Likely to double 401K in next 7 years?

So if you have a 100k or a million to play with, (just tossing out a random number)what do y’all think?

I know its all about making the right investment choices. Just wanting to get thoughts on what everyone is thinking about the next few years in general.

Thanks, NN

www.joinrfa.org/

Would need better than 10% interest over 7 years. Not likely. I think we are in for a bear market as the fed interest rest increases and risk becomes less tolerable. Best bet is to look at you distance from retirement and adjust risk accordingly. “Get rich quick” is the best way to get poor fast.

Got my Edward Jones statement today… :smiley::smiley::smiley:

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

Use the 720 rule to determine rate of return for you money doubling. Divide 720 by the number of months and you’ll get rate of return percentage. 720/84=8.57% Completely reasonable, but not the easiest number to achieve.

Rising interest rates will be a good thing for the overall economy. Money has been artificially way too cheap for a long time.

Just for information purposes, my 401k has a growth rate average of over 8.5% that’s over a 30 year span. The WORST long term average period I have is the last 10 years which covers the recession.
Split your investment over 4 or 5 mutual fund categories and enjoy the ride.

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boat drinks!

Both mine and my wife’s 401ks are performing at around 14% right now. I know it won’t last but its nice for now.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

A 401k is only worth what it’s worth the day one takes cash out … :wink:

Put it in the blandest index type funds you have and forget about it. This run we have had since the election sure has been nice.

If you can beat the S&P 500 by a point or two consistently, then you will be in good shape.

http://www.lowcountrypregnancycenter.com/

if you buy a boat you’ll know exactly how that investment will perform, no worrying, 100% predictable, just sayin’

Pioneer 197SF

Even if a market goes sideways for a year, it will have quite a few trough to peak moves of 5% or more. You can almost never hit it perfect, but can still get a nice ride if you establish the pattern, get in near the bottom of the dip and out near the top. Then sit on your cash and wait for the next pattern to form. I used to just buy and hold, but 2008 broke me out of that. I am however, always partially invested, but keep much more cash than I used to. SPY is my vehicle of choice.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

quote:
Originally posted by Reelly Old

A 401k is only worth what it’s worth the day one takes cash out … :wink:

That’s true for every type of investment. Doesn’t matter if it’s a car, house, fine art, stock, mutual fund, or anything else.

Just remember, the worst investment is cash. You are guaranteed a negative return rate because f inflation.

I have my 401k split between 5 mutual funds, covering large cap, small cap, hi cap growth ,REIT and foreign stock.
Got about 12.5% last year. Trying to ‘time’ the market fails for most folks.The best thing I ever did was nothing. By that I mean when the bottom fell out of the market I kept everything as was and kept my contributions going in. I just didn’t look at my statements for a year!But when things picked up i had a great run, not by being clever, just by not doing anything.
cheers

Once you become retired, preservation of capital becomes much more important. You are no longer making contributions or getting employer matching funds. A big downturn has more impact then. Plus you may be making withdrawals. You don’t want to take a 30% hit at that point and take ten years to get it back.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

A lot of my clients who are very close to retirement, (age 59 1/2 and older), use a strategy of taking “In-Service Withdrawals” from their 401(k) and rolling those proceeds into an IRA that offers some guarantees against loss. They still participate actively in the 401(k), but have placed a safety net on their ability to produce an income on the bulk of their retirement savings. This strategy involves the use of variable annuities with income riders and it’s not appropriate for everyone, but for those who are dependent on their 401(k) for the majority of their retirement income, not having to worry about what the markets do can add some piece of mind.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
George Orwell

Cash is King…

Market will start sobering up soon.

This isn’t a next week prediction, it’s 1-3 year one. Cash makes you able to flex and grab assets at rock bottom prices…

Once boomers start losing in the market due to a drop, and realize they may have to go work at a retail **** hole… The over sell will be on…

RBF

quote:
Originally posted by drterry

I have my 401k split between 5 mutual funds, covering large cap, small cap, hi cap growth ,REIT and foreign stock.
Got about 12.5% last year. Trying to ‘time’ the market fails for most folks.The best thing I ever did was nothing. By that I mean when the bottom fell out of the market I kept everything as was and kept my contributions going in. I just didn’t look at my statements for a year!But when things picked up i had a great run, not by being clever, just by not doing anything.
cheers

^^^^^^^^ This is the strategy I’ve followed for 30+ years. I’m 7-10 years from retirement, and don’t plan to make drastic changes to my strategy. What we do plan to do is have 2 paid for income producing properties which will provide 45-50% of our retirement income. Social Insecurity will be another piece of the pie (a small one) and dividend throw off from investments makes up the last piece.

Following the get rich slow plan. :smiley:

Gold/silver mining/royalty/streaming stocks

Little over 300% gain for me last year and off to a good start this year.

Skinner likes to post charts showing how equity markets outperform gold, but that hasn’t been true if you started in 2000. Gold blows most everything away (in general). People love to talk it down, but I just chuckle)

quote:
Originally posted by SchoolsOut1

Skinner likes to post charts showing how equity markets outperform gold, but that hasn’t been true if you started in 2000. Gold blows most everything away (in general). People love to talk it down, but I just chuckle)

Gold like diamonds if released mass scale from the huge stock piles all over the world, would be worth … ? maybe as much as silver, nickle, aluminum?

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:
Originally posted by SchoolsOut1

Gold like diamonds if released mass scale from the huge stock piles all over the world, would be worth … ? maybe as much as silver, nickle, aluminum?

uh, not quite.

I think you need to read up on gold and what it is/what it has almost always been. It is an unencumbered monetary asset.