Looking for flats to fly fish on off isle of palms

Been making some trips to isle of palms on some weekends looking to do some fly fishing for redfish. Had some luck with some site fishing off of smaller creeks on incoming tides but looking for some more grass flats/places for site fishing. Anyone have any tips of places to start from out there? I have a 15ft skimmer skiff that can get in about 4 inches of water and a good pair of wading boots that I can hop out of the boat on. Would appreciate any advice!

Look up the are on Google earth and check out stuff that looks interesting via Boat when you visit. It’s much more rewarding to find your own spots rather than fish where others tell you to.

Or just wait for 40inchspottailpro to post up some areas that will get tons of pressure once the world reads about them on here.

I’ve done plenty of google earth for my trips. The one down side to google earth is it doesn’t give you a any of the local knowledge of how the tides work and what areas are best to fish during certain tides and which areas get flooded well etc. google earth is just a snap shot in time and can’t tell what tide is happening at that time which makes it tough. But thank you fore response!

I’ve done plenty of google earth for my trips. The one down side to google earth is it doesn’t give you a any of the local knowledge of how the tides work and what areas are best to fish during certain tides and which areas get flooded well etc. google earth is just a snap shot in time and can’t tell what tide is happening at that time which makes it tough. But thank you fore response!

the only way you’re going to get local knowledge is by spending time on the water with different tides and at different times. by doing this you’ll really learn where the fish are and when. It’ll take a while to really understand it all but it won’t take long until you find fish. Keep a journal of the tides and times you go and what went on that day and it’ll really help you out down the road.

East Cape EVOx

quote:
Originally posted by Syelverton

Been making some trips to isle of palms on some weekends looking to do some fly fishing for redfish. Had some luck with some site fishing off of smaller creeks on incoming tides but looking for some more grass flats/places for site fishing. Anyone have any tips of places to start from out there? I have a 15ft skimmer skiff that can get in about 4 inches of water and a good pair of wading boots that I can hop out of the boat on. Would appreciate any advice!

Where are you from and what’s your background? Have you been fly fishing long?

[/quote]

Where are you from and what’s your background? Have you been fly fishing long?

[/quote]

I’m originally from ms and have been fly fishing for the past 10 years down in Louisiana on a monthly basis for reds down there. I recently moved to Charlotte and have been making trips to Charlestown for fly fishing the past few months. Had some good luck every trip but mostly site fishing skinny waters I’ve found off the ICW on incoming tides where I can catch reds coming into small feeder creeks.

I’ve been wanting to try to find some grass flats to pole through or wade through but just don’t know where to start or what to look for on maps. It’s very different from Louisiana and Mississippi salt water fishing especially with the massive tides.

Sam

Sounds like you’re doing all the right things. Many of the good high tide flats are adjacent to the feeder creeks you’re finding fish at during other tides.

1994 Hewes Redfisher 18, 2004 Yamaha 150 VMAX
Malibu X-Factor Kayak