learning to fly fish...top 10 want to learn asap

I’ve been fishing since I was old enough to hold a fishing rod. It’s always been a spinning rod but lately mainly focusing on reds for the past couple years…and of course practicing C.P.R. (catch/photo/release) and tagging them to try to help out the good guys in green with studies. I’ve been seeing a lot of fly fishing for reds in the shallows and just fly fishing period. Learning how to fly fish has always been on my bucket list to do and wish i could add another form of fishing under my belt.

I was just curious about what it would run me starting from scratch? (Rod/reel/line/tackle for around here) Doesn’t have to be top of the line equipment. It could be one i found on the side of the road as long as it would cast and bring in the fish. Lol. Dont have much of a budget to spend on it right now bc of a few series of bad luck . Maybe someone knows somebody that might be getting rid of some old equipment? Even if in terrible shape but still works so it may be in my budget?

Any information is welcome on this subject.
</font id=“Andale Mono”>

Cabela’s has a great deal online on their Three Forks rod and Prestige Plus reel. Several sizes to choose. Priced $69 to $79 plus tax and shipping (around $10). Regular price is right at $150.

Great entry level outfit. Fly line, backing and leader included.

Just received mine yesterday. Looks great for the money.

I don’t know anything about fly fishing except that I would probably be worse at it than regular fishing. Steep & Cheap has FF gear for sale on their site all the time and the prices look really good. I have contemplated buying a rod/reel and line just to fool around with myself but don’t know enough about it to even know what to start with.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

SHOP LOCAL.

Buying online will never provide you with any local knowledge that is essential for a successful fishing trip.

It is very possible to start fishing in the Lowcountry with a combo starting at the $150 price point.

experience noun \ik-#712;spir–#601;n(t)s

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.

Hurricane speaks the truth.

The guys at Charleston angler are very helpful and have great local flavor flies, plus haddrells is holding a seminar for fly fishing beginners April 12th. Mike Able is a great one to learn from. You’ll learn more in the hour or so there than you would in a year trying to figure it out yourself.

There’s no replacement for good local knowledge.

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

I work at Haddrell’s so I am biased. But spending your money at any of the shops locally is better than throwing money to a big box store.

experience noun \ik-#712;spir–#601;n(t)s

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.

Thanks for the info guys going to see what o can do. And really goong to try to make ot to one of his classes for sure

Keep your lines tight and remember. Respect the fish and your fellow fisherman. Know the Code.

I really want to learn too! Will most likely see you
at the seminar on the 12th. I’d feel like a ninja out there on a paddle board/ kayak with a fly-rod!

Connor Malark

Check out the sportsman consignment place in Mt. P for some used gear. Last time I was in there he had a Reddington combo I almost bought along with about 5-6 other fly combos. I bought a used TFO rod years ago to get me started and paired it with a new Pflueger Trion reel, same reel as a Battenkill, even down to being able to interchange spools between the two. Im beginner when it comes to saltwater fly fishing, but I think this TFO is great.

www.militaryappreciationday.org

Where is the seminar being held?

Keep your lines tight and remember. Respect the fish and your fellow fisherman. Know the Code.

http://old.charlestonfishing.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=152940

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

Thanks sail

Fly fishing is amazing for small things like sea trout, and quite good for reds.

For the smaller fish you could survive with a 4-5 weight rig for about $75-100. For reds you probably want a 7-9, which might be $100-150.
If you want to go with the fancy stuff you can spend a LOT more.
Savings hint: Check pawn shops. I picked up a 4-5 bamboo rig used for less than the big stores charge for fiberglass. Shop owner did not know what he had.

Big hint: Sign up for casting lessons. You cast the line not the lure, so you have to relearn everything.

Once you have mastered that and have had your first successful fly fishing trip, you will rarely go fishing again without a fly rig available. Fly is not the answer to everything, but there are many times when (depending upon conditions and terrain) fly fishing will be VERY productive. And if you ever go to fresh water rainbow/brook trout locations, fly is DEADLY.

ericpret

Thanks going to be looking into all the suggestions. Ttying to get rid of a rod and reel setup to maybe get one

Onthewater,

I grew up in the mountains of northern NH, and I’ve been a fly fisherman all my life, basically, and I’m 61 now. But the vast majority of my experience was in fresh water, for trout, salmon, or smallmouth bass. I moved to the Lowcountry 9 years ago and decided to check out what was available locally as far as fly fishing. I have frequented several of the area businesses, but the guys at The Lowcountry Fly Shop, on Coleman Blvd in Mt. Pleasant, have been absolutely terrific. Scotty, Dave, Matt, or any of the guys there can be a huge help, and they are laid back, no high pressure sales pitch guys who are very knowledgeable. I do not work there, nor do I get any referral discount, etc, but I cannot recommend the Lowcountry Fly Shop highly enough. I strongly suggest checking them out.

Thank you bigred to the advice. Will def look into it.