Kings

Charleston fishing for kings, how about a report. Been gone five years fishing inshore.

youre a bit early friend

Right sc89, I wanted a ā€œgeneralā€ report for the past few years, and the outlook for this season would be appreciated. Charleston km fishermen seem to be quiet on the siteā€¦

ā€œThe big oneā€™s still swimming, letā€™s go.ā€

As for my personal experience, king fishing has gotten lots tougher over the last 5 years. I donā€™t know the reason, but the numbers are not there like they used to be.

Thanks so much for the reply raddaddy, thatā€™s what I have heard from others also. I hope this will be a thread that covers all information concerning km fishing in and around Charleston. Other than the tournament guys maybe not wanting to give out information I really canā€™t see why we donā€™t share ā€˜generalā€™ information as to areas and specific information as to gear etc. Also while weather conditions keep us in and the season is not here we can have some good conversations on cf.com.

In the time I have spent on this site the km forum seems to be quiet more than most others. Hopefully this thread will change that situation, just sayingā€¦

quote:
Originally posted by mac daddy

Thanks so much for the reply raddaddy, thatā€™s what I have heard from others also. I hope this will be a thread that covers all information concerning km fishing in and around Charleston. Other than the tournament guys maybe not wanting to give out information I really canā€™t see why we donā€™t share ā€˜generalā€™ information as to areas and specific information as to gear etc. Also while weather conditions keep us in and the season is not here we can have some good conversations on cf.com.

In the time I have spent on this site the km forum seems to be quiet more than most others. Hopefully this thread will change that situation, just sayingā€¦

PS: deep jigging for km is a subject I would like someone to cover if possibleā€¦

I donā€™t necessarily agree with the dwindling numbers and being harder to catch. I do think that areas that used to hold fish for many years arenā€™t holding them in any numbers anymore. There are a lot of factors and I am not going to say I know them, but I have seen a drastic pattern change.
The last time we had good numbers of fish on the beach (less than 5 miles offshore) was 5 years ago. Since then it seems kings have been arriving later in the warmer months. We used to have good numbers of fish here in May. Here off Charleston we donā€™t really see any until the middle of June to early July. We also used to have several more king tournaments in May and June in the past and it doesnā€™t take 50-100 king mackerel fisherman long to locate an area that will hold fish and then spread the word of the location.
We do have a migration that happens around the middle of May, but those fish are passing through and a lot of these fish are either very small or very large. In the past several years I have caught a lot of kings of all sizes. I will admit that these places are nowhere near the popular spots of the past and anglers donā€™t seem to take the time to pre-fish and do their homework in locating them in new areas.
A prime example of the pattern change was 3 years ago when all the fish were packed into just a few live bottom areas. We had days then where we caught 30-40 per day during several tournaments. Of course a lot of these fish were were mostly 20 lbers. with a few larger fish in the mix. Last year was a very good year for numbers of fish and I hope it continues into this year and years to come. The SAFC made some adjustments to the fishery last July and I hope will help bring up the numbers we had 10-15 years ago.
As far as a report goes, we wonā€™t have any reports as long as this horrible weather continues. I do think we will have an early arrival this year but I wouldnā€™t be fishing close to shore to startā€¦just my .02.

Tight lines, Robert.

Robert Olsen

Thanks so much for the reply captain, your reputation precedes you. That was exactly the report I was looking for. Looks like the jettys and shipping channel kings are very patchy as I thought. Also kings
are farther off shore now apparently, so changes are coming in km fishing. The last time I
Was on this site five years ago as you stated, the shipping channel was popular for kings. so comments for this years fishing welcome.

Also a good time to handle questions for passing some time.

why is this forum one of the least used?

quote:
Looks like the jettys and shipping channel kings are very patchy as I thought. Also kings are farther off shore now apparently, so changes are coming in km fishing.

I havenā€™t fished for them much lately, and when I do itā€™s more down around Hilton Head and Savannah, but I charter fished for many years and the general pattern was always the same. In early spring you will find most of them on live bottom and wrecks in 90+ feet. As the water warms they start moving closer to shore and show up on the closer in artificial reefs and patch bottom. By July they are running the beach fronts and shipping channels. The larger fish will move in close to spawn in late summer and the snakes usually stay out deeper.

Iā€™d bet that the 6 largest kings Iā€™ve ever caught were all in late summer and within sight of land. But early season, fish deep.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

ā€œShips are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.ā€ -Robert N. Rose

Thanks for the reply cracker,'VE RY good report. Keep 'em coming guys , I have seen quite a few questions here before too that help keep a thread going. I hope this year finds better fishing in close earlier.

Question: how do you guys catch ribbon fish? Also, is there any bait that works Inshore other than live bait?

Welcome back

Hey Sharkie, THANKS for the good words. I am definitely looking forward to fishing with you someday. I live in Charlotte, but my son is in Charleston, so I have access to being there anytime.

I know you live in Columbia, or did at last contact. My son and me would love to fish Murray with you in our boat if you want.

Got to go now, will talk laterā€¦

This thread should be revived for the June and July season 2023.

Anybody had good catches thus far, and any bait reports lately?

Triple T and Capt. Olson where are you now, we need you.

Catchā€™m 16-30 miles out. Pulling Mackahoos with cigars mainly right now. Mostly snakes and Cudas get about 1 out of 6 we hook up on.

1 Like

Welcome to the site, and keep us posted!

Thanks!!