King Mackerel trolling from kayak?

New to the area, but last year did some trolling in Destin, FL from my kayak and had a ton of success. Is this a lost cause in the Charleston area do to reachable depths. Or does any one out there have some good advice on where it would be best to try trolling for kings. Also since I’m New down here, where are some good places to get your kayak in, other then the beach.

The good news is that the largest kings of the Carolina’s can be caught within a mile of the beach. The bad news is that this is not FL and therefore the number of kings is extremely low and you will need to work very hard to catch them.

The other large species within kayak range are spanish, blacktips, red drum, and tarpon. Coastal SC has great large Tarpon availability within kayak range of nearly every inlet during the summer, and large red drum availability during the fall.

quote:
Originally posted by Fishingaddict

The good news is that the largest kings of the Carolina’s can be caught within a mile of the beach. The bad news is that this is not FL and therefore the number of kings is extremely low and you will need to work very hard to catch them.

The other large species within kayak range are spanish, blacktips, red drum, and tarpon. Coastal SC has great large Tarpon availability within kayak range of nearly every inlet during the summer, and large red drum availability during the fall.

I will agree with this statement 100%, took my boat to PCB 4 years ago and was amazed at how many kings we caught and all were within 5 miles of shore, in fact the largest ones right off the beach . We catch kings here trollling shipping channel and there are some off the beaches but NOTHING like in the Gulf or at least that is my perspective

Sea Pro 210cc
Yamaha 200 4 Stroke
Dodge 1500 4x4 HEMI
2008 Corvette 3LT

quote:
Originally posted by Ksims152

New to the area, but last year did some trolling in Destin, FL from my kayak and had a ton of success. Is this a lost cause in the Charleston area do to reachable depths. Or does any one out there have some good advice on where it would be best to try trolling for kings. Also since I’m New down here, where are some good places to get your kayak in, other then the beach.

Kenny Sims

They catch kings of the Folly beach pier. If you put effort into it with proper baits, you can catch kings from the yak for sure. Reds or sharks will certainly be an easier task to accomplish.

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

You can catch them but you better bring a ton of rigs because you are going to catch sharks. Slow trolling live baits seems to work the best and clean water is a MUST. Good luck