Lost interest and hope

As a young man in the upstate and raising two boys I had the benefit
of hunting most any where for anything in season,deer,rabbit,tree rats,dove and so on. Land to hunt was within an easy drive and with
a WMA permit, not very expensive. And then they arrived;
HUNT CLUBS Mostly out of state big money clubs ,leasing out thousands of acres of what was WMA lands at prices
the state could not match. Land owners to blame! no not really, they have the right to sell to the highest bidder so to say. I think the state should have and should still impose a seriously high lease fee
tax on out of state lease holders and impose a Kill fee for each game
animal/bird taken. Use all moneys to lease the WMA back and to put the wardens back to work!!!I drove down to the mid-state
yesterday , there was more paper on the trees ““posted signs”” than a paper mill could produce!!! IMHO my grands will never know
the joys of just going out nearby to hunt.:angry::angry:
Any body else got any ideas???:smiley:

<font color="red"><u><b>AGREE OR DISAGREE IF SOMETHING DRASTIC ISN'T DONE SOON
         THERE WILL BE NO PLACES LEFT FOR OUR GRANDS.</b></u></font id="red">

[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Buy your own land and don’t rely on the government.

The first rule of fight club is…

As the population grows and the wild areas shrink, higher demand and lower supply will mean that these land resources will become more and more valuable. I agree that steps need to be taken to preserve open hunting land for SC residents, but adding taxes on out-of-staters and adding restrictions and regulation to the leasing process is going to have a lot of collateral damage.

I am very wary of impinging on other peoples landowner rights or assessing more taxes for this that would affect their income… bad juju for SC residents who may need that income to pay their property taxes and keep family land in the family.

never implied on taking money out of landowner pockets just get it from out of state land grabbers that can afford to pay these higher
leases so that state can maintain payments to owners. If every one
could afford their own land we wouldn’t be having this issue!!!:angry:

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

Serious question, Gail. Do you believe in the free market?

And, frankly, I find it hard to believe that someone can’t afford to buy a piece of land…some size, somewhere. Now, it might mean he/she can’t buy the newest jacked up pickup truck every two years, or take out a loan to buy the newest glitter boat every two years. In other words, it might take some hard work and sacrifice, but property ownership is attainable for anyone.

quote:
Originally posted by Warbler

And, frankly, I find it hard to believe that someone can’t afford to buy a piece of land…some size, somewhere. Now, it might mean he/she can’t buy the newest jacked up pickup truck every two years, or take out a loan to buy the newest glitter boat every two years. In other words, it might take some hard work and sacrifice, but property ownership is attainable for anyone.

Another serious question, if a person is hunting to buy land to hunt on, just what acreage do you think is acceptable? 5, 10, 15, 100, 500?

Sorry Gail I had to ask warber that out of curiosity. On the flip side, I wish I would have listened to Dad sooner. He always said to invest in land as there was no more being made.

Gail, I’d say your best bet is to net work and get to know some land owners and show in person that you are a responsible man and you have strict control over your kids. There are still a lot of people that enjoy having others enjoy their property.

Also, still a lot of Government/state land that we can all use that has been put aside for many future generations. Good luck!

fred67
Thanks for the comments, as for me ,I’m long past even thinking about where to hunt anymore I only fish now, easier on the body!!!
It just pi#@#% me off to see all the paper on the trees in areas that used to be OPEN. It just seems to me that big money rules, as for some of the replys here ,they just justify my thoughts on the subject.
I served this country in uniform for over 27 yrs to allow people to
believe and practice their beliefs and to exercise those beliefs, I do take offence at those that use their “money power” to take away
the resources of this great land from the ones that can’t buy their own. Most folks have no choice but to prioritize on how or what they spend their money on. The coming generations that aren’t born with the perverbial silver spoon up their ##s are the ones that will
never know how great this country once was for the average AMERICAN!
Note my signature , it tells it all.
My bad!! I just have to vent somewhere, thanks:smiley:

author unknown

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:

Another serious question, if a person is hunting to buy land to hunt on, just what acreage do you think is acceptable? 5, 10, 15, 100, 500?

Sorry Gail I had to ask warber that out of curiosity. On the flip side, I wish I would have listened to Dad sooner. He always said to invest in land as there was no more being made.

Gail, I’d say your best bet is to net work and get to know some land owners and show in person that you are a responsible man and you have strict control over your kids. There are still a lot of people that enjoy having others enjoy their property.

Also, still a lot of Government/state land that we can all use that has been put aside for many future generations. Good luck!

What’s acceptable in terms of how someone else uses their property is really not up to me, but I’d think one could have a lot of fun on even a small tract. 5 acres? Maybe. Obviously, the smaller the tract the closer you are to your neighbors all the time so safety will limit some activities.

quote:
Originally posted by gail wins

fred67
Thanks for the comments, as for me ,I’m long past even thinking about where to hunt anymore I only fish now, easier on the body!!!
It just pi#@#% me off to see all the paper on the trees in areas that used to be OPEN. It just seems to me that big money rules, as for some of the replys here ,they just justify my thoughts on the subject.
I served this country in uniform for over 27 yrs to allow people to
believe and practice their beliefs and to exercise those beliefs, I do take offence at those that use their “money power” to take away
the resources of this great land from the ones that can’t buy their own. Most folks have no choice but to prioritize on how or what they spend their money on. The coming generations that aren’t born with the perverbial silver spoon up their ##s are the ones that will
never know how great this country once was for the average AMERICAN!
Note my signature , it tells it all.
My bad!! I just have to vent somewhere, thanks:smiley:

author unknown

I really don’t know what to say. You and I have a different belief system, I guess. In any event, thank you for serving this country.

