Legal

Can law enforcement give you a “courtesy inspection” if you are anchored?

quote:
Originally posted by seacraft23

Can law enforcement give you a “courtesy inspection” if you are anchored?

Did it include a body cavity search?

That’s where I draw the line with them being courteous…

RBF

My name is RBF, and I am a recovering major thread hijacker.

I believe that if you are on the water and in the boat then you must have all required equipment and are subject to inspection at any time. The “courtesy inspection” is not just so they can create revenue, it is to help insure the safety of you and everyone aboard your vessel. Law Enforcement nor DNR wants to risk their lives any more than necessary saving someone especially due to something that was required and possibly completely preventable.

However I have been truthfully harassed by the Law Enforcement guys on the water. One situation got a little out of control as I was calling them out on it and it just so happens a DNR officer happened to be running the same course I was back to the landing and saw the non incident that I was being harassed about and very quickly put the officers in their place. Supposedly I did not yield the right of way to them when they were under power heading at me and I was drifting with my motor off actively casting and fishing docks along the edge of the river and had been doing so for the last 1/4 mile or more.

After that and a few other incidents, I am not the biggest fan of the Law Enforcement crew out around the harbor. I have witnessed a number of other incidents involving them that I was not too thrilled with their conduct.

On the other hand I have the utmost respect for DNR and never once have had anything but pleasant experiences with them.

Heck yes they can. Or any other time they want to. Most people fish when anchored. Your best bet is to say yes sir and no sir.

I’d have to draw the line at that body cavity search thing too, they won’t find a fish up there [:0]

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

Heck yes they can. Or any other time they want to. Most people fish when anchored. Your best bet is to say yes sir and no sir.

I’d have to draw the line at that body cavity search thing too, they won’t find a fish up there [:0]

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Might surprise you what some folks will do to hide an under the slot spot tail to avoid the fine…

RBF

My name is RBF, and I am a recovering major thread hijacker.

Got checked on anchor at the Regatta. Very nice guys and they let the others patrolling know that we were good so we wouldn’t get stopped when we left. Got checked on anchor at a reef fishing one time as well. Again, very courteous…just checked fishing license. Think he felt sorry for me b/c my cooler was empty and I was eating a 1/2 wet sandwich.

Seah Hunt Ultra 234 Yamaha F250
Sea Pro 190CC Yamaha F150 (sold)

I dont mind getting stopped by the DNR and checked for safety items. It gives you a chance to meat the people who patrol our waters. Never know when they might remember you were nice to them and give you a break just incase something slips by you, like a inoperational horn or a burnt out light. Had one give me a whistle once when my horn failed to work. Saved me a ticket.

I had one give me a bulb for my bow light about a month ago in Shem Creek. Even offered to let me use his tools, but I had my own.

Seah Hunt Ultra 234 Yamaha F250
Sea Pro 190CC Yamaha F150 (sold)

Never been stopped by a LEO, the rabbit sheriffs pull me over all the time. It’s a black boat thing. #Blackboatlivesmatter.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Coast Guard, DNR, and local law enforcement can check your boat while on the water. the only one I’ve ever said no to his Coast Guard auxiliary that wanted to give me a safety inspection while we were working.

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235 It's a black boat thing. #Blackboatlivesmatter.

lol. thanks, needed one

“I am not involved in this thread, only helping Fred understand who he is dealing with.”