last few days

Sunday hit the jetties and my son and nephew caught some nice black drum for dinner. I was actually fishing for sheephead and couldn’t find fidlers so I figured I would try clams which I have never done. Zero sheephead were caught but the BSB’s eat it like crack. Either way we all had a good day.

Today the wifey and I thought we would try drifting some artificial’s along the bank in harbor for trout. I tried the trout trick with trout eye, a christmas tree with trout eye and a good ol’ electric chicken. Had a few strikes but really didn’t land anything drifting with current. We hit a spot in the cooper and wife caught one undersized, but that was it. After seeing Optiker and others reports with artificial’s I feel like a failure. I’ll try again around a little more structure next time. Maybe it will get better.

Either way I wasn’t at work!!!

B.O.A.T. Bust Out Another Thousand!

2016 Sea Pro 219

Keep at it man. Don’t let Optikers reports set you back. If it was easy everyone’s reports would be full making all reports boring. Half the fun is finding spots and discovering what works.

Keep at it man. Don’t let Optikers reports set you back. If it was easy everyone’s reports would be boring. Half the fun is finding spots and sucovering what works.

I haven’t seen sheep in a few weeks. My last two trips to the jetties were a bust for sheep. I need to get on those black drum!

This time of year with all the shrimp try to VUDU Shrimp white under a cork on the grass lines and points. Throw at all ranges from on the bank to 10 yards off the bank and all in between. Drink till you find them and rinse and repeat. Dont let other reports like Optiker get you down he has a lot of experience and knows the cooper really well.

Day out on the water spending QT with your lady is what its all about.

Hookem!

DOA under a cork is good as well. Fish the 2 hours either of both sides of the high tide. If are not catching them just keep moving until you find them.

He must Increase,but I must decrease. John 3:30

I really appreciate the tips guys and will definitely try those. I hope to hit the water again next Tuesday with new weapons!

B.O.A.T. Bust Out Another Thousand!

2016 Sea Pro 219

a natural pattern voodoo shrimp under a popping cork has been my go to for trout lately but you can also try gulp shrimp (pearl with chartreuse tail) on a 3/16 oz trout eye jig head, throw it to the grass line and slowly bounce/twitch it back to you.

Mike

Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak

Hammerred try not to be discouraged. Remember that 95% of the fish are in 5% of the water. I’ve been where you are. But I’ve been at it pretty avidly for 10 yrs. I’d suggest picking a creek and learning it really well. For me that was clouter Creek early on. It was all I fished for a few years and I learned a lot about it. With experience good spots will look obvious in hindsight . Keep at it, there is no substitution than time on the water. Keep positive and have fun and things will fall intof place

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

quote:
Remember that 95% of the fish are in 5% of the water.

True that! And remember that 5% of the fishermen catch 95% of the fish :smiley: It takes years on the water to get good at it. Got to pay your dues.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Love all the encouragement from everybody. I’ve been on my kayak a bunch this summer and the bite was slow for me, still learning like you. I had a solid day down on Hunting Island a few weeks back, another time I caught 12 trout one day and then the next, NOTHING. I agree with everyone here, keep at it and it’ll eventually click one day. My most successful rig has been a 3/16 trout eye with a green berkley gulp bait in those small plastic tubs. For some reason I usually clean up on those.

05 SeaFox 197CC
125 Mercury

Guys, I’ve elected to go fishing on Election Day. I’ve got the day off from work. A couple of questions…on a calm day, how do you feel about the jetties in a Carolina Skiff JV17?
Also, I’d be thrilled to get a mess of BSB…are there any keepers in that close? I’m also curious about fishing with clams. I’ve never done it and I’d love to know more about it.
Thank you for your help!

Carolina Skiff 17
50 Yamaha

One of the best things about fishing is the definition of a good day of catching. When you are a beginner, catching one fish is a banner day worth celebrating. With more experience, catching several is a good day. Then, maybe catching a target species or certain size. There is always a new challenge, ie fly rod etc. If it was easy, it wouldn’t be fun.

OrangeCrush - I was at the rocks in my 13 whaler on a calm day a week ago. Just keep your head on a swivel and use good judgement. From what I have been told about the CS JV series, they are a lot different than a Whaler, in that if you take wave in the JV it will flip over since the foam is on the bottom. Whalers will not. Just be careful to not take a wave over the side. Catch em up!

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

In my experience there aren’t many keeper BSB at the Jetties, you could easily pull up 20 in a few hours and only have one be a keeper, then it’s probably only barely a keeper and barely worth cleaning vs the meat that it yields

207 CC SeaHunt
Yamaha 150

I agree on the BSB at the Jetties. Went out yesterday and caught many. All way under size. On a good note though the wife brought in a beauty of a Bull Red.