Jetties Help

Never fished the jetties due to mostly being offshore. This weekend is going to be a wash so was thinking of fishing them. Any advice or insight as to where and how to fish? Would love some big red. Also would love to avoid sharks lol. Thanks as always guys.

2018 Sea Fox 226 Commander
Catching Chaos

I’ve posted on this forum before that the largest king my boat has ever caught was inside the south side jetty over Labor Day a few years ago. It hit a Rapala plug on a wire leader.

Spartanburg/Edisto
Sea Hunt 27 “Saltwater Gospel”
Maverick 18 HPX-V

There’s deeper water around the south jetty and that is where I normally fish. Inside or out. I like to post up wherever the current is just starting to flow through the rocks on a rising tide or just ahead of dry rock on a falling tide. I fish for sheepshead in the rocks with a couple lines set out on bottom for reds.

^^^^^^^ what C Mich said is good info ^^^^^^^^^
If you’ve never anchored up at the jetties be extra cautious , be sure your anchor set is holding before killing your power and stay aware of shipping traffic … Be ready to pull anchor quickly, those freighters can pull a hugh wake that can/will set you on top of the rocks…Be safe and post up pics…

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

I have never fished the jetties and would like to use the trolling motor out there to moving slowly casting and not use the anchor. But i think about what if the boat motor would not start back up what should I do?? I carry an anchor and have sea tow but what would be the first thing to do?? How much rope should i have on anchor? Any advise would be appreciated because I like to have a plan if something like that should happen. Like George said i don’t want to be on top of the rocks,
Larry

01 Scout 177 w/ 150 hpdi

Follow the good looking Captain in the Pathfinder…

Do what he does.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Fishing the jetties only a few times but with success I can only add that we throw artificial baits only and have had plenty of bites on both jetties inside and out. We make our choice based on wind direction and stay on the protected side and use the trolling motor with spot lock on it to hold us which it’s done a great job at. 100% agree with the guys, head on a swivel for big boats and rogue waves that will put you on the rocks. We tend to stay off of them about 5-10 yards and cast parallel to them with 1/8oz or 3/16 oz jig heads and various soft plastic trailers. I like the Eye Strike jigs and also a screw lock ball jig head like a shakey head in the same weight. Plastics wise we throw 5" jerk shad/fluke types, vudu shrimp, senkos, etc. Colors are more natural with the occasional “electric chicken” just for fun which reds like. All of our bites are coming while making bottom contact, nothing is happening on moving baits of any kind like cranks, or topwater yet but will. If you are willing to go for a big bite and sacrifice numbers, hurl a big paddle tail swim bait out there and hang on but know it’s a one to two bite a day kind of deal but that’s trophy hunting anyway right?

Tight lines!

Hope that helps some

Chuck D
2018 Pathfinder 2300 HPS
Yamaha 250 SHO

Thanks all for some great advise. Looking forward to giving it a try hopefully very soon. Any advise on a good wind speed to go out ther on?? Anything less than 10 mph?
Thanks, Larry

01 Scout 177 w/ 150 hpdi

You will need about a hundred feet of anchor line with several feet of heavy chain. Throw the anchor out in the edge of the channel and back up towards the rocks, making sure that the anchor is set. Take a disposable anchor (more on that ahead) and throw it up into the rocks to keep the boat somewhat perpendicular to the jetties. Drop your bait to the bottom, you should be over rocks, a when it hits, let it set for a second and SLOWLY lift it and slowly let it back down. Sheepshead will not ‘strike’, they crush the bait and then suck the pieces in. While lifting you will feel resistance but do NOT set the hook, just keep lifting. You either have a fish or a rock and the fish will set the hook himself, or the rock will eat your rig.You will lose a lot of rigs, but with patience, you will catch good fish. The disposable anchor that I make is simply a can or bottle with a loop of COTTON rope (clothesline) and Sacrete poured in. Tie a line to it and toss it in the rocks, when you leave, or in an emergency, cut the line and get away from the rocks. The cotton line will biodegrade and you have added a small rock to the pile. Always stay vigilant and be aware of everything happening around you out the, but it is doable, I used a 17’ Whaler there for many years.

I am new to it also but agree with information posted above. I use a 17 key west out there and I try to stay und 10 for the wind. The main thing is make sure that anchor has got a good hold or you will be in the rocks in no time. Wind direction depends on which side of jetties you are fishing. Like others said be on alert and ready to react quickly.

I am new to it also but agree with information posted above. I use a 17 key west out there and I try to stay und 10 for the wind. The main thing is make sure that anchor has got a good hold or you will be in the rocks in no time. Wind direction depends on which side of jetties you are fishing. Like others said be on alert and ready to react quickly.

I like to fish the rocks at the jetties with my trolling motor (with gps) fairly often. I like to be able to cover water and then anchor with the trolling motor. I will always leave my big engine at idle just in case of emergency. Just use your common sense and be aware and prepared to react. Great fishing out there right now with everyone’s fair share of bull reds and such. Tight lines.