It’s particularly bad on our coast. Go out west and there’s millions of acres of public land.

gail Most dog clubs are state run and owned.
Why do you think they are mostly out of state?
and, what difference does it make?
I was a resident of SC for 35 years and bought my 171 acre piece of paradise 15 years ago.
If I still live in SC full time or not has nothing to do with my property rights.
The neighboring owners had the opportunity to buy it back then and chose not to because they had been running dogs through it without owning it and saw no need to pay for something they had been hunting for free, That is Bullxxxx.
I am older like you and when I was in 8th grade we brought our shotguns to school and checked them in with the principle and then hunted rabbits on the way home. AND, believe it or not, that was in South Jersey, which was farm country back then. I remember when I was 20 yrs old and went to hunt tree rats in my old stomping grounds and found a housing development there, and that was in the 60’s.
The world is changing. We are getting more crowded. It is more important to respect the laws.
50 years ago, my family lived in Key West. we would pull our john boat behind us as we waded for lobster and conch. You can no longer do that.
I was not born with a silver spoon. we were of very modest means. Family of 5 living in a 2BR 1 bath home that pop paid $8K for. I now make a lot of money because of hard work, much study, taking risk that most were afraid to make. Failed 3 times before making it.
I really resent the mindset of people that think that most successful people were lucky.
What I know is that the quality of one’s life is based on the quality of one’s decisions. WANT A BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE, MAKE BETTER DECISIONS.

Hunting, fishing, and poker are my sports. Work when necessary.

quote:
Originally posted by Partners-Ship

gail Most dog clubs are state run and owned.
Why do you think they are mostly out of state?
and, what difference does it make?
I was a resident of SC for 35 years and bought my 171 acre piece of paradise 15 years ago.
If I still live in SC full time or not has nothing to do with my property rights.
The neighboring owners had the opportunity to buy it back then and chose not to because they had been running dogs through it without owning it and saw no need to pay for something they had been hunting for free, That is Bullxxxx.
I am older like you and when I was in 8th grade we brought our shotguns to school and checked them in with the principle and then hunted rabbits on the way home. AND, believe it or not, that was in South Jersey, which was farm country back then. I remember when I was 20 yrs old and went to hunt tree rats in my old stomping grounds and found a housing development there, and that was in the 60’s.
The world is changing. We are getting more crowded. It is more important to respect the laws.
50 years ago, my family lived in Key West. we would pull our john boat behind us as we waded for lobster and conch. You can no longer do that.
I was not born with a silver spoon. we were of very modest means. Family of 5 living in a 2BR 1 bath home that pop paid $8K for. I now make a lot of money because of hard work, much study, taking risk that most were afraid to make. Failed 3 times before making it.
I really resent the mindset of people that think that most successful people were lucky.
What I know is that the quality of one’s life is based on the quality of one’s decisions. WANT A BETTER QUALITY OF LIFE, MAKE BETTER DECISIONS.

Lost me on the first sentence.

Flying
I see it is confusing. My error.
I meant to say owned by people that live in SC, not run by the state.

quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

It’s particularly bad on our coast. Go out west and there’s millions of acres of public land.

Montana, comes to mind! There are still families living with no public power. Crazy big country. Alsaska maybe? :smiley: Have driven miles and miles in North Dakota and had to turn around cause there were no gas stations and the few jerry cans in the truck were half gone.

I do agree, our southern coast is becoming very populated. No matter, I’ll die here.

quote:

What’s acceptable in terms of how someone else uses their property is really not up to me, but I’d think one could have a lot of fun on even a small tract. 5 acres? Maybe. Obviously, the smaller the tract the closer you are to your neighbors all the time so safety will limit some activities.

I’d agree a lot of fun with a large safety berm could be fun shooting, not much for hunting unless it was a few cotton tails or maybe some ground running squirrels.

We use to hunt WMA land in Kershaw and Fairfild Cty. Years ago most of the better parts of it got leased up by clubs. Several from out of NC. I guess I am lucky my mom has 120 ac of family land and a camp on the Edisto R. We fish and hunt deer, turkey, hogs, and squirrels there. We use to dog hunt it with a club bordering us. That is how everyone hunted in the area back then. Had some good times. Now it is Plum Cr and all still hunting around us. No more dogs. A lot more houses around. We did better back in the day still hunting than we do now with corn piles and feeders all over the place.

Even so I look to more DNR, NWR, and NF draw & permit hunts. I like to bird hunt and duck hunt too. Today that’s hard to find in SC. We dove hunt State and Fed fields and do good. There are some cheese deer, turkey, and duck hunts on drawings around. Ducks are tougher - I’m older and now leaning toward a guided hunt a year to get my fill.
Yes the times have changed.

J Ford

I rest my case, I guess you have had to have been there to understand
the original post!!!:roll_eyes:

author unknown

I feel your frustration. I moved to Lake Wylie (Clover, SC) to get away from Charlotte 15 years ago and now everyone has decided they want to live here and all the leased/hunting property close to my house has been developed into subdivisions and half million dollar houses. …and good luck if you want to try and duck hunt on Lake Wylie. In the past 10 years every good spot now has a dock and a house within 100 yards.

So I’m planning on buying some land and in the meantime I’ve embraced “suburban bowhunting” …and it is quite productive. 2 eight pointers in my back yard this year. It is definitely not the same as being way out in the woods and you run the risk of shooting a deer and having it die in your neighbors yard.