Leasing versus owning a car

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

It’s great that you accept your situation and know that you want a new car every 3 years. A lease works great for your situation and then you have no pressure to try and trade or sell your car. For the few like me that drive one for 8-10 years, and have no fear of breaking down because I know how to maintain a car, a lease is not a good move.

That’s pretty much exactly what I said earlier. I don’t know where the “tipping” point is because that depends on how much a person drives. They can’t just say, “I have no payments after year 5, so I am saving X amount”. Well that’s not really true because they have an asset that is still depreciating. It’s essentially making a “payment” out of your equity. In other words, if the car is worth $25K the day you “pay it off”, and you keep it another 5 years, that car might be worth $5K at the end. So, the reality is, it “cost” you $333/mo to continue to own that car over those next 5 years. You are just paying it out of your equity rather than your paycheck. So, while it DOES free up your “cash flow”, it’s depreciating and your “net worth” is still dropping.

That being said, yes, I do believe if you hold on to a car long enough, there is a tipping point where it’s better to buy than to lease, but again, there are other reasons why having a newer car can outweigh those other savings.

This is all so exciting.

23 says you only need 20 baits for a day of fishing.

Asking a bunch of internet knotheads on how to make your financial decisions on buying/leasing a car is your first mistake. Go to dealership, sit down and speak with someone, and make your best decision from there. Don’t listen to a bunch of internet financial wizards. Everyone will always defend the decision they made and try to justify their actions whether they are right or wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

What’d ya get?

A car with so many features it can actually smell your farts and tell you what you had for breakfast.

I didn’t get anything, with my trust fund I’m still driving my 04 SuBurban with 194k on it, I bought it used with the intention of keeping it forever. Even though "I know how to maintain my vehicle " you never know when something major could happen. Hopefully she keeps on running down the road for a few more years, especially since we have brand new car to drive.

quote:
Originally posted by stunter

Asking a bunch of internet knotheads on how to make your financial decisions on buying/leasing a car is your first mistake. Go to dealership, sit down and speak with someone, and make your best decision from there. Don’t listen to a bunch of internet financial wizards. Everyone will always defend the decision they made and try to justify their actions whether they are right or wrong.

You just advised the hen to get advice from the fox and you are saying our advice is bad? Everything I said is on the web. You could always look it up, but that's the problem. People would rather trust the dealer then actually do research!!!
quote:

My mind had already been made up, just threw it out for discussion to see what the peanut galleries take on it would be. Skinnee provided some very good detail for you folks.

I sat down with my buddy “Rick” and he broke it down for me and gave me what I feel is a good deal. In 30 months we will see.

I guess all the advantages SJ mentions about leasing cars also applies to women… I got suckered by the dealer into a purchase agreement…

RBF

quote:
Originally posted by CaptFritz
quote:

My mind had already been made up, just threw it out for discussion to see what the peanut galleries take on it would be. Skinnee provided some very good detail for you folks.

I sat down with my buddy “Rick” and he broke it down for me and gave me what I feel is a good deal. In 30 months we will see.

They would trust me more if I was making a profit off of them. Evidently "for no reason" is a horrible excuse to help someone. That being said, is it time to double down on the MUX yet?
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:
quote:

They would trust me more if I was making a profit off of them. Evidently "for no reason" is a horrible excuse to help someone. That being said, it's it time to double down on the MUX yet?
We do need to figure out what to do with this 25k that we had for a purchase and now we get to keep it (for awhile) I was thinking of sports gambling in Vegas.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by skinneej
quote:
quote:

They would trust me more if I was making a profit off of them. Evidently "for no reason" is a horrible excuse to help someone. That being said, it's it time to double down on the MUX yet?
We do need to figure out what to do with this 25k that we had for a purchase and now we get to keep it (for awhile) I was thinking of sports gambling in Vegas.

She’s happy, which means I’m happy.

Why did you get her a vulva?

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

thats a goodlooking car.

i thought yall just killed a volvo?

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

thats a goodlooking car.

i thought yall just killed a volvo?

They stepped up when others wouldn't.

quote:

They stepped up when others wouldn’t.

Actually another wise move... If you aren't locked in to a specific brand\car, then more dealers need to compete for your business and there is always someone willing to make a deal.

Last couple of times I bought I negotiated, took all the rebates instead of the financing incentives and 6-8 months later bonus time rolled around and I paid off the cars. The very last time I traded a car worth $33k. I could have walked out with a $33k check and leased, or a $20k check with a lower lease payment. There was a big ballgame on tv that day so I said **** it I don’t have time to think about it, I’ll just buy it. Leases are probably cool, but new cars with titles are cool too.