LiFePO Decision

I am working with a manufacture (Epoch) to make my first non-lead acid battery purchase. After inspecting the bilge area of my SeaArk this weekend I discovered the platform that the batteries rest on is causing damage to the bottom (inside). Also the aluminum is pitted probably from battery acid but I am not sure about that…anyway I need to do something. Here is what I have done so far:

• Re-enforce the flooring where the platform stands rest on the bottom
  • Sand and paint the flooring - I used Flex Seal
  • Reroute and secure wiring and fuel line
  • Engage with a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery manufacture

I started researching battery alternatives last Feb. After visiting the Bassmaster Classic in Greenville I decided to hold off. Mainly due to the high number of Li-Po manufactures and the inconsistency of features offered. The chemistry to make a Li-Po electrochemical reaction is risky and needs dependable circuits to monitor and manage the reaction and state. Last year at the Classic, a few batteries had some of the circuits needed and some did not. But even those with protection did not cover ALL of the possibilities.

The tech has matured and now there are batteries that cover all of the protection circuits needed.

The circuits needed are:

1. Over charge and over discharge circuit
  2. Over current and short circuit protection circuit
  3. High and low temp cut off circuit
  4. Internal heater

These circuits should be monitored by the battery management system (BMS) that is inside the battery…not the charger.

In addition to these circuits you need an easy way to monitor the state of the battery. Typically, a BT app is provided to do this but there also needs to be a built-in monitor function on the battery. A phone can get lost or run out of power so you need a backup.

The li-po chargers are different than a typical lead-acid charger. These chargers should also be integrated with the battery BMS so that the charger turns itself off through BMS notification.

Since we fish saltwater the battery needs to be sealed so that the battery cells and circuits don’t get corroded.

Also the battery needs to be environmental friendly. The Iron in the new non-lead acid batteries is a step in the right direction. Iron can be recycled easier than Cobalt.

I will keep this post updated as I move further along making my decision on the Epoch battery. There are a few more questions I need answered and I need to study the warranty more. If anyone has any experience with the new battery tech please leave a comment.

Regardless I am signup for a new responsibility that comes with owning a boat. With Lead-acid its pretty much plug in the charger and forget it. Now I will have to set a reminder to check on the charge state of the battery. It does not matter what manufacture you chose. If your battery is going to sit for an extended period, it requires to be put in a discharge state (certain level of charge). Failure to do this will damage the battery and reduce the life.

1 Like

I know several with these and everyone loves them. Lot of them come with an 8amp charger or you upgrade to quicker chargers too… My bote loves the weight up front or I would have already gone this route!

Dakota Lithium Batteries Last Longer - The Best Lithium Battery is Dakota Lithium - Dakota Lithium Batteries

1 Like

@StumpNocker did you add the link to the Dakota batteries? Or was it inserted by the site? Just curious.

Either way I looked at those and I don’t recommend them. I found info where they are not including padding between the battery cells and case. And the short protection circuit doesn’t work.

I linked it.

Have a link to your info?

Well, you have 11 years of warranty I guess…

I found the info on several forums and FB but this video confirmed it

4:10 - Discovered through testing
8:00 - Further testing that melts the wire

This guys is good. He opens up all the lipo batteries on the market. They are mainly kayak batteries but I thinks it safe to assume the manufacture does all batteries the same…either way I am not spending $1000 to find out!

Thats the other thing…the warranty is either based on years or the number of charge cycles. you have to read the warranty to find out

Yea good stuff. Hopefully they learn from this. No surprise on the warranty, all batteries have that type of system. The other stuff is a little suspect though I agree. I wanna go short circuit my buds to try it out now haha

Nope…cant do it! The support and sales from several manufactures don’t really know the product like they should. Several are offering 10-15% discount if you call and speak directly with a salesrep. But they dont ask good questions to know what Ah you really need…I think a good sign on when to purchase is when boat dealers start including lipo as a standard package…thoughts?