Key West Gas Filling Question

OK. When I bought the boat the gas gauge was broken (and its on my list to fix this weekend). I went to the pump several times to try and put gas in it, and it just overflowed. Therefore, I figured the tank was full with 60 gallons. Since the last try at filling it, I have taken the boat out a good 5-7 times, running it an average of probably 30-45 min each time.

Thinking that I should have burned at least 15-20 gallons by now, I went to fill up. I got 4.8 gallons in the tank before it started to overflow again. I could be really happy and think that I’m getting some unbelievable gas mileage, but I dont think that is the case. I would assume that gas is going in becuase it didnt overflow immediately when I started to pump.

Does this sound right? I know its kind of vague, and I may not have given enough info for you to make an educated decision.

And, does anyone know how to access the sender in a 19’6 Key West Bay Reef?

25’ Mako CC
Twin 150 HPDI’s
Chasin’ Tail
For Sale

I have a 1720 KW. The sender on my boat is accessed in the console. There should be an inspection plate over the tank. Just had to replace my gauge last year.

Growing old is MANDATORY, Growing up is OPTIONAL!

Thia may not be what you’re looking for, but I bought a KW 196 BR with a Yamaha F115. I filled it up in July, have put over 6 hours on the motor, and still have 1/3 of a tank. Much of the time I have been at wot while I was prop testing. I thought my stern drive got good mileage, but man I love this 4 stroke.

thanks guys. got the gauge working, and it says that i only have 1/4 tank.

so i guess my only question now is: why is it not taking gas? Its almost like air is not able to exit, thus filling the hose and overflowing. is there anything that can be done to allow more air out?

25’ Mako CC
Twin 150 HPDI’s
Chasin’ Tail
For Sale

You should have a fill line and a vent line. 'Sounds like the vent is not venting. Can you remove the fill cap and blow air back into the vent… or into the fill? Maybe a crimped/pinched vent line?

Also, my henryo has never taken fuel with the pump full blast. It has a foot or so of nearly horizontal hose just inside the fuel fill which keeps it from flowing well. With most gas pumps, I can not use the lock on the pump handle. I have to hold it with my hand at about 2/3rds flow. Might you have a similar issue? Will it take fuel if you feed it slowly?

17’ Henry O Hornet
26’ Palmer Scott

palmer

i understand what youre saying. my last boat i had to ease the fuel in as well. this one doesnt seem to be that way. last trip to the pump, i pulled the gas handle out, and I could see the gas in the line about 4" below cap. this is why i thought the tank was full. i let it sit for 60-90 seconds and it didnt drop at all.

I will give the vent a try to see if it is clear. it sounds like that may be my issue.

thanks.

25’ Mako CC
Twin 150 HPDI’s
Chasin’ Tail
For Sale

When I’m fuel my henryO, even at 3/4 flow from the pump, I can hear my vent blowing air. If I cover the vent w/ a finger, I can definitely feel a little pressure and then a gush/rush of air when the finger is removed after a second or two. Maybe an industrious dirt dobber has left you some paralized spiders in a mud casing in your vent opening. Yuck.

17’ Henry O Hornet
26’ Palmer Scott

quote:
Originally posted by savblue

palmer

i understand what youre saying. my last boat i had to ease the fuel in as well. this one doesnt seem to be that way. last trip to the pump, i pulled the gas handle out, and I could see the gas in the line about 4" below cap. this is why i thought the tank was full. i let it sit for 60-90 seconds and it didnt drop at all.

I will give the vent a try to see if it is clear. it sounds like that may be my issue.

thanks.

25’ Mako CC
Twin 150 HPDI’s
Chasin’ Tail
For Sale

Probably the vent, but if the vent is open, there is a possibility that something somehow got into the filler neck and is blocking gas from getting into the tank. Try running a small diameter hose or cable down until you find a blockage, or enter the tank.

Blackwaterkatz