Line, leader, and hook size - live bait rigs

In the process of replacing the line on my Striper rods for Fall Santee Striper fishing.

What line size, leader size, and hook is recommended?

We fish Murray almost exclusively utilizing live herring and rarely around a lot of timber. Perhaps we don’t think big enough, but have 14 pound on the reels, a three foot leader which is 12 pounds, and a 2 oz slip sinker with a plastic bead. Prefer size 2 or 1 Octopus Circle hooks. Perhaps it goes with our territory, but have never had occasion to fault our setup. I’m sure there are other preferences out there, especially with the “big bait” boys.

For most applications, I use 17 pound P-Line Fluoroclear as my main line with an ounce and half lead for downrods. The leader is usually 15 pound Seagar joined with a #7 barrel swivel. My leader is usually 4 feet. The hook is an Owner Mutu Light Circle #4 to 2/0 depending on bait size.

Of course I adjust this setup and will go heavier when fishing near timber or lighter when the fish are finicky.

Xpress HB-22
175 Yammy Jammer

Thanks for the replies.
I typically use 17 - 20 lb test on santee, but I’m thinking about downsizing to 12 or 15 mono with the same size flouro…

Fall fishing means planers for me…
Supplies I carry in my boat from nov-may

30# high vis mainline on 10 rods (boards, way back float, transom rod)
20# high vis mainline on 5 rods (couple downrods, freelines, close to the boat float)
Spool of 50-60# braid for stingers.
Gamakatsu octopus J’s ranging from 3/0-9/0
Owner 4x 1/0-2/0 trebles
Seagaur flouro 20 and 25#
Spro 100# swivels
5-6’ leaders

“All fisherman lie. And if they say otherwise, then they’re lying”

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by Murrymaker

Fall fishing means planers for me…
Supplies I carry in my boat from nov-may

30# high vis mainline on 10 rods (boards, way back float, transom rod)
20# high vis mainline on 5 rods (couple downrods, freelines, close to the boat float)
Spool of 50-60# braid for stingers.
Gamakatsu octopus J’s ranging from 3/0-9/0
Owner 4x 1/0-2/0 trebles
Seagaur flouro 20 and 25#
Spro 100# swivels
5-6’ leaders

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
140 Suzuki

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
DF90 Suzuki

:stuck_out_tongue: …lol… I was waiting on a comment like this. Or a “Are we still talking about striper fishing?”

It is what it is. I carry a fishing license in 4 states; I fish clean open water, open water with a ton of structure and shallow rocky rivers infested with stumps, trees, and all kinds of debris. Even fish one body of water that has enough floating algae/grass that it looks like the Edisto banks in the spring time and that stuff is really abrasive.

Not to mention fishing freshwaters that have three ability of giving up 50-70# fish. Yea it’s not common but you never know when it’s gonna be your turn.

I just have to be ready for anything…ha… had a buddy tell me one day he doesn’t own a hook bigger than a 2/0. I asked him if he had ever tried to put a 2/0 hook in a 3# bait?..

It’s all good everyone fishes differently.

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
140 Suzuki

You have an awesome woman at home Mr Chip.I’m sure you know what I mean. Ha

TOM GITTO
Team Keepn It Reel
Is this really happening, they were here yesterday.
20ft Sea Hunt cc Blue T Top

quote:
Originally posted by Murrymaker

:stuck_out_tongue:

Not to mention fishing freshwaters that have three ability of giving up 50-70# fish. Yea it’s not common but you never know when it’s gonna be your turn.

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
140 Suzuki

70 Lb. fish? Really? That would be a World Record for a freshwater striped bass.

Rick K
Tidewater 2200 Carolina Bay Boat
Yamaha 250 4 Stroke

One was found dead in TN some time ago that weighed 72. The guy who found it holds the current Tennessee record And Has Set it twice. don’t really think he has a reason to lie about it. But who knows…

He says the next World Record will come out of Tennessee. Two people that I have spoke to have said the same thing but both of them believe it’ll come out of different lakes.

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
140 Suzuki

Chip do we win a fishing trip in your boat if we guess all four states? Just kidding some good info thanks.