lead prices

I am curious as to what yall pay for lead to make weights with? I found a guy selling it in 2.5 pound pieces for .90 cents a pound and it is pure lead from x-ray equipment at a hospital. Does this seem like a good deal? I have never purchased lead before to make sinkers, but figured it would save me money in the long run and my friend has all the molds I would need.

17 Carolina Skiff
60 Johnson

That is an outstanding price if it is indeed pure soft lead. Typically, lead is running about $2-$3 a pound from scrap yards, but you never know what other metals are mixed with the lead. Wheel weight lead, for instance, is full of alloys that make pouring a pain in the neck for some molds.

Yeah, pouring the alloy used in tire weights on my molds requires me to get the mold ROASTING hot, otherwise I never can get the mold filled properly (egg sinkers 1/4 oz up to 3 oz).

… The Cross of Christ is the anvil upon which the hammer of evil wore itself out.

He says this is pure lead and he uses it making bullets for his handguns.

17 Carolina Skiff
60 Johnson

At that price what do you have to lose:question:

.12 an ounce delivered is hard to beat and that can be found on ebay in whatever style and size you want.

Charleston City Papers Best Guide of 2014

That comes out to just over 5 cents an oz…great deal

NN

07, 23 Key West, Twin 115 Yammys

“Coastal Bound”

www.joinrfa.org/

.12 an oz. delivered is definitely well below the average price. Can you please share the SELLER?

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

.12 an ounce delivered is hard to beat and that can be found on ebay in whatever style and size you want.

How much time does it take to melt and pour your sinkers? How dangerous is it?

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz

How much time does it take to melt and pour your sinkers? How dangerous is it?

For you, shouldn’t kill too many more brain cells.

Seriously it isn’t that hard. It’s hot and dangerous though if you don’t pay attention.

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

Lead is all around you if you look it in the right places. I get all mine for free from tire shops and construction jobs. Pouring it is fast and not very dangerous if you are a careful person. All I really pour anymore is 16 and 20 ounce bank sinkers. I pulled about 75lbs of old lead ridge cap that came off a roof out of the wando river a couple years ago. Got scrap metal… take it to the scrap yard and ask to trade for lead instead of cash. I wouldnt spend my hard earned money to buy lead that I still have to melt and pour

quote:
Originally posted by CaptDan Pouring it is fast and not very dangerous if you are a careful person.

Let’s be careful here; melting lead and lead fumes are very dangerous, but using special precautions, it can be done with minimal risk.

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

okay 23 it is dangerous but it does not take a rocket scientist or tons of safety equipment to do it safely. Where a respirator, protective gloves and do it in an environment where there is absolutely zero chance of any moisture contacting molten lead

TAKING THE PROPER SAFETY PRECAUTIONS IS KEY! If you use lots of lead, making your own can be easy, fun, and save you some money. I invested in a variety of molds years ago and do not regret it! This is the time of year I will invite a few friends over and we will make several hundred sinkers in just a few hours! The trick to removing the different alloys in lead is to put a piece of candle wax into the melted lead. After the flame burns out, all the impurities can be skimmed from the top and the pure lead is left. There are several youtube videos on pouring sinkers that show the pros and cons. Good luck!:smiley: Capt. Buddy B.

quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Buddy B

TAKING THE PROPER SAFETY PRECAUTIONS IS KEY! If you use lots of lead, making your own can be easy, fun, and save you some money. I invested in a variety of molds years ago and do not regret it! This is the time of year I will invite a few friends over and we will make several hundred sinkers in just a few hours! The trick to removing the different alloys in lead is to put a piece of candle wax into the melted lead. After the flame burns out, all the impurities can be skimmed from the top and the pure lead is left. There are several youtube videos on pouring sinkers that show the pros and cons. Good luck!:smiley: Capt. Buddy B.

I have lots of lead as well as molds and agree. I purchased a pack of those little cheap candles for $1.50 @ Walmart and pop them out of the tin they are in and drop it in. Then just skim away the trash and drop in a metal bucket.

NN

07, 23 Key West, Twin 115 Yammys

“Coastal Bound”

www.joinrfa.org/

I just give someone my credit card info and pay .12 an ounce and am done with it. Since I get paid to fish it’s easier to justify the costs. I’d be willing to pay any of you .16 an ounce for flat bank sinkers if you want to sell them.

I do not have a flat blank mold, but if I get one in the future I will be gad to make you some! What ounce flats do you use? Molds typically cost around $30 and come in a variety of sizes. Depends on your interest in flat blank ounce size! Capt Buddy B.

From 2-5 ounces depending on current. Mostly 2’s and 3’s though.

My seller on ebay hs a handle of Newjerseyredneck
Contacted another seller and their offer for 1000 OZ’s is $165 shipping included.
100 3’s
100 4’s
and 60 5’s
That’s a good deal in my book.

Bottomdwellers online sell the molds for $27.50 each plus shipping! Looks like your connection will work for you! If I ever invest in the flat sinker molds, I’ll let you know Capt Fritz! You can never have too many sinkers! Capt Buddy B.