Looking for thoughts

After having a couple of ‘experiences’ in FMNF, I decided it was time to get my own land where I didn’t have to worry about who else was out there and whether they could tell a deer from a greyhound bus.

Just picked up 50 acres in the Kingstree area. Not the greatest land (right now its more pond than land), but it’s mine - and I want to try and make the best of it.

There is a timber deed on it that expires mid-next year, so I don’t think I can do too much yet. Hoping that others on the forum may lend some ideas-from-experience in helping a first-time hunting land owner get started in the right direction.

[EDIT] I may be sounding a little vague. I DO have my ideas of what I want to do with the land (foodplots, fruit trees, shooting lanes, etc). Hoping someone has those ‘I did this, but I should have done this first’ insights that only come from actually doing it.

Nothing but a bare spot on the lawn where the boat used to be

Check prevailing wind direction and how you will get in and out of stands.
Something that I have not done that I am going to do this year is hinge cutting to force deer movement.

Hunting, fishing, and poker are my sports. Work when necessary.

I know next to nothing about wildlife/land management but I would love to hear updates on what you do with the property

Sam Elliott
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJapLk9rt91Jop89mxRU7eg?

cross your fingers and hope it stays to wet or they are not able to harvest timber. :smiley:

Hardwood or pine? If hardwood look for oaks to sit by this fall. I would find out who adjacent land owners are and feel them out on what kind of hunting they do or do not do. Hopefully no dog hunters near by, if so to keep peace, good fences make good neighbors. I’d start simple until timber harvest is over, put out a bunch of game camera’s and get a feel for what you have and where they like to travel/bed.

On the pond thing, maybe look into ditching property or digging a pond and us dirt for back fill in low areas. When the hunting is no good a nice landscaped and stocked pond sure is nice. Don’t get in a rush! Rome wasn’t built in a day!

Good Luck! Nothing like you own property to hunt!

Ponds are agreat pinch point, with good bedding area near by and a food food plot or feeder. Sounds like a good starting place.

Post an areal photo.

Sabalo 21 150 Yamaha

Key West Stealth 150 V-max (SOLD)

Start simple and work your way up. You have no idea if you are going to like this place or not so feel it out for a year.

Simple:

• Cut shooting lanes
  • Ladder stands or build stands in trees
  • focusing on hunting trails, roads, fence lines, natural shooting lanes
  • once you feel it's safe to do so put cameras up
  • gravity feeders and corn (it may take the deer months to get used to these)
  • posted signs if you think they wont rub people the wrong way, aka taunt them into hunting your land
  • mineral blocks
  • LOCKED gates ALL ROADS in
  • Walk the land a lot so you are familiar with it

If your cameras don’t disappear or catch neighbors on your land you probably found a decent place. Be prepared for people to tear down your posted signs and steal your cameras/stands if they find them.

After a season and you decide if the juice is worth the squeeze consider stepping it up

• clear out shooting lanes and turn them into food plots (soil test, lime, fertilizer, seed, poison, plowing)
  • get automatic corn feeders
  • Build box stands
  • fertilize existing feed trees (oak, plum, crab apple)

You in it for the long hauls?

• clearing land for larger food plots
  • controlled burning for forest management
  • planting feed trees (oak, fruit, etc)

I say start simple because there is A LOT that CAN be done but you will take your lumps along the way. You don’t want to waste time and money planting trees if you find out your neighbor sucks and runs dogs through every week, or cameras constantly walk away, or you have major poaching problems forcing you to change places. Be careful doing some of this alone because some of these activities can gravely injure you. Not to burst your bubble but 50 acres is small. It won’t feel private if you have a busy road nearby. It is very easy for somebody for somebody to walk in and out of a small piece of land li

Start simple and work your way up. You have no idea if you are going to like this place or not so feel it out for a year.

Simple:

• Cut shooting lanes
  • Ladder stands or build stands in trees
  • focusing on hunting trails, roads, fence lines, natural shooting lanes
  • once you feel it's safe to do so put cameras up
  • gravity feeders and corn (it may take the deer months to get used to these)
  • posted signs if you think they wont rub people the wrong way, aka taunt them into hunting your land
  • mineral blocks
  • LOCKED gates ALL ROADS in
  • Walk the land a lot so you are familiar with it

If your cameras don’t disappear or catch neighbors on your land you probably found a decent place. Be prepared for people to tear down your posted signs and steal your cameras/stands if they find them.

After a season and you decide if the juice is worth the squeeze consider stepping it up

• clear out shooting lanes and turn them into food plots (soil test, lime, fertilizer, seed, poison, plowing)
  • get automatic corn feeders
  • Build box stands
  • fertilize existing feed trees (oak, plum, crab apple)

You in it for the long hauls?

• clearing land for larger food plots
  • controlled burning for forest management
  • planting feed trees (oak, fruit, etc)

I say start simple because there is A LOT that CAN be done but you will take your lumps along the way. You don’t want to waste time and money planting trees if you find out your neighbor sucks and runs dogs through every week, or cameras constantly walk away, or you have major poaching problems forcing you to change places. Be careful doing some of this alone because some of these activities can gravely injure you. Not to burst your bubble but 50 acres is small. It won’t feel private if you have a busy road nearby. It is very easy for somebody for somebody to walk in and out of a small piece of land li

Thanks to all for sharing your experience.

Quite a few things here that I had not thought of but make complete sense once raised.

Nothing but a bare spot on the lawn where the boat used to be