King fishing gear??

So, I’m looking to get set up with some new gear and give this King fishing thing a shot.

What’s a good rod and penn reel set up for Kings? What should I spool them with as well?

Fountain 32CC with that Verado power

Any 10ft rod and a decent reel with a good bit of line on it for the anchor rod and a good conventional reel as your bait rod. I’m new to trolley rigging too, but that’s what I’ve seen most people use. I personally use a 10ft Shakespeare rod and an 8000 Penn Fierce II as my anchor and a 6/0 Senator on a 6’6" rod as my bait rod. I don’t know if that’s overkill or not, but I haven’t been told it is yet. I use 50lbs braid on my reels.

Think Chad was talking about on the boat lol Most prefer star drag reels that have the capacity for 500 yards of 20lb test. Live bait tips rods will work best.

I have several combos that I would let go of they are tld 15 with 7 ft ugly sticks make a fair offer

Half Mine II/ TEAM GEICO
2660 Sailfish
150 Yamahas

Looking to give the kings a try as well, I picked up some 12" wire leaders,planers and trolling wieghts and a few spoons am I on the right track? Any more details on the rigging would help. Thought I would troll some, I will be fishing out of the Port Royal Sound area. Is it best to troll over some of the wrecks and reefs any particular dept or structure? Just looking for a place to start.
Thanks,
Ray

Spoon do not work as well around here sadly. I would recommend pulling baits such as hardtails, menhaden, or even ribbonfish with skirts.

I like the avet Sx. It’s small. 200yards of braid topped with 200yrds of 20# mono. 7’ trevala jogging rods.
Love bait is the deal in the Carolinas.

He won’t use anything other than Penn…and is what he asked for in OP.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Missed that part… gotta slow down.

The best economy set up was mentioned above. The Ugly Stick 7’ Trolling Rod with Shimano TLD 15 reel with 20 lb. Line with Mono (Momoi, Ande, Berkeley -you chose) is the go to set up. Don’t spend a fortune unless you are committed for the long haul. There are plenty of them for sale. I have a set of those and a set of the Ugly Sticks with the Avet 8:1 reels. Both work well, but if I loose a TLD 15 set up I am not out a lot of money.

Capt. Pete
Bushwacker

quote:
Originally posted by Bushwacker

The best economy set up was mentioned above. The Ugly Stick 7’ Trolling Rod with Shimano TLD 15 reel with 20 lb. Line with Mono (Momoi, Ande, Berkeley -you chose) is the go to set up. Don’t spend a fortune unless you are committed for the long haul. There are plenty of them for sale. I have a set of those and a set of the Ugly Sticks with the Avet 8:1 reels. Both work well, but if I loose a TLD 15 set up I am not out a lot of money.

Capt. Pete
Bushwacker

Again, he wants Penn. Says so in his post.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Assuming you have purchased by now, but if not the Penn Fathom 40 high speeds are well suited for kings. Can’t help on the Penn specific rod tho

Have you purchased your setup? If not I may be able to help you.

23 Baja TE
Mercury Opti’s

Ron Greene
WWW.TEAMMISSJENN.COM

Smaller penn squalls

235 scout sportfish

15lb outfits with 200-300 yards of line. My goto’s are the penn #39 they have been lucky for me… I recently found a few TLD 15 combo’s for $140 spooled with 15lb high vis line, i thought was a good deal and are now in my arsenal.
I live bait 90% of the time because of the battle with light takle. i find it to be a rush!

05’ 22 McKee Craft Freedom
98’ 13 Boston Whaler Dauntless

Smaller penn squalls

235 scout sportfish

How about some Penn GLS (graphite frame) 535s on 7ft Falcon graphite Kingfish Specials. Have a extra long 2 piece Aftco gaff to go with them