Jetties taketh away

So me and wifey thought we would go fish a bit today. I was excited because at the boat ramp menhaden were everywhere so one cast and off to the jetties we go with that, shrimp, and frozen finger mullet. took a while being the boat traffic had the water stirred up, but so what. we anchor for about 15 minutes and nothing. So we go to move and I must have anchored over a full crab trap, or a underwater cable, or a old buoy anchor or something because i tried for 30 minutes moving around trying to break it loose anyway i could it was just too heavy to get up very far. i ended up having to cut the dang rope so now fishing is done and i can’t even go to the beach! UGH ! I now know to bring a spare anchor or invest in a GPS trolling motor. either way we got skunked and started to just cruise around.
Good news though, the wife wants a bigger boat :wink: and it was a nice day to be on the water.

Oh yea i did catch this last weekend at least. Along with every other bottom dwellers at 100’ you could imagine. too bad you cant bring these home for dinner. we had to move spots because this was all we would catch with menhaden.

I’ve heard of that a lot at the jetties.

Some guys I know make a “semi-disposable” rebar anchor like this…

Thats a nice ARS, and a swell baseball cap.

Beats sittin on the couch! I lost an anchor that same way in the Cooper after enjoying a concert at the Riverfront… aint no tellin what all is at the bottom of those waterways haha

EF’s advice is solid. I almost lost a nice Danforth at the jetties once, so I bought a reef anchor at Haddrells, same idea as the homemade option EF shows. Put a bunch of chain on it and i’ve yet to lose it. It just bends out and when you bring it up just bend it back to position. Easy peasy.

yea but do those hold in the current or are you throwing them up into the rocks? I’ll definitely try it if it holds.

I use a claw anchor setup up to breakaway. Haven’t lost one since I started using that setup.