JigSkinz Report OI- 3/5

It has been a very stressful last few months for me. All good things going on, but stressful none the less. My fishing days have been far apart and lately, not too lucky. I had really had a good early season run on the blackfin in my home waters. I know they are just blackfin, but putting your target species in the box in your own hull has a special feel to me. So when I travel and fish in someone elses boat, I am very critical and thorough when I select a captain.

The first two trips of the year were with Captain Ned and mate George on the SeaBreeze. It was an early season try that ended in a box of tilefish and no real sign of tuna. But hey, we gave it the old college try. I waited a few weeks and saw Sami from Saltywater Tackle had an open boat with Ned and George and decided to jump on for 2 days. A few Hilton Head locals made the trip with me and we had a few bites and a few laughs, but charlie eluded us again. The highlight of the trip honestly was meeting Sami. Not like man crush stuff…but the dedication he has to the sport is honorable and it shows. He is genuine, humble and I feel I will count him as a friend of mine for a long time to come.

This last trip was different. As I sat on the couch and watched the Tottenham/Arsenal game on Sunday I was surfing 360 and saw that Badfish had gotten a few fish out of Hatteras, Hmmmmmm. Quick weather check, looks good. Call Captain Dave Swain of High Return out of OI. Dave I hear it’s turning on, true or not. He asks to call me back in 20 and does so promptly. Confirmed. Weather- check, fish- check, wife- check, crew- not so much… After a day of searching I decide that life is too short, I am going one way or the other. So Monday at lunch, off I go. On the way up I make a few calls. David in Masonboro is always a sure thing, (**() it, even he is out, but he has a friend. Steve can go he says, Steve, hmmmm I think I know him. Is he the hogfish guy, yup he is. One of the few guys that can consistently catch hogfish on rod and reel, a technique perfected w

im glad to live vicariously through your posts for now. good stuff right there sir!

“mr keys”

At least you got to see some tuna. We got back Sunday and never even seen one. This was our first trip to OI but will definately go back.

" but putting your target species in the box in your own hull has a special feel to me."

That is why I took my own rig up there to give it a try. We did have a blast with the AJ"s and False Albacore on jigs and poppers. Congrats on a beautiful fish even if you did not actually put it in the boat, you still had a hand in it, if that makes you feel any better.:smiley:

28 WA Hydra Sport
Twin 225 4 stoke Yammies
“Fin Loco”

quote:
Originally posted by Reel Excitement

At least you got to see some tuna. We got back Sunday and never even seen one. This was our first trip to OI but will definately go back.

" but putting your target species in the box in your own hull has a special feel to me."

That is why I took my own rig up there to give it a try. We did have a blast with the AJ"s and False Albacore on jigs and poppers. Congrats on a beautiful fish even if you did not actually put it in the boat, you still had a hand in it, if that makes you feel any better.:smiley:

28 WA Hydra Sport
Twin 225 4 stoke Yammies
“Fin Loco”

I definitely had a hand in it. You will see from my gaff shot in the coming video.:smiley:

www.JigSkinz.com

Courtland, Thank you for your post. I have enjoyed a great deal reading it, and felt as it was resonating with my past experiences. It is evil and blessing at once. Good luck next time, and kid yourself it was your last.

May the fishing gods be with you,
-IA

–“GRADY GULF”–

That’s why we’re called fishermen my friend. It’s like a drug only worse and once you get a taste of the ocean in ya you can’t turn back. I got my taste in Hawaii lived there for 6 years and killed yellowfin, wahoo, and dolphin every chance I got. Me and a buddy of mine bought a POS 18’ inboard that had a small bananna plant growing in it when we got it. That boat lasted us 3 seasons and accounted for many fish when we gave it away, best times of my life. I love Charleston fishing and look forward to it every chance I get.

Forgot to add anytime you are going to run 1000 miles round trip by yourself pm me man. I am always on the road between Rock HIll S.C. and New Jersey so if your alone and want a partner let me know, and if you come up to N.J. where the yellowfin bite is epic let me know.