Lake Atlantic

Headed out late morning to throw the fly on a beautiful winter day. Started in real shallow and got bored with big C-Bass on the sinking line…headed out and started seeing Albies in 45’…really thick in 60’…had many shots but fish were soooo picky…eating baits less than a 1/4 inch long…managed a couple on the fly…

The ocean was alive… saw turtles in 55 degree water,tons of Albies, ocean sunfish, and giant school of Spades in 100’. Water was 65 in 100’.

Tried a few spots for some Triggers but it was either too cold for em’ or the C-Bass too thick. As you all know the C-Bass are a real problem out there & they may keep it closed for all of 2013…still under discussion by our brilliant Feds. The feds won’t act until
C-Bass start decimating the other bottom fish populations.

We were out there as well yesterday just plinking around. I couldn’t get those albies to look at anything that I could throw. I knew I had to size down, but I didn’t have small enough tackle aboard to throw any lures smaller than 1/2 oz. It was a beautiful day to be out. Did you guys get stopped by DNR because we did in 90 ft. They just checked registration and fish boxes which were of course empty (couldn’t find any triggers either), and said they were doing research for the feds. They were very nice and were on their way after only 5 or so minutes. They came out of Port Royal Sound and were in a Contender with dual 250s.

I did not get stopped. Went in through Stono Inlet.
The Albies were super picky…my smallest baitfish imitation is a half inch long…most times it was refused.
Went deeper to find some eating bigger baits but it was the same story…microscopic bait was their choice

quote:
Originally posted by RADDADDY

We were out there as well yesterday just plinking around. I couldn’t get those albies to look at anything that I could throw. I knew I had to size down, but I didn’t have small enough tackle aboard to throw any lures smaller than 1/2 oz. It was a beautiful day to be out. Did you guys get stopped by DNR because we did in 90 ft. They just checked registration and fish boxes which were of course empty (couldn’t find any triggers either), and said they were doing research for the feds. They were very nice and were on their way after only 5 or so minutes. They came out of Port Royal Sound and were in a Contender with dual 250s.

what kind of research?code for fishing?

Raddaddy what inlet you out of?

That day I went out of the S. Edisto, but normally I leave from the N. Edisto.

quote:
Originally posted by FishnBarrels

Raddaddy what inlet you out of?

Research , my foot. They’re enforcing federal regulations - for a fee.

quote:
Originally posted by ladyshrimpkilla
quote:
Originally posted by BlueFly

Headed out late morning to throw the fly on a beautiful winter day. Started in real shallow and got bored with big C-Bass on the sinking line…headed out and started seeing Albies in 45’…really thick in 60’…had many shots but fish were soooo picky…eating baits less than a 1/4 inch long…managed a couple on the fly…

The ocean was alive… saw turtles in 55 degree water,tons of Albies, ocean sunfish, and giant school of Spades in 100’. Water was 65 in 100’.

Tried a few spots for some Triggers but it was either too cold for em’ or the C-Bass too thick. As you all know the C-Bass are a real problem out there & they may keep it closed for all of 2013…still under discussion by our brilliant Feds. The feds won’t act until
C-Bass start decimating the other bottom fish populations.

You talkin’ about false albies? Aka bonita?

With rates so low, now may be the perfect time to refinance or purchase your dream home. If you are thinking about home financing give me a ring!</font id=“blue”>

Heather Leman
Direct: 843-343-8169
NMLS# 279616
hleman@primelending.com
www.shakeyourbouy.com

Yes

Isn’t there a difference between false albacore (little tunny) and atlantic bonita? Which one is out there in huge numbers right now between 45 and 90 ft?

quote:
Originally posted by RADDADDY

Isn’t there a difference between false albacore (little tunny) and atlantic bonita? Which one is out there in huge numbers right now between 45 and 90 ft?

If you wanna get all technical on us, yes. False albacore/little tunny are what you see all over the place out there right now.

So DNR is now running offshore to check people? RADDADDY, were you fishing or cruising when they stopped you? Seems like a lot of gas burnt to check fishboxes.

quote:
Originally posted by scdiver

So DNR is now running offshore to check people? RADDADDY, were you fishing or cruising when they stopped you? Seems like a lot of gas burnt to check fishboxes.

I’ve been checked 25 miles from the rocks. That was 5 years ago. Also been checked a few other times in “federal” waters but that was the furthest. He kept heading towards the ledge when he left.

There is an Atlantic Bonita, usually see them more up North. What people call Bonita here are little tunny/false albacore. You should google them, they look very different.

I was seeking specifics on the fish ID because you read where people eat other species in the tuna family and most times call them bonita, but everyone on this site who has ever said they have tried a bonita said it was bloody and horrible. I didn’t know if people were comparing apples to oranges. As for getting checked, we were on a big stretch of hard bottom near the Edisto 90 and had made a long drift with nothing but c-bass, so we decided to eat lunch. He had obviously seen us on RADAR and made a b-line for us from the SW. He checked registration and filled out a duplicate sheet on the contents of our fish boxes, returned the yellow copy to us, then was on his way back SW. No license or safety equipment was checked which I found odd. The fish boxes and coolers were all they were concerned with in order to match boat with fish taken.

Bottom Line = Duck season is over.

Let’s go fishin

www.onlyinthecarolinas.com

They checked me in the calibouge … brand new contender

Checked our boxes and my license didnt check anyone elses…

Gave me the form back stating what fish we had on board and moved on…

If they close Sea Bass for 2013, there should be anarchy in the streets.

At least they are not checking suspected secret compartments…yet…ha ha…

I’m just gonna be quiet on the subject. I get to upset and vocal. I’m sure they could search everywhere but i I’m glad to hear they are focusing on the fish boxes. I know someone who landed a gag a few weeks ago from very deep. Vented it the best he could. He left the thing floating but let’s just say it had a few choice cuts missing from it’s body. By the way…this fish was over 42"long and probably not far from the state record. He was just farting around jigging. They had been after whoo and black fins. These laws are beyond screwed up. It’s a major stripping of liberties.

False Albacore are not very good eating…very strong and bloody flesh. In some countries people love them…the Atlantic Bonita on the other hand is really good eating…about the same size as an “Albie” but slightly different coloration and straight horizontal lines. I have not seen one in quite a while but they do come through our waters in the Spring.