Local boy to US Open Champion

Congrats to DJ. Guy seems to get a bad wrap for his troubled youth here in the Cola area, but I think he has matured tremendously after becoming a father. Happy to see the most naturally gifted golfer in the game today finally get a major. Go give a Royal Troon hell!

USGA should want a “mullickie” for that farce. For the casual viewer, this crap just turns people from the game. The judges shouldn’t take the spotlight, and also disrespect the player. It should look at intent, and make a ruling and move on. Happy to see the top players in the world didn’t sit on their hands, and voiced their disgust.

Hopefully CCU can bring home a CWS Championship as well. Would be a big month for sports for a tiny little college in Conway.

I am glad for him. I have always liked him for his golf ability, but he just needed some humbling, as we all do. I enjoy watching him play.

On the ruling thing. I couldn’t agree more. Wasn’t too long ago that they just took the golfers word for it and moved on. What happen to that? One more thing I would love to see the PGA do is to stop taking calls from viewers on infractions. Leave it to the golfers and rules officials on the course.

I haven’t seen the taking calls from viewers thing. This was a USGA gaff, not PGA. If it was a PGA event, they would haven taken his word on the 5th, and moved on. No issue. The USGA are a bunch of idiots that think they are bigger than the game. I’ll never be member or let my son be, unless he gets really good and has to in order to play competitively.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Congrats to DJ, he is a friend of our family and glad to see him finally pull out a major. I am already predicting he pulls off the MASTERS next year.

Sea Pro 210cc
Yamaha 200 4 Stroke
Dodge 1500 4x4 HEMI
2008 Corvette 3LT

Trouble is, HD TV and zoom lens and slow-mo ! I would have made the same call of 1 stroke, but would have made the call and the notice to the other players, before another shot was hit! If you looked at that ball it only moved when he put his club on the ground! What other call could have been made other than his actions caused it to move! The wind didn’t move it! He knew he did it, or he wouldn’t have notified the officials! I hope he keeps Paulina going up steps, in those short skirts:wink::smiley:

He didn’t ground his club. They said it moved from his practice swing in front of the ball. Impossible. You can see daylights under his club when he puts it behind the ball.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

The ball moved when he placed the club behind the ball! He saw it move and that’s the reason he called for a ruling! The official on the spot told him at that time that may be assessed a point! Only after reviewing the tape, could the call be made! DJ didn’t protest the call! Why are you?

It’s not worth the argument. Agree to disagree.

Regardless if he moved it or not. Ruling was made on the green, should have stood. USGA shouldn’t have screwed around. Totaly killed the moment watching the tournament. If a field judge isn’t binding, then they shouldn’t be there at all. The USGA wants to be in the headlines, not the players. Pretty sad.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Agreed, it was handled wrongly!

Gary Van Sickle, senior writer, Sports Illustrated (@GaryVanSickle): Unbelievable is the only word. Nice of Davis to apologize for delay in penalty assessment, a terrible mistake. But by Monday, he had plenty of time to recognize that Hall and Pagel had wrongly assessed a penalty and ignored USGA’s own definition that “unless the facts show that a player caused the ball to move,” there is no penalty. I lost a lot of respect for the USGA on this one. This can’t happen again.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/lee-westwood-gives-first-hand-account-of-absurd-dustin-johnson-usga-fiasco/