Lighting the Morris Island Lighthouse 10/1/16

You heard that right, the Morris Island Lighthouse will be lit for 4 hours on Saturday night Oct 1, 2016. In celebration of the 140th anniversary of her first lighting SCE&G has graciously offered material and time to install lights in the lantern room. At the Old Coast Guard Station there will be a couple of short speeches and some local music starting at 7 then by 7:30 we will flip the switch and light the old gal one more time.
Save The Light will also soon be announcing the next phase of restoration work. We’re not done yet and we still need your help. The Time is Now, Save The Light www.savethelight.org

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

That’s amazing! Looking forward to it!

What a great project. Will it stay lit?

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

What a great project. Will it stay lit?

no sir…part of our agreement with the Coast Guard was that we will only have her lit for 4 hours that night…lights will only be on the land side of the lighthouse too, for obvious reasons [:0]

Bonz, what are they going to do? Haul a generator out there:question:

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

Bonz, what are they going to do? Haul a generator out there:question:

the SCE&G guys have a solar panel and some batteries…using LEDs so there’s not much power draw…

I got some shop lights and a generator if SCE&G fails to show…just know you have a back up plan buddy.

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

I got some shop lights and a generator if SCE&G fails to show…just know you have a back up plan buddy.

is it the one you make me pedal the bike to power?

Don’t be ridiculous; I just tell you that to see you in bicycle shorts.

Dang, a small generator and a drop cord would be easier! Or just fully charged batteries and a drop cord! Well, I guess if they are doing it for free and you don’t have to help lug the stuff out there:wink::smiley:

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

Dang, a small generator and a drop cord would be easier! Or just fully charged batteries and a drop cord! Well, I guess if they are doing it for free and you don’t have to help lug the stuff out there:wink::smiley:

they set all this stuff up weeks ago and run it via an app on their phone…we could not risk the day of the event blowing 50 knots and not being able to get somebody up in the lighthouse to crank up the generator or turn on the battery switch…

Very cool!

“If you had to tell someone how good you are, then you probably aren’t that good”

02 Carolina Skiff 175 RG Honda 90 -

VERY COOL! I’m sure the harbor will be a parking lot, be safe out there.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

Well, the good news is… I shouldn’t run in to it anymore…

skinneej, it depends which way your going during that 4 hour period:smiley:

quote:

Wow

Is this him 23:question:

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod
quote:

Wow

It took you over an hour?

You’re getting slow old man.

Going to be staying at the beach that week will
be looking forward to it.

Really cool, would love to get down to see that.

Also, let’s not talk about each other in bike shorts anymore.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?