Looking for a different kayak

Hi everyone, I’m on the hunt for a different/additional kayak and I was hoping I could get some ■■■■■■■■ from the folks here. I am currently fishing out of a coosa hd which is a great yak but I’m looking for something that has more efficient hull. I’ve been looking at the cuda 14 and kraken 15.5 but haven’t had the opportunity to paddle one yet. Hopefully I’ll have a chance to paddle some different yaks in a few weeks. I’m a big guy so weight capacity is a factor. Any input you can offer is appreciated.

I have been using a West Marine Cayman. It’s 11.5 ft. Very stable, no chance of tipping. It’s a SOT and it’s easy to stand in it. Also has an elevated fishing seat, though I prefer to stand. It’s not fast but, I’m not looking to race anybody. Easy to handle, I can drop it in the back of my truck for transport. I like it’s simplicity. My 2 cents.

Keep on castin’

The Charleston Outdoor Festival is next weekend at the James Island County Park. They always have the lake lined with kayak and SUP vendors. They aren’t all fishing yaks but many of them are. Good opportunity to test out a handful and at least get a feel for what you want. I bet you can get a pretty good deal on one if you decide to buy.

19’ American Skiff Coral Bay

Thanks for the ■■■■■■■■ everyone. I’m planning on hitting up the outdoor festival for sure. Looking at the vendor list it looks like most of the big names are going to be there.

A few years ago I water tested a Cuda 12, Cuda 14, Ride 135, and both Slayers. I ended up with the Cuda 12 but would have bought the 14 if I lived in our area at the time.

A few years ago I water tested a Cuda 12, Cuda 14, Ride 135, and both Slayers. I ended up with the Cuda 12 but would have bought the 14 if I lived in our area at the time.

try out a hobi with the foot pedals- really fast and have both hands for fishing

I’ve pedaled a PA14 at demo day and it was a very nice boat but it might be too much for me to handle getting it to and from launch sites. I do want to try an outback if I get the opportunity.

Wilderness Ride 135, most popular kayak in Charleston area hands down!

Fellow big guy here…I paddled a number of yaks before I purchased one…for me stability was my number one deciding factor. I went with the Ocean Kayak Big Game 2. Weight capacity on this boat is 600+ lbs… It’s not the fastest, not the most expensive, but it is the most stable yak I’ve paddled.

2003 Key West 1720 Sportsman
2016 Ocean Kayak BG2

Some may consider me a larger person, and I have had many kayaks over the years, save time and money in the long run and go see Dave at timeout sports and get a Hobie Outback, plenty stable , plenty fast, hands free fishing and the ability to sit in the current and fish one spot is a game changer

I really appreciate all the ■■■■■■■■ everyone. It’s always good to hear what’s working out for other people. I’m hoping the outdoor fest will be a good opportunity to try some different yaks this weekend.

Did you end up finding your new kayak?

-Lewis
http://www.lowcountrykayakanglers.com
http://www.facebook.com/groups/lowcountrykayakanglers/

I’ve narrowed down my options a bit. Right now I’m leaning toward the cuda 14. I like the Wildy ATAK 140 as well. At some point I’m going to have to make up my mind.

I really like the Saturn fishing kayak, its inflatable but very versatile and tough, It can fish two people comfortably and you can stand up and fish it like a paddle board by yourself

DeeZ

I pulled the trigger last weekend and purchased a cuda 14. Shoutout to the great staff over at Timeout sports :slight_smile: hopefully I will have a chance to get it on the water this weekend. I want to say thank you to everyone who chimed in and offered ■■■■■■■■.

Congrats! Cuda 14 is a good kayak…

-Lewis
http://www.lowcountrykayakanglers.com
http://www.facebook.com/groups/lowcountrykayakanglers/

I know this is a little late. I bought a big rig from them and I love it. I’m 6’5’’ 350 pounds and it definitely totes the load.

fish sleep repeat