Kayak setup

I just bought my first kayak thanks to black friday prices. I’m looking for ideas on how to rig it up and what to get…could i get some pictures of some of y’alls kayaks so i could get some ideas on what i might need? Any tips are appreciated.

fish it several times before mounting anything to get a feel of where you want things

Yes, you definitely want to fish it or even get out on the water a few times before you mount anything permanent. I would suggest a basic milk crate, rigged to your kayak using bungee cords or something similar. In here you can put your tackle (I find it’s easiest to access and use in small tray boxes) other tools, and whatever you think you definitely need. You will need at least one rod holder. You can use zip ties to attach it to the crate here. Definitely make a paddle and rod leash for yourself using some light line or shock cord. Down the line, I would look into installing an anchor trolley system. I think that is a pretty good starting off point

I have a milk crate with rod holders, a couple of deck eyes for attachment points, an anchor trolley and a cleat to tie it off to. My yak has built in rails so I do have a couple of Scotty Mounts but, the above advice is good, fish it and think about what you want and where you think it should be while you are out on it.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

joshiepoo, i gotta ask…whats with the name?

quote:
Originally posted by TheMechanic

joshiepoo, i gotta ask…whats with the name?

Haha. It’s just been my username for years. Can’t actually pinpoint where the name came from originally.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen. I’ve got most of what y’all are suggesting…and i will take y’alls advice before screwing any of it in.

Gonna take it out tomorrow. Any suggestions for where to go for some trout/reds? Coming from the navy base in Goose Creek.

You could always put in at Bushy Park and fish the grass lines. Shallow water there won’t bother a yakker.

Well I took it out from bushy park. Caught one red before I snapped my paddle in half and had to be towed back in. Can’t say thank you enough to the two gentlemen that helped me.

I started with an aluminum shaft paddle. I have a graphite paddle now. So much lighter and more durable. Even an inexpensive fiberglass shaft would be fine. Glad you got out and that some good guys stop to render aid. I usually keep a small telescopic paddle in my hull for back up.