Looking to rent inside storage for 31 Contender

OK, I’ll apologize now if this isn’t technically the correct forum for posting what I’m in search of. I have posted in the Classifieds section as well, but I’m thinking more folks will respond here.

We’re seriously looking to rent secure inside storage space for a 31 Contender on a trailer. Height is 11 feet; Width is 9 feet, 6 inches; and Length is 42 feet. The boat is presently stored in a warehouse on James Island, but we’re seriously looking for something else. We live on Johns Island within the limits of the City of Charleston and would prefer keeping the boat within 10 miles or so of home.

ANY ideas are very much appreciated. Please email or call Andi at 209 2522 if you have any thoughts. We’d prefer something private as opposed to commercial, but we’ll consider everything. Can’t keep the boat at home due to HOA restrictions, and we’re not putting bottom paint on to keep it in the water at a Marina.

THANKS SO MUCH!

I wouldn’t want to keep it in the water either. Have you considered a dry stack? We kept a 34 Fountain at Dolphin Cove and at Duncan’s Boat Harbor (which is now under a different name–the one by the bridge at Leeds). I’m not sure, but I think you might have a chance at Daniel Island and the one under the Ravenel bridge. Some of these dry stacks will also have a place for you to keep your trailer. You might want to call around. One more thought is that you may be able to store it at the James Island Yacht Club if you join it. Godspeed.

Gotcha Covered,
Lee Strickland
Strickland Marine Insurance, Inc.
843-795-1000 / 800-446-1862

Thanks, Lee. Thought dry stack max length was 30 feet, so I can look into that now.

I have looked all over Charleston for this. Unless you rent a commercial warehouse or space it does not exist.

I ended up with my 31’ CC over at Atlantis Marine off of Hyw 41 in Mt Pleasant. It’s a covered barn with 3 sides but keeps the sun and weather off the boat. They have a ramp that you will be allowed access to if you rent a space. The only problem is the 41 bridge over the Wando. At a very high tide I can’t get under. But they are supposed to one day replace that bridge with another one.

Anyway the place is great and I know he has space available. It’s a ways from James Island. It’s nice not having to fight for a parking space at the ramp on the 4th of July weekend.

quote:
Originally posted by h20gul

Thanks, Lee. Thought dry stack max length was 30 feet, so I can look into that now.

They told us that too (no bigger than 30 feet), until we begged. :smiley: It’s a comfort factor, and they’ll do it sometimes. Check with Dolphin Cove, Andi, and with the other one on the Ashley. We kept both a 31 and a 34 at those dry stacks. The only problem we had was that our 34 had a stepped hull, and the forks would occasionally hit the step. The 31 Contender (and the 31 Fountain) is not stepped, so you won’t have that problem. The only other issue was whether the fork lifts and bunks could handle the boat, and they can at those two marinas (unless something has changed).

Gotcha Covered,
Lee Strickland

P.S.

Andi, look at the home page of this site, and see the Daniel Island Marina ad. Their ad says they have dry stack space available for up to 34 footers. Their website also says they take up to 33 footers. http://old.charlestonfishing.com/advertising/yft/index.htm

Gotcha Covered,
Lee Strickland

Well, it looks as if there are some options. Keeping the boat out of the sun and weather are the important factors. Thanks for information, fellas! You don’t know if you don’t ask, right?

the old Berle’s on Folly Road (same shopping center as Buffalo South) is now advertising for boat storage.

And the sea shall grant each man new hope as sleep brings dreams of home ~ Don Cristobol

The Morris Island Lighthouse web page
www.savethelight.org

thats where they have it now Bonzo…but we can all go to Buffalo south there and have a burger and talk about it some more:smiley:

miss’n fish’n
212 SEAHUNT

go talk to Duke at Dukes Marine, he might know where you can keep it

Rivers Edge off Leeds will stack a 31…good price on gas too.

Yeah, Rivers Edge. That’s the one that used to be Duncans where we kept one of our 31’s. Couldn’t think of the name.

Gotcha Covered,
Lee Strickland

Thanks for all the responses! I think we’ve got a place that couldn’t be any more convenient except for home, thanks to another fishing buddy who reads these posts!

Hey, Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!!! I know I’m thankful.

Andi:
Sounds like you got it figured out, but one more option, and I can’t help but plug two of the advertisers on here with this. St. Johns Yacht Harbor has lifts available, and T Top covers makes one heck of a boat cover that is easy to install. I keep my Contender covered year around and everytime I get in it I swear it is cleaner than when I kept it in my shed West Ashley. The cover is so easy to use I can put it on in by myself in under 5-minutes even on a lift. You guys could have the boat in the neighborhood and never have to worry about trailering it. Jack would also have a nice cleaning table to clean all those dolphin you catch! I know it is not inside storage, but it would be very convenient.

Are they leasing slips at St. Johns? I thought they were selling them. If they are leasing them, that’s good to know. Pretty convienient for folks on John’s Island and James Island.

Gotcha Covered,
Lee Strickland

I keep a 31’ Contender @ Daniel Island Marina and have been very pleased with their service