Key West

Moving down towards the end of August for a year or two. I’ve spent many years diving and fishing from Islamorada to Summerland but always avoided KW like the plague. Does anyone on the board have any experience with living/fishing around this area? Real estate is a nightmare. I found a nice double wide that needs work for $400k.

I lived and fished on Summerland Key for a good part of 5 years. Good some good deep drop numbers and lobster holes around that neck of the woods

I lived there when I was in my early 20s for about six weeks while doing a job at Boca Chica airbase. That has been over 20-years now but I have been back multiple times over the years including a day trip from Marathon just last summer and not too much has changed. Can’t remember for sure how it is spelled but El Se Bon A restaurant is located off the beaten path close to furthest point south and has some of the best Cuban food I have ever had. There is also a good Italian restaurant located on Duval about half way between 1 and Malorie square on left when headed to the square. There is a really cool snorkeling spot that is assessable from land. You go on to the Old Navy base that is actually located on Key West, go out to the beach, and there is a reef about 100 yards off the beach that parallels the beach. Reef depth is anywhere between 4 to 15 feet and on a clear day is loaded with all kind of fish. There is lots of good Tarpon fishing all around the island. Some great spots just outside of Stock Island Marina as well, look for the sunken trawlers. If you want to accelerate the learning curve of the local waters book a day with Robert Trossett (RT) his boat is the Spindrift and he fishes out of Stock Island Marina. By far one of the best guides down there assuming he still working. You may recognize him from the Mad Fin Shark series that used to come on ESPN. He does all types of light tackle fishing, Tarpon being his specialty. I had the opportunity to release some big bruiser Tarpon all well over 100 pounds on 20 pound spinning tackle while fishing with him when I was a teenager. He’s also great on the blackfin tuna on top water.

Contender, thanks for the info. Very helpful! Cuban food is pretty much the only reason I agreed to move down there. Going to move the boat down for the SC off months, Nov, Dec, and I’ll do my (**()dest to make friends with boats in the meantime…

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish.

• More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927

31’ Contender
“Touche”
250 HPDIs

Matt…Gar and I will bring a boat down for a visit…:slight_smile:

quote:
Originally posted by Redstripe

Matt…Gar and I will bring a boat down for a visit…:slight_smile:

Oh I know. I’m selling timeshares of you’re interested…

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish.

• More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927

31’ Contender
“Touche”
250 HPDIs

Handful of flats that can be accessed from the land. I waded some that I was able to get to right from the highway around the Boca Chica and Stock Island exits. I had limited luck on them mostly just small barracuda but then again it was February so too cold for bonefish. Jimmy Buffett does frequent his bar down there and will pop in and play a handful of songs. Pretty cool to see him jump up in a small atmosphere like that and get the crowd going just for the hell of it.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34345-d2348603-Reviews-Bien-Key_West_Florida_Keys_Florida.html

RBF