Loop to loop fail

I was setting up a new fly line/leader/tippet today. I used a furled leader that has a loop connection on both ends. Fly line to leader loop connection was ok, figure 8 knot. However the tippet loop to loop connection always ends up with a girth hitch. What am I doing wrong? I eventually forsake the loop connection and went with an albright knot tp connect the tippet.

oc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spnFKLdl790

I don’t fish a furled leader, but I always blood knot my tippet to my leader. I use a perfection loop (link above) in the butt section of my leader for the loop/loop connection to my fly line, though. I like how straight the running line exits the loop.

1994 Hewes Redfisher 18, 2004 Yamaha 150 VMAX
Malibu X-Factor Kayak

Thanks Ben, I know how to tie the perfection loop. My issue is: why do two perfection loops when joined end up with a girth hitch instead of a figure 8. I think it has to do with the differecne in the diameter of the leader vs. the diameter of the tippet. Thankfully there are many ways to skin a cat.

oc

quote:
I think it has to do with the difference in the diameter of the leader vs. the diameter of the tippet.

Exactly!

Even if both are close in diameter, if the leader material is a lot stiffer than the tippet material you can also get the same problem particularly in lighter test strengths.

What was the difference in diameter or test?

The leader material was very stiff, probably 40# mono. Tippet was 12# test fluorocarbon. Not a match made in fly fishing heaven. Hope to get on the salt this weekend.

oc

Does the leader not taper at all down near the tippet? What’s the reason you’re using a furled leader vs. a tapered mono leader? Forgive my ignorance – I have zero experience with furled leaders.

I usually use a tapered mono leader – I wait until Orvis or someone is having a sale, then I usually pick up several of them for 2-3 bucks a piece. If I tie my own, I usually only do 3 sections – 4’, 3’, then 2’ of whatever my tippet is. I really only tie my own up if I want to do something fancy, like have a full fluoro leader in order to help the fly sink just a little more.

1994 Hewes Redfisher 18, 2004 Yamaha 150 VMAX
Malibu X-Factor Kayak

I have several furled leaders (purchased) & all have a taper to them. IMO, for the leader he has, 20 lb or heavier tippet might be a better choice than 12. Of course, nothing says he couldn’t add a section of 12 to 20 lb either, if it doesn’t result in a leader/tippet combination that isn’t too long for him to cast & control.

Bryson, I usually make my leaders in 3 sections too with a 20 lb tippet, but have at times gone to 4 sections with 15 lb tippet added to the 20 lb. This is a leader & tippet in the 9 to 10 ft length range, where the 3 sections results in 7 to 9 ft lengths.

Ah I see what you’re sayin. I always snug down the loops when first connecting, but occasionally after casting a while will end up w that girth hitch even with 20 to 15 lb connections. Does it on its own somehow. My suspicion is it has to do with stiffness or diameter like others have said. I just try to combat by setting the loops firmly for a couple secs to educate the lines. Might ask on microskiff.com bet somebody there has a solution.