like they did their research when determining what kind of warranty to provide.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

I was taught this in high school and I’ve never forgotten it…

“Planned obsolescence is the calculated act of making sure the existing version of a product will become dated or useless within a given time frame.”

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Its not that far off of a concept from how certain manufacturer’s are making it near impossible for the average guy to maintain their products and you have to carry it to a “professional” to continue its life. Or how some company’s are creating specialized tools.

There’s no money in the cure; there’s certainly money in treating symptoms.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

I would never do a jasper engine… ever, ever again. You might get lucky, but most likely not. I’ve have seen nothing but Trouble out of them. We run some Glider kit trucks 5 with Detroit 60 series. One was a True Detroit rebuild the other 4 were Jasper rebuilds. The True Detroit is around 380,000 and doesn’t use a drop of oil inbetween a 15,000 mile service. All four of the Jasper’s started getting heavy blow by around 60,000 miles. I’ve had all four rebuilt around the 200,000 mark. Cheapest quality parts they can get and very poor assembly. These engines are million mile engines +

Go with a GM crate motor and you will not regret it. You can’t rebuild one for what you can get one for with Warranty. Most dealers want proof of new hoses and belts for the warranty. Heck, I’d trust a pulled junk yard motor over a Jasper.

In today’s world with the advanced lubrication’s we have, 96,000 is unacceptable.

Yep me too .

Catastrophic failure. Didn’t just spin a bearing. Through a rod. Got a chunk blowed out the side the block. but she still runs.
Definitely disappointed with that motor. Truck has 425,000 mi on it was hoping for 500,000. Really like the truck but time to give her up
Looking for a 2500 4- 5 years old.

22 life’s a day

Yeah, they just don’t make them like they once did… Back in the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s motors rarely made it to 50K without a rebuild…

C’mon OTC, you have posted pics of being yanked for your heavy foot… You ran that ole motor hard…

RBF Robinette Beat Fascism

“CFC - A Quaint Little Political Site with a Fishing Problem”

Oh she is definitely been run hard and put up wet a good bit of her life.

22 life’s a day

CME ( Carolina Machine Engines ) Johnston, SC near Edgefield is the ONLY place I would buy a “re-manufactured” engine. Short or Long block. I’ve installed 6 or 7 over the years, 4, 6 and 8 cylinder. Chevy to Mitsubishi. NEVER had a bit of trouble. I know they deliver to Lexington/ Columbia area not sure about the Low Country.

Bought a high torque 355 short block for my Elcamino. Ported the heads and cammed it out. Been running like a scalded dog for over ten years of bouncing off of 6000rpms. And yep, It is a daily driven Mustang Killer :stuck_out_tongue:

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing in the surf like an idiot."

Not even considering the boats and other things you’ve prolly haul with it at 90mph… :smiley:

He kept the foot out of it just long enough to miss the warranty…

NN

You’re eyes gots to be brown…since you so full of stool.

Simple designs with large operating tolerances either failed from oil pump failure/water pump failure/poor maintenance/incorrect timing/repair…

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Yep, and they failed often…

Don’t forget the most important factor in modern engines being much more reliable… METALLURGY!

That started with American engines about the time they went to PLASTC on the timing gears.

You gots to have a computer to talk to the sensors on the “new” more efficient/mow better / more everything bestest since sliced bread
The sensors need sensors to tell another sensor …no start.
I got a 1969 bug with original tail/headlights and they “work”.
How many “new” cars ridding around with burned out lights you see on a daily basis???
Thing about cars…yo can always get out and walk.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

My point wasn’t the ancillary systems, just the motor as the OP posted… Current engines are just much better, and why they run 200-300K without a rebuild on the pure mechanical parts…

150K on a timing belt is not a big deal to you?
I do my own fixing so it’s planned obsolescence with a rubber timing belt.
Aluminum heads on steel blocks…with gizmos galore.
Every piece of stool on a new engine has to be “working” for the engine to “work”.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Nope, not a big deal… They only cost about $350-500 to change… Much cheaper than a new set of tires you only get half the mileage from…

There is a reason the old vehicle odometers couldn’t register more than 99,999 miles… Most never made it that far before they were sent to the crusher…

Photos of that bug there Mdaddy? I’m an old bug guy myself. Hoping to get one and restore it sometime in the next few years. I had 2 66s and a 67 with a 2180cc motor.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

Gotta love those air cooled flat-4s… The “poor man’s porsche”