I have been remodeling our upstairs bathroom for a couple of months now. After 20 years of boy use, it needed an upgrade. My plan today was to put in the new faucet/drain and a couple of other minor cosmetic things and call it a day. I figured an hour or two at most. NOPE, it turned into a 4+ hour PITA and several tripe to Lowes/Home Depot.
Since I was putting in a new faucet, I figured I’d replace the water lines and the 22 year old valves. Got everything off, no problems and installed the new faucet and turned the water back on. LEAKS, slow drippy leaks.
I turned the water off and tried to tighten the valves, being very careful to not break anything and turned the water back on. Still small drips. I was getting pretty pissed at this point and wasn’t sure what to do.
I ended up taking the valves back off, cleaning the threads and used Rectorseal Thread Sealant instead of teflon tape. I had used a new “Max” teflon tape that I had never used before and I think it was the culprit. Once I reinstalled the valves with the thread sealant and turned the water back on, NO LEAKS. I have never had such problems with the plain old white teflon tape but, from now on I’m using thread sealant. Stick with what has worked in the past instead of being fooled into buying something “new” that makes bold claims.