Lasik eye surgery

Who here has had it?
Who was your Dr?
Would you recommend the surgery/Dr?

if you have ever had any eye problems do not use one of the Lasik clinics, go to an Opthamologist, preferably the one that knows your history

Lasik would have caused huge problems for me, one of the clinics said “no problem, it will be great”, my Opthamologist said “no way, we won’t touch you, you could end up blind”

went to an expert and was told that Lasik would be a problem but PRK would be OK, did PRK on one eye 23 years ago, it’s been great

strongly advise that you do one eye, I corrected my dominant eye for distance and left the other alone for close vision

my wife had a big astigmatism (sp?), wore glasses since childhood, and they took care of her

bottom line is don’t rush, do some reading

i’m in Columbia and used The Eye Center, Drs Huff and Clary

Pioneer 197SF

x2 Blue.

I would go as far as to have a couple of Dr. agree before I had anything done. Getting the right procedure for what you exactly need is all the difference.

PRK is a very old science, and it does work. But, it hurts like hell. LASIK is newer, but medically speaking, it too is old. VISIK is the newest sight correction method out there and it is amazing. Not sure if anywhere in the local does this or not. Had mine done when out in Colorado a couple of years ago. Absolutely amazing, and zero pain. Immediate result.

quote:
Originally posted by Blueskyguy

if you have ever had any eye problems do not use one of the Lasik clinics, go to an Opthamologist, preferably the one that knows your history

Lasik would have caused huge problems for me, one of the clinics said “no problem, it will be great”, my Opthamologist said “no way, we won’t touch you, you could end up blind”

went to an expert and was told that Lasik would be a problem but PRK would be OK, did PRK on one eye 23 years ago, it’s been great

strongly advise that you do one eye, I corrected my dominant eye for distance and left the other alone for close vision

my wife had a big astigmatism (sp?), wore glasses since childhood, and they took care of her

Pioneer 197SF

How did you adjust to having one eye for distance and one for close vision?

I’ve been near sighted for ever. Just starting to loose my close vision. Had an eye doctor suggest using two different contacts. I tried it and it made me dizzy and gave me a head ache.

I’m thinking of just correcting my distance in both eyes and wearing reading glasses as needed.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
Originally posted by Half-hitched

PRK is a very old science, and it does work. But, it hurts like hell. LASIK is newer, but medically speaking, it too is old. VISIK is the newest sight correction method out there and it is amazing. Not sure if anywhere in the local does this or not. Had mine done when out in Colorado a couple of years ago. Absolutely amazing, and zero pain. Immediate result.

I second the “Hurts a lot” part!! Couldn’t do Lasik, had to do PRK. They gave me Loratab eye drops, and that didn’t cut the pain one bit!! PRK is extremely painful for a few days after the surgery, but well worth it. Knowing how painful it was, I would still do it again if necessary. Lasic from what I was told was pain free. I used Dr. Kerry Soloman with the Storm Eye Institute, did a great job!! Its been about 12 years and I still have 20/20 vision.

I was told the difference between the two is with Lasic, thay cut your eye lense into a flap and fold it over out the way so the laser can do its thing. With PRK, I had to pick up radioactive (no joke) eye drops from Pitt Street Pharmacy and they used them in each eye, scrapped a layer off my lense and shot the laser through my lense. The eye drops had something to do with preventing smoke build-up inside the eye. I layed down on the table, took my glases off and couldn’t see a thing. A few minutes later, they sat me up and I could read the clock on the wall clear as day… It’s amazing!!

One Simple Thanks!!

http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

I had Lasik about 6 or 7 yrs ago. Dr Soloman was the surgeon. I highly recommend it, its so nice not to deal with glasses and contacts. It’s not perfect however. I’ll tell you my experiences.

• Pre-work was all good, lots of measurements, friendly staff
  • Surgery day you will feel like cattle being led to slaughter (well that’s a little dramatic, but slabs of beef anyway), they do a lot of people on surgery day and its not like they rush and are not careful, but it just feels a little strange having so many people going through it.
  • I was pretty nervous as I’m sure most are. The procedure is not bad really. You can see everything happening through your own eyes and the best way to describe it is it feels like you’re wearing a mask underwater and they are doing work on the glass on the mask. If that makes sense.
  • The procedure is painless, but they give you some pain medicine and tell you to keep your eyes closed for about 4 hrs after, go and take a nap is recommended. If you do that the pain is pretty minimal but it hurt pretty bad on the ride home.
  • They will advise you that your eyes will fade in and out of good vision for up to a year. Believe it, because its true. Being an “optiker” this drove me crazy because one week one eye would be blurry and the next week the other eye would be blurry and the original would be better. I’ve settled out now.
  • My night vision is not good. I see stars and halos, traffic lights look like clusters of dots. To me, this is a minor inconvenience of having no glasses and great daytime vision.
  • My daytime sight is still very good, and at age 48 I still do not need reading glasses (but that has nothing to do with lasik)
  • They say people with dry eyes should not get lasik. I have dry eyes and that was a main reason I wanted lasik, because I also have astigmatism and that required a toric contact lens that had to rotate on your tears. I wanted to take them out and rip them up! I just use a lot of eye drops in the morning and night and I’m fine.
  • I’d do i

I’ve been intersted in it for a while, glad someone came up with the question and really appreciate the answers. I have astigmatism and have gotten used to the toric lenses, so I’m pretty happy right now. The new contacts are way better than the old ones I had 10 years ago.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:

Quick clarification here just because the first time I read this I did a double take.

Everyone who PERFORMS lasik is an ophthalmologist except in 1 or 2 states. So you will see an ophto one way or the other.

The difference he’s getting at is - the lasik clinic specific ophthos may be more likely push lasik, while a general ophtho practice may suggest alternatives. Sort of like going to see a surgeon for a sore shoulder - they may suggest surgery while a general sports med doc may suggest physical therapy as an alternative.

This is a great post. My oldest wears contacts/glasses and we’re hoping in the next couple of years to have whatever procedure is appropriate done so he can be glasses/contact free. The thought of someone doing anything to my eyes is kind of creepy but, I’ve never had to wear glasses so…

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:

Pioneer 197SF

How did you adjust to having one eye for distance and one for close vision?

I’ve been near sighted for ever. Just starting to loose my close vision. Had an eye doctor suggest using two different contacts. I tried it and it made me dizzy and gave me a head ache.

I’m thinking of just correcting my distance in both eyes and wearing reading glasses as needed.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

I had a day or so of mild discomfort with PRK, no real pain

I also tried the different contacts and bifocal contacts, didn’t like them

the brain sorts it out fairly quickly, no problem, I asked the MD to do both and he said, "just do one, there is no di

Ok, so the magic question is, how much does it cost? I have heard its around 3-5K per eye.

Thanks for all of the comments. I went to Dr Solomon and the staff was great, but I have a scar on one eye and they told me that they would probably have to do PRK on that one and lasik on the other. I am not sure what I want to do yet though. Contacts and glasses are tried and true.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

I was quoted close to $4900 for both eyes, and that was including $400 towards a “warranty” if anything changes they will correct it.

quote:
Originally posted by MyHooker111

Ok, so the magic question is, how much does it cost? I have heard its around 3-5K per eye.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

I have to make an observation that I know zero ophthalmologists that have had lasik. In fact, most just wear glasses.